• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: England - Georgia (18-09-2011, 18:00)

Who would you like to see starting?

• Total voters
Woops, thought this match was on when the Canada match was and vice versa :lol:

Shhiiiiiii- Will have to watch it (though maybe only the 2nd half, by the sounds of it :p on ITVplayer)

Reading through this thread though I've lost a lot of respect for the pathetic petty little worms wishing injury on someone for celebrating a try.
Get. A. Life.

what a "cameo" by Matt Banahan, got the ball three times and two of them he thought he could do Sonny Bill Williams offloads, and failed miserably

did Georgia beat the bookies handicap?

decent performance, much more heart than Italy offered earlier this year and 41-10 wasn't really a fair reflection of the match, if only Kvirikashvili had his kicking boots ... he's not normally that poor a kicker

a few of England's backline think they are better than they really are, Youngs, Flood, Ashton, Armitage, Banahan, Foden all look very arrogant and try to do things that they're not good enough to do

I think good points for England were Haskell who has improved a lot and is now better than Easter in my opinion, both locks are so much better than that phantom plod Louis Deacon

Hartley may have cost himself a starting place against Scotland, he was poor

Georgia need to rest and then focus on Romania and then give their all against Argentina, it would be nice to at least get a losing bonus point from one of the matches against the main 3 nations in the pool

Gorgodze was man of the match, not often you see a member of a losing team by that margin given that award

also positive for Georgia is that Basilaia (despite having terrible handling which must be improved) has justified his starting place, as has Gigauri who has been solid at full back, the front row did well although the lineout was messy

I still don't know why Malaguradze hasn't had a chance yet though

Must be hard watching a team score tries against Georgia......

Not actually, some of the English tries were quite good in terms of skill and pace.

Yaaaasss!!! At last the English have started taking shots at me, taken a year but better late than never :D

Gorgodze was man of the match, not often you see a member of a losing team by that margin given that award

yeah, not trying to take anything away from his performance or Georgia's in general, but unless you go to Parrisse-style lengths to carry your team in the face of defeat, then giving MOTM to someone on the wrong side of a 30 point drubbing is an absolute pisstake.

Not that it matters at all, but there were a few England players who had pretty good games - Shaw and Armitage being the standouts - and giving MOTM to Georgia is a mere gesture, a sympathy vote.

A percentage of the MOTM award is decided by the public (voting on the website/phone app) as well, so it depends how many people voted that didn't want an English player to win it

Hartley may have cost himself a starting place against Scotland, he was poor
lol, if there's anything we've learnt in the past year, it's that Thompson is by far our best hooker.

Also, a bit harsh on some of the players you've said are looking arrogant. Some are out of form, some just back from injury, but we've seen that all (except Banahan) have shown that they can play skilful rugby.

Another thing to consider is that it seems that every time we change our team, a player who gets dropped comes off the bench to play a good game by their recent standards (Croft), players who get brought into the team because of good recent performances have poor games (Stevens, Youngs), players who have gotten a bit of stick in the media recently have played beyond themselves (Hape, Shaw?). I think we need to start our best team from now on and stick to it, changing only when necessary (bad form/injury).

I don't think it's clear who we should play at 10. I'd suggest starting Romania with Flood and switching to Wilkinson at half-time. It's no use bringing the second fly-half on after the second scrum-half has been brought on. Changing the scrum-half changes the type and speed of delivery that the 10 gets. We need to see both Flood and Wilkinson perform outside Youngs (likely our first-choice scrum-half). Romania shouldn't be as much of a challenge as Georgia was up-front, so let's see what Flood can do when our forwards are actually getting us some possession, and then what Wilkinson does. Then we can bring on our second scrum-half ~70-75 minutes in.

The score flattered England, I would hardly call it a drubbing. I think it would have been something like 25 to 31 going into the final quarter if Georgia had a decent goal kicker.

England were woeful at the breakdown and they will get crucified by better opposition.

Don't have a problem with Englands players showboating a bit scoring tries, it would be far more disrespectul I think if they were all nonchalant and 'cool' about it cos it's only Georgia, just shows that they respect the opposition and are generally excited scoring against them.

