• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Springboks - Samoa (30-09-2011, 20:30)

Well ...

Watching the highlights as we speak on ITV ... Samoa's could have been yellowed for a professional foul of stopping the rolling maul in the first half and then deciding to throw a punch at SA No. 8 when South Africa were moving the scrum forwards.

Did he actually throw a punch at the 8.. It was a push at Brussow.

Did he actually throw a punch at the 8.. It was a push at Brussow.

Sorry he rose his hand / fist / open palm to Pierre Spies face which is a strike to the face and was lucky to get away with it. With the Brussow incident the correct procedure was called. You simply cannot strike an opponent in the face ... and definitely not in front of an official.

Oh and regarding the JP incident, he did nothing wrong. He went for a potential rip not a slap of the ball and was entitled to play for the ball.

Sorry he rose his hand / fist / open palm to Pierre Spies face which is a strike to the face and was lucky to get away with it. With the Brussow incident the correct procedure was called. You simply cannot strike an opponent in the face ... and definitely not in front of an official.

Oh and regarding the JP incident, he did nothing wrong. He went for a potential rip not a slap of the ball and was entitled to play for the ball.

But it's okay for a player to strike a player Multiple times with a CLOSED fist to the back of the head? Then start punching at his hands and cry loudly to the ref?

Also JP out of the contest and on the ground. And it was a deliberate slapdown.

But it's okay for a player to strike a player Multiple times with a CLOSED fist to the back of the head? Then start punching at his hands and cry loudly to the ref?

Im tempted to call you on the error of your views but it'll be like teaching a budgie Japanese.

Striking the arm is different to striking the head. Seriously stop it.

JP was not out of the contest ... he was not part of the ruck :lol:

I really want the old PNC tournament to come back a six nations of Japan, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga, U.S.A. and Canada could produce some really exciting rugby, as well the smaller rugby venues in our countries would probably be sufficient for the sort of crowd sizes I would expect.

I really think the standard of play could be very high, look at how exciting Pool A was and the Pacific Island countries always face each other with passion. It would also raise Japan's standard before 2019. It dosen't even half to be an annual event perhaps have it done every four years but in between RWC's, eg. one in 2013.

What a great game, I'm really gutted for Samoa they were carrying the torch for the tier two nations this time around as our hope for a QF spot. Unfortunately they got stuck in a very tough pool, as well their schedule wasn't helpful. And the ability to close out the Wales and SA games came just short.

Both good points. I am probably guilty of getting caught up in the emotion of Samoa's great year of rugby, without thinking through the details. My opinion is expanding the Tri Nations is a good thing, but it is asking a lot from anyone to compete against the top three teams. Samoa seems more ready to take on that challenge than other available teams.
FWIW, I think Samoa has been incredible this year, were unlucky to lose to Wales and deserve more international games. It is also about time a tier one country actually played one of the islands in the islands.

And the Man of the Match is... Nigel Owens!

RANT!

Okay.. Samoa had only 3 days rest before one of their crunch matches against Wales... Then only 4 days rest before their match with the Bokke.. GOOD ON YOU IRB! GREAT IDEA!

How can a team win, when the IRB have already screwed the draw to favor those teams with more money? Look at the dates for some of these matches.. IRB have totally destroyed any hope for the less rich teams to progress.

Also why fine someone 10'000 dollars for a measly MOUTH GUARD!? No one was paying attention to it until secretagentman IRB raised the issue (Thanks to Campbell raising money to pay for this by the way.. Great stuff). The IRB is coming off looking like a bunch of idiots.

1. NIGEL OWENS. Bokkes slowing the ball down, offside.. But dont you mind! Also, You cost us 3 points at the Maul.. Thompson was correct! YOU WERE WRONG!

2. NIGEL OWENS... David Lemi WAS NOT HELD. That single decision pretty much changed the game.

3. BRUSSOW.. THANKS FOR PUNCHING Paul williams with a closed fist TWICE on the back of the head.. You got the intended result.. Paul williams lost his cool and laid the smack down on your oscar winning performance.

4. JP PIETERSEN.. IS it legal for someone to slap the ball down, WHILE on the ground! Surprised no one noticed this. Isnt this illegal. He slapped the ball down while the Samoan player was diving for the tryline. Keep those eyes blind Refs. Keep em closed!

I have lost all respect for the IRB, Nigel Owens and the Springboks. Hope the Ozzies completely smash em. YOU HAVE NO RESPECT.

That's no excuse. Every team has had ample time to bring up this fact with the IRB. Samoa (as did all of the smaller sides) came into the tounament knowing this was going to happen and so they would have undoubtably prepared for it.

I agree about the mouthguard though - ridiculous.

Last edited:
That's no excuse. Every team has had ample time to bring up the fact with the IRB. Samoa (as did all of the smaller sides) also came into the tounament knowing this was going to happen so they would have undoubtably prepared for it.

They're also chuffing professionals

They're also chuffing professionals

I think it's a pretty good excuse, and the way it's being done now is unfair and stupid. It was pointed out before the tournament but like the IRB was gonna listen...

Even proffesionals don't rest that fast.

