• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Springboks - Samoa (30-09-2011, 20:30)

Oh wow! One Saffa joining his cause! Probably Icemn!

If Owens was at fault then Paddy O'Brien would've done something about it... Owens is blowing a QF so I guess he didn't do much wrong...

The Samoans on this thread are really one-eyed in judgement! Owens did talk to the Samoan Captain in the first half, and warned them... Only at the 70th minute something was done about it... That to me is being very lenient!

Yes, and at the time, there wasn't much going on at all. Just an intense game for two very physical sides.

Yes, he talked to the Samoan captain early on as it was SAMOANS who were at that time playing off the ball. Maybe those two refs had it right and Samoa were playing the man and not the ball? Just consider it..

Samoa can be a great team just learn to play as fair as you play hard IE the difference between playing the ball and not the man. Something a few guys in the SA squad should also take to heart TBF.

SA is without peer in terms of suspensions and widely regarded as one of the worlds dirtiest teams. You just cant deal with the fact you were given as good as you give. Be interesting to see how the Wallabies approach SA this weekend.

heineken - Funny you say that i just watched an interview of Sapolu today and guess what there was a south african representative there supporting his case. Is that respect for the game???? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion so it doesn't mean me and every other person supporting sapolu has no respect for Rugby. Speaking out and trying to rectify the issues with the IRB is a positive thing. This forum is open to everyone no matter what their take is on rugby.

Fair point. Let's put it this way.

Would Michael Jones say that about another person/referee or official?
Would Peter Fatialofa?
Would Sonny Bill?
Would Tana Umaga?

There is a way to speak out about these issues and saying demeaning things about another is not the fa'asamoa way - or at the very least way i was raised up. If you're going to say something bad about someone - at the very least say it to their face.
Where is the respect?

At which stage did he say, "Nigel Owens failed Samoa on these occasions" and then list all the issues and times during the game? Never, not a single time, not during a single word of his interview, not at any stage of interview after his appeal appearance.
I find his comments (not the underlining reasons behind them) embarrassing. And not representative of anyone intellectual and articulate.

Sapolu is one of the smartest operator around, making full use of the power of media...if he's a child, then you're probably a baby with ignorant bliss.....

The issues he made were not new....but to entice and drew in the attention of the media for the issues to be hotly debated worldwide shows genius in him....Michael Jones raised some of these issues, but being a respectable and polite person he is, those issues were never in the limelight....

Yes, and at the time, there wasn't much going on at all. Just an intense game for two very physical sides.

SA is without peer in terms of suspensions and widely regarded as one of the worlds dirtiest teams. You just cant deal with the fact you were given as good as you give. Be interesting to see how the Wallabies approach SA this weekend.

There is a big difference between playing hard and playing off the ball; slaps, punches, pulling hair etc; but from comments read here I guess people will see what they will. Obviously we weren't watching the same game and I would (and have recently and in the past; Burger, Botha etc) spoken out against off the ball play from SA.

In saying that I don't care that these off the ball things went largely unpunished and I expect and appreciate our guys taking it on the chin and moving on but I take exception to posters here saying Samoa were hard done by getting a card and going off at a referee and touch judge who the Samoan team put in an impossible position (at some time they had to draw the line).

Sapolu is one of the smartest operator around, making full use of the power of media...if he's a child, then you're probably a baby with ignorant bliss.....

The issues he made were not new....but to entice and drew in the attention of the media for the issues to be hotly debated worldwide shows genius in him....Michael Jones raised some of these issues, but being a respectable and polite person he is, those issues were never in the limelight....

No ..he is an idiot. plain and simple...death threats , insults and overdramatization of the whole scenario serves to bring the limelight yes but it is not a good light...bringing a bad name to him as a person , the samoan RFU and the Samoans as a people the vast majority of whom have no time for his tripe.

Yeah sexually harassing the ref before the game was real smart.

]
genius? he,s lucky if he doesn't get a massive ban. He is nothing more than an idiot who hides behind twitter to make a spiteful remark

]
genius? he,s lucky if he doesn't get a massive ban. He is nothing more than an idiot who hides behind twitter to make a spiteful remark

Dunno about hiding behind twitter, the exact opposite.

I cant believe that I learnt today the Chairman of the Welsh Rugby Union selected Owens to ref this match. I dont think there was cheating but surely such decisions shouldnt be anything to do with Bosses of country unions. Not the smartest of scenarios irrespective of any impropriety.

Let me guess, Sapolu tweeted that the Welsh boss selected Owens? :/

Therefore it must be true.

haha! you are right LH. Checked Sapolu's facebook:

So there is a IRB committee who select the referees to ref RWC games. Now, the Chairman of this committee is David Pickering. He is Welsh. Thats not the worse bit. He is also the Chairman of the Welsh Rugby Union. So the leader of the Welsh Rugby team also picked the referee for our game. He picked a Welshman. Who was waiting on the result of the game? Wales. This just gets better and better. Goodnight :)

Someone tell this genius that the appointments were made months ago by a whole team of selectors.

Using his logic... anytime a team loses to Wales, or another team in the same group as Wales. They can blame one member of the IRB refereeing panel who happens to be associated with Wales. Simply because he is on a panel of referee selectors which picked that particular appointment months in advance.

Once again Sapolu mis-informs his trusting fans. He is making the IRB look good if the only criticism he has is made up. He is doing everyone who wants changes at the IRB a dis-service.

Last edited:
haha! you are right LH. Checked Sapolu's facebook:

Someone tell this genius that the appointments were made months ago by a whole team of selectors.

Using his logic... anytime a team loses to Wales, or another team in the same group as Wales. They can blame one member of the IRB refereeing panel who happens to be associated with Wales. Simply because he is on a panel of referee selectors which picked that particular appointment months in advance.

Once again Sapolu mis-informs his trusting fans. He is making the IRB look good if the only criticism he has is made up. He is doing everyone who wants changes at the IRB a dis-service.

LOL! by this Logic it's mind-boggling that Wales lose ANY matches!

Anyone still trying to defend this mental retard is even more pathetic than him!

Actually no I heard it from Sydney Morning Herald journi Spiro Zavos who appeared on Closeup on TVNZ.

Does anybody recall if Will Carling received any penalty after calling the IRB "a bunch of old farts" ? Cheers just cant remember.

LOL! by this Logic it's mind-boggling that Wales lose ANY matches!

Anyone still trying to defend this mental retard is even more pathetic than him!

You calling me pathetic ? Let me make this abundantly clear, I dont condone his personal references to officials despite agreeing with much of his argument. I think much of the relevance of fair grievances has been lost in his method.

Night all

Peace

Last edited:
Actually no I heard it from Sydney Morning Herald journi Spiro Zavos who appeared on Closeup on TVNZ.

Does anybody recall if Will Carling received any penalty after calling the IRB "a bunch of old farts" ? Cheers just cant remember.

The comments by Will Carling were never directed at the IRB, they were aimed at the English RFU. From what I can recall he was sacked as Captain for a period and the RFU hated him.

Last edited:
I cant believe that I learnt today the Chairman of the Welsh Rugby Union selected Owens to ref this match.

Geez I didnt know that, that does hold some significance. The IRB also having issues with the tri-nations teams, some sort of ripping them off.

Is there any issues with the NH unions (of the same magnitude as the SH) unions over the IRB?.... (no this is not a NH VS SH thing, Im more onto it then that, a genuine question of interest)

Latest posts