• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Springboks - Samoa (30-09-2011, 20:30)

About the red card:

I just watched the match again and noticed that it was not Wayne Barnes but Stuart Terheege who made the call

Agree that it would be cool to have Samoa in an expanded 5 nations, but guessing we need to have a year or two as the 4 nations first (not because it's needed but these things take time).
Unfortunately the irb will probably think it needs 5-10 years of 4 nations first. :(

What the hell is wrong with people - loads of Samoa fans on twitter and facebook are sending Nigel Owens loads of abuse and even death threats

Disgusting, absolutely disgusting.

Sadly these people are the ones who are a disgrace to their nation as well as rugby to itself. I am disgusted with what I have seen on Nigel's Facebook page and hopefully the right course of punishment will be taken. A threat is a threat and sadly in today's world it only takes one nut job / idiot to do the damage. It's a farce for people to call him the worst referee at the WC when simply Barnes, Rolland, Kaplan, Joubert, Walsh and Lawrence have all been worse.

I watched part of the game and whatever people say Nige let the game try and flow as much as possible, he communicated well and the decisions on the card front were correct.

I think the consistency in performance of late by the Manu warrants consideration for the Tri Nations. Forget this combined PI team crap.

IMO the red card was akin to why many people detest football/soccer and this was along those lines, pathetic really.

In all fairness IMO its a bit premature to get Samoa into a 5 Nations tourney all of a sudden... What about Fiji and Tonga? Should just one pacific island team get the benefit of getting into a top tournament even though they didn't reach the QF once again?? Where was this outcry in 2007 when Fiji actually did make the QF's? Rather get more tournaments where these teams play each other and then the winner gets to tour a stronger nation in a 2 test series or something

Sadly these people are the ones who are a disgrace to their nation as well as rugby to itself. I am disgusted with what I have seen on Nigel's Facebook page and hopefully the right course of punishment will be taken. A threat is a threat and sadly in today's world it only takes one nut job / idiot to do the damage. It's a farce for people to call him the worst referee at the WC when simply Barnes, Rolland, Kaplan, Joubert, Walsh and Lawrence have all been worse.

I watched part of the game and whatever people say Nige let the game try and flow as much as possible, he communicated well and the decisions on the card front were correct.

Agreed, I think he's a quality ref. He is also the only ref that makes me laugh from time to time with his accent and oneliners :p.

I dont think Owens cheated but got a few crucial things wrong. I do think the NH refs are very condescending to our boys and that I find annoying.

I dont think Owens cheated but got a few crucial things wrong. I do think the NH refs are very condescending to our boys and that I find annoying.

Strong word to use in a sentence even as you say he didn't. Can't think of any ref that would deliberately cheat a team out of victory. Nigel is one of the few top international referees that will talk to players to explain his decisions that he gives.

Also NH for me have officiated better than the SH ref's and I don't buy the argument that Samoa have constantly been on the wrong end of the referees either.

Last edited:
I've heard that about NH refs before, that they're condescending - I don't buy it, they just explain, in very simple terms, exactly what their decision is
I've seen some refs just send the players away and refuse to explain, however Owens (and Barnes) will say exactly what they didn't like

I used it cause others about the place suggested he did, I dont agree.

Against your mob we were on the wrong end of some crucial calls and also against SA.

Major thing I have against NH refs is how condescending they are. I remember early in first half when he called out both captains and was talking to them whilst only looking at Mahonri Schwlager. It something maybe we should be used to cause its been the case for many years The worst I saw was in the QF funnily enough against SA in 95' when 'one eyed' Jim Fleming was ref. He was the pits.

Of well games over and I will watch with interest to see how it pans out.

Barnes I actually find pretty good.

What did everybody think about SA going for drop goals and taking goal kicks vs kicking for touch and taking lineout/drive ? Were they trying to get ahead enough to break Manu spirit and kill off the game ?

In all fairness IMO its a bit premature to get Samoa into a 5 Nations tourney all of a sudden... What about Fiji and Tonga? Should just one pacific island team get the benefit of getting into a top tournament even though they didn't reach the QF once again?? Where was this outcry in 2007 when Fiji actually did make the QF's? Rather get more tournaments where these teams play each other and then the winner gets to tour a stronger nation in a 2 test series or something

I think you will find there have been outcries after all world cups when island teams have done well but fallen on deaf ears with powers that be. If there's not enough $$$ in it it doesnt happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree that it would be cool to have Samoa in an expanded 5 nations, but guessing we need to have a year or two as the 4 nations first (not because it's needed but these things take time).
Unfortunately the irb will probably think it needs 5-10 years of 4 nations first. :(

I don't think it has got anything to do with the IRB. If SANZAR wanted Samoa in the competition then they would add them. The fact is that there is no way Samoa would be able to compete week in and week out in the 4 Nations. For one does Samoa have a stadium with the facilities to host the other teams?

On the game itself, I thought Samoa played well. Their set piece was terrible and they always turned the ball over but their defence was strong and they took the game to South Africa. I reckon that the red card was bullshit. From what I saw it was nothing more than a little push. In my book,, that would not have even been a card. I thought Smit's card was just as much of a joke and i think that Owens just wanted to even the game up at 14 players each.