Im a big fan of Haskell and think he has to start, but it cant be at number 8. He plays well around the park but he just doesnt have the handling and footballing ability of Easter which we do need. He just hasnt had enough practice at the base of the scrum either, he is nowhere near as good at the base as Easter. This is sounding like I really rate Easter, but I dont. I think Haskell will be a great 8 but he needs practice for a club and he needs to sort his work at the base or its just not good enough against a good team.

9.Youngs
10. god knows

I really dont see why people are panicking about fly half. I still rate Jonny as one of the worlds best fly halves, all the players do aswell, and combined with that Toby Flood is also a very good option, and while I would prefer to see Jonny start I am perfectly confident in both of them (less so Flood under pressure). I didnt feel against Argentina Wilkinson did much wrong (bad day with boot aside) England gave away so many penalties at the breakdown there was not alot he could do, and all the ball he got was deathly slow.

I just love how we are all celebrating a mediocre performance against Georgia, Eng won against a side which if their fitness was better could have turned out to be a completely different game and not to mention penalty after penalty missed by Georgia and as for Ashton, that little celebratory dive gives when scores is going to cost Eng big time in a crucial match one day.This English side as it is now is not going to see the semis.

The score flattered England, I would hardly call it a drubbing. I think it would have been something like 25 to 31 going into the final quarter if Georgia had a decent goal kicker.
Well, Georgia missed 4 kicks which would have brought Georgia up to 22 points. Even with a decent kicker, it would be a lot to ask for 100% kick success. Also, remember that the first 15 minutes of the first half was spent in England's half with Georgia accumulating territory and missing penalties. Every missed penalty has England kicking from within their 22, giving possession back to Georgia in England's half. If Georgia had gotten their first penalty, it would have been an England kick from the halfway line, meaning Georgia would have to start from much deeper to try and get their next penalty decision, so I'm not convinced that they'd have gotten the same amount of penalties if they'd have been more successful with the boot.

Also, if we're playing "ifs", if England had taken a back off instead of Wood when Hartley got the yellow card, then it's likely that Wood would have made the tackle to stop the Georgia try.

England were woeful at the breakdown and they will get crucified by better opposition.
It's been awful for a few games and we've beaten Ireland and Argentina. Neither of them were sensational either, mind. Yeah, that's definitely concern #1 at the minute.

Last edited:
I just love how we are all celebrating a mediocre performance against Georgia, Eng won against a side which if their fitness was better could have turned out to be a completely different game and not to mention penalty after penalty missed by Georgia and as for Ashton, that little celebratory dive gives when scores is going to cost Eng big time in a crucial match one day.This English side as it is now is not going to see the semis.
I don't know. If we come top of our group (and we're nearly there...), then it's likely that we'll face France in the quarters. They haven't had a sensational tournament either, so far. Canada and Japan have both held France to a tight score up until the end of the match, when France (like us) have pulled away. Then we'd have Ireland/Wales/Samoa. We could even stutter all the way to the final without playing well.

Think that went as expected, Georgia played well but England had the fitness and skills to win the game convincingly even if they weren't at 100%

Armitage had a good game, made meters every time he ran with the ball. Still the problem with dicsipline, how many penalties did they give away, it was 8-1 at one stage.

Flood did enough to keep the shirt for Romania. Also would like to see Hape given another go - neither he nor Tindall scare opposition in the slightest, but at least Hape has the ability to get the ball to Tuilagi.

Looking slightly better as a whole but mustn't forget that it was Georgia hardly the best team in the world and for a team that is ranked 4th I would have expected a better margin. Hape did well although against a more organised defence I suspect he would have been closed down - he doesn't off load as much as people think. Youngs Flood combo doing well as it does for Leicester, just want to see us utilise Tuilagi more in attack. Armitage put in another decent performance on the wing, Haskell showed some good stuff too. Think Stevens should be reserved as a replacement like Wilko as in my opinion they both have a greater impact on the game off the bench.

Gentlemen, we are missing the real point of this game...

Shaw is not going to stop, ever, until he is shot.

(lets hope he never stops)

Latest posts