Was a awesome game to watch, probably alot closer than most people would have thought. A few incidents in the game which were a bit unfortunate like Paul Williams striking Henrich Brussouw. He was already yellow carded in Samoa's vs Namibia game so for him to get sent off again came as no suprise. Brussouw may have striked him while he was on the ground but why even give him a reason to, grabbing onto his shorts so he couldn't move that's just silly. If Samoa could have cut out these silly little things and maybe some calls go their way it could have been a different outcome.

Other than that it was a awesome game to watch and I thoroughly enjoyed it :)

Im tempted to call you on the error of your views but it'll be like teaching a budgie Japanese.

Your actually the one with the errors...

Brussouw rained down fist and forearm strikes full force on Paul Williams head as Williams was looking down - thats why he didn't let go he wanted a go at whoever was above him punching him in the head.

So you saying an opened hand push to the head is worse than several full force punches to the head of Paul Williams?

serious question.

as a sidenote: When explaining what had happened to Owens the Touch Judge used a closed fist when demonstrating the strike - when it was clearly just an opened handed push....

Owens did not cover himself in glory but had a fair match.
Touch Judge if any to blame for Red card for me a yellow for both ( could it have been managed before hand pen SA for Williams holding player ?? or then pen Samoa for Brussouw hit williams on arm??
Tough call on Tackle was he held /released broke tackle split second judgedment call.
Plain missed Peterson play when on floor and as the laws state you must be on your feet to play so def pen maybe pen try.
As NH/SH ref debate I think it is what you are used to seeing day in/out when I watch S15 match's can't believe the number of players off feet at breakdown + sealing off however you SH guys don't like the formal approach of NH refs.
Maybe the addage for players / coaches should play the laws + play the ref as well

Duncanb

I'm usually a Nigel Owens fan, but I have to say he had a shocker.

He always has an issue with interfaring in the field of play, and I was amazed that Samoa made it 60m up the field in the 40 minute mark, for Owens to get in the way of the ball and blow the wistle when there is no time for a scrum. It was a shocker. Some of the penalties, like the one against David Lemi, were dreadful. No problems with either of the cards, but the general officiating was very poor.

On another note, it was a fantastic game of rugby, for all the officiating problems.

The SA crew in this thread are way one sided on the red card against samoa. If referees continue to reff like that half of the south african pack will be red carded against NZ in the semi.... (SA forwards constantly bait other teams just like that with little flicks and palms to the face) Paul williams in no way or form striked at broussow. It was a face palm off and a red card for that is outrageous. A penalty at worst.

Also i look forward to seeing SA penalised off the field against Australia the way they enter rucks and flop all over the show is ridiculous. Anybody that watches the game again take note of that.

Nigel owens was TERRIBLE i hope he doesnt get another game after that performance having a touch judge intervene two three times for totally obvious and incorrect calls was a disgrace.

Well, this game was highly frustrating. The amount of bad calls made by Nigel Owens just makes you want to turn up at IRB headquarters with a suicide bomber.

I don't care what anybody says, numerous pounds in the back of the head with a closed fist is alot worse than a palm to the face..
I don't care who defends what, yes Williams shouldn't have been holding Brussouw, but to be punched in the back of the head is a bit much.

Jeez, I'd hate to see Cory Jane get red carded for the next person he fends in the face.

In all fairness IMO its a bit premature to get Samoa into a 5 Nations tourney all of a sudden... What about Fiji and Tonga? Should just one pacific island team get the benefit of getting into a top tournament even though they didn't reach the QF once again?? Where was this outcry in 2007 when Fiji actually did make the QF's? Rather get more tournaments where these teams play each other and then the winner gets to tour a stronger nation in a 2 test series or something

I think the islands need to get club teams in either the ITM Cup or the Super 15, the problem with just playing tests is the island teams never get to field their best players because all their best players are playing for clubs in Europe, but if the island teams each got a team to be in either the ITM Cup or S15, it could develop all of the local island rugby players to where they wouldn't even need these players from Europe. I think the only way for the island teams to be up with all the major teams in the world is for their local players to be up with all the best club players in the world, that way they won't have to rely on bringing together players from random clubs all over the world once every 4 years.

and if they can't do that they could at least have island teams like Fiji Warriors, Samoa A, Tonga A play regular games against S15 teams

Last edited:
Striking the arm is different to striking the head. Seriously stop it.

JP was not out of the contest ... he was not part of the ruck :lol:

Please Cymro, did you even watch the incident from the beginning. Brussow hit Paul Williams in the back of the head with a CLOSED fist.. Then he started punching at his arms. You stop it.

Oh really. Then why was he IN the ruck?

I think the islands need to get club teams in either the ITM Cup or the Super 15, the problem with just playing tests is the island teams never get to field their best players because all their best players are playing for clubs in Europe, but if the island teams each got a team to be in either the ITM Cup or S15, it could develop all of the local island rugby players to where they wouldn't even need these players from Europe. I think the only way for the island teams to be up with all the major teams in the world is for their local players to be up with all the best club players in the world, that way they won't have to rely on bringing together players from random clubs all over the world once every 4 years.

and if they can't do that they could at least have island teams like Fiji Warriors, Samoa A, Tonga A play regular games against S15 teams

That wouldn't really work. When the Super 15 season ends the ITM comes straight into play. The only way to do it would be to have them playing against Super 15 development sides.

Latest posts