• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Springboks - Samoa (30-09-2011, 20:30)

Yeah, this. He was striking Williams far harder to make him let go than Williams hit him.

That said, you put your hand in someone's face on the rugby pitch and you take the risk of a card, touchjudge possibly should have given a yellow but don't think Samoa can complain too much about that sequence of events.

There is a huge difference between trying to ply the guys hands off from u and hitting a guy as he turns away. Broussouw tried to loosen himself from the player who illegally hanged on to him , at one stage he just gave up and appealed to the touch judge. This type of stupidness was going on from the start and I say stupidness cos the Samoans can play much much better if they apply themselves to just playing the game and not off the ball supid things.

Now , onto Broussouw , he has till now never milked a penalty or shied away from any type of contact , I would say he either was caught off guard as he turned his back or he was gatvol and this was already almost the 70th min or he milked a red card.

Given the history of the player and the vis evidence I would say its a combo of being gatvol and getting striked off guard . He really did not expect it and fell over but then he realized what it could mean and stayed down to milk it further. My opinion.

All in all , a good win for SA , on track so far. I wish Morne Steyn would stop kicking sooooo much and we need to relook our bench again , the 5-2 split almost cost us. The forwards played well but when is Fourie Du preez gonna get it right ? He is way too off the pace , once again we were reminded a little how valuable John Smit is as a leader , just play without him and u can see, Victor Matfield is not a captain , most of the group talking Schalk took over and on that topic , isn't Schalk Burger showing excellent improvement on his general play ? On current form he is SA most valued player.

Congrats South Africa, always nice to win the tight ones.
Hopefully you smash Aussie for us next week.
Congrats to Samoa for not giving up and fighting until the end.
gg

Well Done Bokke! A real bruising encounter.

Anyone know what the injury list looks like?
Habana?
Hougaard?
JP looked like he was hobbling towards the end as well.

I'm getting sick of the 12 year olds (or people acting like 12 year olds) joining the forum and going on the offensive over anything remotely critical. Lighten up. I was merely saying that after two close victories over Wales and Samoa and battering a tired Namibia team some of the South Africans were getting ahead of themselves.

My apologies. I was absolutely hyped up and stressed after the game and I guess acted like a 12 year old:) with my rants and raves.

I guess I just wanted my team to get a bit of respect for what they did!

Well Done Bokke! A real bruising encounter.

Anyone know what the injury list looks like?
Habana?
Hougaard?
JP looked like he was hobbling towards the end as well.

We won't know until tomorrow as it has been the policy of the boks to wait a day at least before making calls on injuries...

Hougaard I think will be fine, that knee just hit the trip switch and as a precaution took him off... JP i think will also be fine... dunno about Habana (maybe a blessing in disguise??)

Don't think Habana's is anything too bad - The commentators missed it somehow, even on replays, but he took a knee to the quad when jumping for the ball, so presume it's just a dead leg and he'll be fine soon
Presume Hougaard is concussion

We won't know until tomorrow as it has been the policy of the boks to wait a day at least before making calls on injuries...

Hougaard I think will be fine, that knee just hit the trip switch and as a precaution took him off... JP i think will also be fine... dunno about Habana (maybe a blessing in disguise??)

Don't think Habana's is anything too bad - The commentators missed it somehow, even on replays, but he took a knee to the quad when jumping for the ball, so presume it's just a dead leg and he'll be fine soon
Presume Hougaard is concussion

Thanks. I hope it's nothing serious. I think our 5-2 split on the bench was the wrong call today.
Also, I there will be a few off the ball sightings... (* prays SA is in the clear)

When does that have to do with anything? Did I even mention myself?

I'm getting sick of the 12 year olds (or people acting like 12 year olds) joining the forum and going on the offensive over anything remotely critical. Lighten up. I was merely saying that after two close victories over Wales and Samoa and battering a tired Namibia team some of the South Africans were getting ahead of themselves.

And don't you think they could if they want to my friend, look at the Irish after the AUS game!!

congrats South Africa and well done to my Manu Samoa, u guys did us Samoans very proud, chins up warriors :D

Thanks. I hope it's nothing serious. I think our 5-2 split on the bench was the wrong call today.
Also, I there will be a few off the ball sightings... (* prays SA is in the clear)

I do hope Hougie will be ready for the QF

congrats South Africa and well done to my Manu Samoa, u guys did us Samoans very proud, chins up warriors :D

Thank you pervisage, What a game by Samoa, you have every right to be proud of them.

My apologies. I was absolutely hyped up and stressed after the game and I guess acted like a 12 year old:) with my rants and raves.

I guess I just wanted my team to get a bit of respect for what they did!

