• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Springboks - Samoa (30-09-2011, 20:30)

We won the game and thats that. Thank you. Who's next?

This game is the shame of world rugby.

No, the way France played against the Kiwi's was a shame (actually pathetic)! This was a awesome game between two of the physical sides of rugby.

Not sure if all the Saffers here should be as confident as they seem ahead of the Australia match.

Get over yourself. I am even more confident now. Samoa would have wiped the Irish noses in the floor toady with their physicality.

South Africa were very lucky.

Lucky se moer.

Jeez guys, how about congratulating us for comming out on top of brutal game of rugby. You obviously fear us thus all these rubbish comments. This IS the pool of death and wewon it against some excellent teams.

How about just a "Well done bokke" Good luck for the next round against the Ausies.

Tense game! My heart is still racing...

The Samoans did really well when attacking, but once again the better defense won the game and better discipline!

I must say the Red Card was justice after the numerous negative play by the Samoans throughout the game. Can't see why everyone is giving Brussouw such a hard time for trying to get Williams off him, throughout the year there has been stuff like that especially in the super 15 and never was it penalised... Williams should've let him go immediately and Brussouw was well within his rights to try to keep him off! as for Williams Retaliation, well it deserved a card. the colour didn't really matter as there was 10 minutes left anyways.

Bruising encounter this was, but necessary for the Boks going forward in the tournament... Just what we needed to boost ourselves even more come QF's. Bring on the Aussies!

I'm just interested in the ruling. Perhaps someone can clarify.

10.4 DANGEROUS PLAY AND MISCONDUCT
(a) Punching or striking. A player must not strike an opponent with the fist or arm, including
the elbow, shoulder, head or knee(s).
Sanction: Penalty kick
(b) Stamping or trampling. A player must not stamp or trample on an opponent.
(c) Kicking. A player must not kick an opponent.
(d) Tripping. A player must not trip an opponent with the leg or foot.

Jeez guys, how about congratulating us for comming out on top of brutal game of rugby. You obviously fear us thus all these rubbish comments. This IS the pool of death and wewon it against some excellent teams.

I agree with this. While the game had the chance of slipping away from you in the end, 1st place in the group never seemed like it wasn't going to happen once the matches got underway.

Congratulations on the win, look forward to beating you in the semi-final. :p

How about just a "Well done bokke" Good luck for the next round against the Ausies.[/QUOTE]

Blade, they have no respect for the green and gold. Samoa lost but i did congratulate them for a great game!!!

I agree with this. While the game had the chance of slipping away from you in the end, 1st place in the group never seemed like it wasn't going to happen once the matches got underway.

Congratulations on the win, look forward to beating you in the semi-final. :p

Good luck, you will have to work for it though

well done Boks, hope there are no more injuries after that game. samoan team definitely fitter and more organised than they have been in previous WCs. weak areas still set-piece and short tempers.

It's a matter of showing grace in defeat and humble in victory...

The Samoans really played amazingly. but their negative play off the ball cost them.

Very impressed Samoa held South Africa to a tight scoreline, been very impressed with South Africa all tournament, even though they had close games against Samoa and Wales, they showed a lot of mental toughness to win these games, however I do believe based on this game NZ will carve them up :D

I noticed though in this game and the game against Wales, South Africa started out really strong and fast, scoring early then let the opposition back into it. If they continued to start well and don't fall off they could be really hard for NZ to beat

Last edited:

No, the way France played against the Kiwi's was a shame (actually pathetic)! This was a awesome game between two of the physical sides of rugby.

Get over yourself. I am even more confident now. Samoa would have wiped the Irish noses in the floor toady with their physicality.

Lucky se moer.

How about just a "Well done bokke" Good luck for the next round against the Ausies.

congrats to the boks they they deserved their win tonight. what a battle aye! looking forward to the game against the aussies

Overall a pretty good game. It was a pity that Samoa didn't really turn up until after half-time! South Africa certainly dominated the set pieces, and their rolling maul was very impressive. I still think they have weaknesses with their first-up defense, with Samoa making a number of linebreaks throughout the game, though as always South Africa's scrambling defense was superb. I'm sure Australia will have taken note of how Samoa found holes in the South African backline defense when Tusi Pisi doubled round - I expect to see Quade Cooper use this tactic a lot.