And the Man of the Match is... Nigel Owens!

RANT!

Okay.. Samoa had only 3 days rest before one of their crunch matches against Wales... Then only 4 days rest before their match with the Bokke.. GOOD ON YOU IRB! GREAT IDEA!

How can a team win, when the IRB have already screwed the draw to favor those teams with more money? Look at the dates for some of these matches.. IRB have totally destroyed any hope for the less rich teams to progress.

Also why fine someone 10'000 dollars for a measly MOUTH GUARD!? No one was paying attention to it until secretagentman IRB raised the issue (Thanks to Campbell raising money to pay for this by the way.. Great stuff). The IRB is coming off looking like a bunch of idiots.

1. NIGEL OWENS. Bokkes slowing the ball down, offside.. But dont you mind! Also, You cost us 3 points at the Maul.. Thompson was correct! YOU WERE WRONG!

2. NIGEL OWENS... David Lemi WAS NOT HELD. That single decision pretty much changed the game.

3. BRUSSOW.. THANKS FOR PUNCHING Paul williams with a closed fist TWICE on the back of the head.. You got the intended result.. Paul williams lost his cool and laid the smack down on your oscar winning performance.

4. JP PIETERSEN.. IS it legal for someone to slap the ball down, WHILE on the ground! Surprised no one noticed this. Isnt this illegal. He slapped the ball down while the Samoan player was diving for the tryline. Keep those eyes blind Refs. Keep em closed!

I have lost all respect for the IRB, Nigel Owens and the Springboks. Hope the Ozzies completely smash em. YOU HAVE NO RESPECT.

RANT!

Okay.. Samoa had only 3 days rest before one of their crunch matches against Wales... Then only 4 days rest before their match with the Bokke.. GOOD ON YOU IRB! GREAT IDEA!

How can a team win, when the IRB have already screwed the draw to favor those teams with more money? Look at the dates for some of these matches.. IRB have totally destroyed any hope for the less rich teams to progress.

Also why fine someone 10'000 dollars for a measly MOUTH GUARD!? No one was paying attention to it until secretagentman IRB raised the issue (Thanks to Campbell raising money to pay for this by the way.. Great stuff). The IRB is coming off looking like a bunch of idiots.

1. NIGEL OWENS. Bokkes slowing the ball down, offside.. But dont you mind! Also, You cost us 3 points at the Maul.. Thompson was correct! YOU WERE WRONG!

2. NIGEL OWENS... David Lemi WAS NOT HELD. That single decision pretty much changed the game.

3. BRUSSOW.. THANKS FOR PUNCHING Paul williams with a closed fist TWICE on the back of the head.. You got the intended result.. Paul williams lost his cool and laid the smack down on your oscar winning performance.

4. JP PIETERSEN.. IS it legal for someone to slap the ball down, WHILE on the ground! Surprised no one noticed this. Isnt this illegal. He slapped the ball down while the Samoan player was diving for the tryline. Keep those eyes blind Refs. Keep em closed!

I have lost all respect for the IRB, Nigel Owens and the Springboks. Hope the Ozzies completely smash em. YOU HAVE NO RESPECT.

All you do seemingly do is moan at the end of day and its getting rather tiredsome ... sorry but you simply gloss over the little cheap shots that Samoa were throwing at the breakdown.

All you do seemingly do is moan at the end of day and its getting rather tiredsome ... sorry but you simply gloss over the little cheap shots that Samoa were throwing at the breakdown.

Think the technical team is "selective *****ing"

What cheapshots? Did any samoan get 'knocked' uncounsciouss by a girl slap?

Think the technical team is "selective *****ing"

Well ...

Watching the highlights as we speak on ITV ... Samoa's could have been yellowed for a professional foul of stopping the rolling maul in the first half and then deciding to throw a punch at SA No. 8 when South Africa were moving the scrum forwards.

RANT!

Lets say the IRB and Nigel Owens are wrong(Nigel Owens wasen't that bad, he made a few mistakes as does every ref), why would you lose your respect for SA?!

Nigel Owens didn't call the Williams red the touchjudge did, and from his angle of view it looked like a punch (it wasen't it was a stupid push/punch which he should've never made.) It was a yellow card do and seeing it was the 70th min(I thought, might've been a bit less) red or yellow for that match it didn't matter anymore.

JP pietersen didn't slap the ball he pulled the guys hand, but as he was on the floor it was illegal. The ref missed it.

I'm disgusted with how people have reacted to the ref, especially the players not even shaking the guys hand, ITS NOT FOOTBALL YOU PRICKS!

I don't think it has got anything to do with the IRB. If SANZAR wanted Samoa in the competition then they would add them. The fact is that there is no way Samoa would be able to compete week in and week out in the 4 Nations. For one does Samoa have a stadium with the facilities to host the other teams?

Both good points. I am probably guilty of getting caught up in the emotion of Samoa's great year of rugby, without thinking through the details. My opinion is expanding the Tri Nations is a good thing, but it is asking a lot from anyone to compete against the top three teams. Samoa seems more ready to take on that challenge than other available teams.

Latest posts