Fair enough.

Congratulations South Africa.. It'll be an exciting playoffs for them.

Well done SA, showed again fantastic defence. Going to be bloody hard to beat with the set piece strength and solid D (although I'm not sure the centre rushing up is the best idea going forward against Aus and NZ).

Well done SA, showed again fantastic defence. Going to be bloody hard to beat with the set piece strength and solid D (although I'm not sure the centre rushing up is the best idea going forward against Aus and NZ).

Yea i think they could whip us with that

Phew....Well done to Samoa. I have gained so much respect for you. I think you guys are a team of the future and I hope you can continue the momentum. Would be great to have Samoa and Fiji in a 6 Nations tournament.

Congrats SA for coming through a bruising game and my hat is off to Samoa for making it as close as it was. You guys said Samoa is an 80 minute team and I guess some part of me didn't belief it. Well, I belief it now, very unlcuky not to make the play-offs (probably as I can't see Fiji helping you guys out).

Samoa a tier 1 team? Probably. Let's hope they start getting the recognition and chances they deserve sooner rather than later. Although I'd hate to face them regularly if this is the physical cost :p

For the Bokke I am glad they came through and hopefully this one cleared away sense of complacency that there might have crept in after the Fiji and Namibia games.

+ Scrambling defense once again did it for us but
- should've made the 1st time tackles count for more.
- Aus got shown by Samoa how to approach our defense
+ hopefully our decision makers realize this and sort it out
- The midfield were annonymous but I think this is mostly because
- FdP and M Steyn played horrible and their decision making was pathetic all night
- if they don't turn it around we are out in the next match
- didn't get helped by the forwards who couldn't gain the advantage line often enough
- and who got slowed and turned over too much at the break down (credit to Samoa)
- though to an extent our pack didn't play this match as a unit or with our usual intensity
+ we're still in it though and
+ the knock-out phase is our bag
+ Lambie looked like the business, can join the line more but I think that was part of his duties; to remain behind at all times
+ set pieces were good
+ so was the goal kicking
- though the in play kicking were aimless; would have been better served going for the corners and puting pressure on the opposing line-out

In terms of the officiating I guess there were some questionable calls and a lot of off the ball stuff but I guess that's the nature of the beast when these two teams face off.

What i would have liked to see though was Owens be more clear and consistent at the breakdown; both teams got slowed down too much and illegally so for the most part IMO but they could only play within the situations Owens created so I guess the players can't be blamed.

The other thing is a helluva lot of high tackles went unpinged. This could have gotten very dangerous and we can be glad it didn't. I counted 4 from Samoa and 3 from SA, particularly for SA JP Pietersen went high which i don't want to see and which could have and should have cost us more. Same the other way.

But I guess it was a very difficult game to officiate.

Hopefully both Habna and Hougie are fine though i don't know if I'd get up that quick after meeting up with those Samoan knees (powered by the biggest thighs in the business LOL).

Just managed to calm down after an enthralling 80 mins. We gave it our all but couldnt quite get there with SA taking penalty opportunities and defending as required. SA had the first half and the 2nd half we looked the more likely, a tough competitive match. I cant explain enough how proud I am of all our team and how they continued to attack till the end. SA have a huge rugby tradition and there set piece was fantastic. This was a very close match adn I always thought if we could be ahead or only a try down at half time we were still in it and this proved to be the case.

I thought Bismarck was amazing for SA and if he isnt better than Smit I will start following lawn bowls. All Sa forwards were great with Lambie & Steyn the the most threatening backs. Morne Steyn isnt my cup of tea and possibly Lambie might be a better option going forward.

I thought for us Lemi, Eliota were standouts while George Stowers is unbelievable considering his efforts against Fiji and Wales. Almost forgot I thought Tusi Pisi was brilliant and that move before the try was breathtaking.

I think this Cup was a lost opportunity for us. I always said we should have played a B-team against Namibia saving the 1st xv for Wales. I think this was crucial given the limited rest time available. Hopefully this wont be an issue again and all teams can be treated fairly whether they be All Blacks or Romania. many results may not change but certainly they may be more competitive.

For the Manu I hope the performance encourages the next generations of players to strive to go one better etc. With contracts in o/s clubs available the Manu can be a vehicle for players to make a good living but this comes with a responsibility to put back into the team we love.

For SA good luck for remainder of the tournament.

PS. On a lesser not I thought Owens crucially erred in first half when we were a few metres out in front of posts and when Lemi wasnt tackled in 2nd half.

I missed the Williams send off but belive both teams gave as good as they got off the ball. Some SA players have a history of it but its rugby not table tennis and I think it went both ways.

Latest posts