I thought B du Plessis was good for South Africa, and it is huge relief to the rest of the world that he will be sitting watching from the side-line while John Smit plods around for most of the game. Matfield was superb in the lineout, and Brussow and Burger worked well in tandem. No-one in the South African backline really stood out to me - apart from the first 10-15 mins they really didn't see a lot of ball. I did think Pat Lambie looked pretty good at the back though: solid under the high ball, reliable in defense, and he made a great break too.

For Samoa I thought the loose-trio all had strong games with the ball in hand, but they really do lack a true 'fetcher' to compete at the breakdown. Fotuali'i and Pisi played well, while Fuimaono-Sapolu was superb. He threatened to break the line whenever he got the ball, and his slick passing added another dimension to Samoa's attack. David Lemi was equally impressive, as he is just so elusive. The highlight of the game for me was when the 75kg David Lemi fended on Bismark du Plessis (at least I think it was Bismark).

If I were the coaching staff of the SA I would be p!ssed, that was the worst officiating I have ever seen Owens not to mention the touch judges, Samoa should have lost this game by at least 20 points.Do not feel to good Samoa the officials made the scoreline respectable. The dirty tactics employed by Samoa does not belong rugby, I just hope Owens far far far far away from the Eng/France game.

Well, bad officiating, dirty tactics, it doesn't matter, the Boks are in the quarters, I will say this though I have not seen a game as physical and bruising like this one was since the Lions toured SA in 2009. Samoa was SA's biggest physical threat, no other team will even comes. Well done Samoa the sooner the IRB can get you into a bigger test window the better.

I wonder if this will see Bismarck overtake Smit as first choice hooker?

I imagine not, but would be nice to see (unless England play SA....)

Lucky se moer.

When does that have to do with anything? Did I even mention myself?

I'm getting sick of the 12 year olds (or people acting like 12 year olds) joining the forum and going on the offensive over anything remotely critical. Lighten up. I was merely saying that after two close victories over Wales and Samoa and battering a tired Namibia team some of the South Africans were getting ahead of themselves.

Samoa was SA's biggest physical threat, no other team will even comes. Well done Samoa the sooner the IRB can get you into a bigger test window the better.

Well, nothing prevent SA to play Samoa in Auckland each year.

The Aussies. Then the AB's.

I must say the Red Card was justice after the numerous negative play by the Samoans throughout the game. Can't see why everyone is giving Brussouw such a hard time for trying to get Williams off him, throughout the year there has been stuff like that especially in the super 15 and never was it penalised... Williams should've let him go immediately and Brussouw was well within his rights to try to keep him off! as for Williams Retaliation, well it deserved a card. the colour didn't really matter as there was 10 minutes left anyways.

Agreed. There was no need for anything off the ball at the stage, the stakes were pretty high, the ball had gone and more importantly Paul Williams was the full back - he needed to get back immediately. Off all the Samoan players, I would've thought that he would've been more clearer of mind.

It's a matter of showing grace in defeat and humble in victory...

The Samoans really played amazingly. but their negative play off the ball cost them.

My thoughts was that it was the poor ball handling and decision making.

Also - Congrats to the Springboks, definitely the better team won on the night. We did give you guys quite a scare. I hope you progress as far as you can without beating the AB's. :cool:

But the boks deserve to be top of the pool and considering the strength and combinations and experience formed over the pool matches, would be favourites at least for a Semi's berth.

As for Manu - I have to give it for eliota, that was his best game in an Manu Jersey that i've ever seen. And mad respect goes to Mahonri & Maposua, how they can still keep going after all the games they've played I hope none of the top tier teams ever experience coz that is career shortening.

Well, nothing prevent SA to play Samoa in Auckland each year.

Nothing preventing France donning survival suits, crawling along the south Atlantic, Indian and Pacific oceans to play Samoa in Samoa.

Why don't they do that? Kriffing French, keeping all them fries to themselves! Hmph!

Latest posts