• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] England vs Argentina (09/09/2023)

Think I'm right in saying we'll be based in Le Touquet throughout.

The first 2 games are in Marseille and Nice. I guess it's only a couple of hours flight, but still the equivalent of London to Warsaw. Last 2 group games are Lille which is much closer before back to Marseille for a QF.

Fair play to whoever came up with the scheduling - France play their group games at 4 different cities….unlike us in 15 where 3 games at HQ did us a fat load of good.

I expect a bit of both, proly a bit more along the former. We need to be meticulous and very risk-averse for the first 25 min. **** possession, territory is king. Avoid silly penalties and no missed tackles. Let desperation kick in and then push back.
Well, that should be the plan. Actual events may vary.
Silly penalties, kicking away possession and missed tackles are England's secret gameplan!

England should win, but I'm more interested in how they respond after the recent tests. They're either going to come out guns blazing or very nervous I imagine.
I'd say the opposite. This England team is on it's knees right now, Argentina really should win.

We basically need to hope Argentina are over-confident and underestimate us whilst also raising our game to a level we haven't seen for at least 2yrs. Unlikely.

Borthwick anticipating full availability of players to choose from?

He also is talking a good talk about players feeling written off, a renewed determination, that the focus is and always has been Saturday, and that the players "like the challenge".

Let's see if he still parrots that out if they get absolutely smashed on Saturday.

I get the impression we will ply to Argentinas strengths tbh and they pull away from us second half.

Obviously want to be wrong but all I hear is total stubbornness and delusion. I think only a sobering defeat will change the course of the plan/approach.

You put that "very" away right now.
I will look back on this soon enough. Kindly remember your immunity from my prosecution ends on Friday. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger against those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is Cruz when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Last edited:
I'd say the opposite. This England team is on it's knees right now, Argentina really should win.
Ennit, I would be genuinely amazed if we won
It would be an absolutely unbelievable turnaround

I will look back on this soon enough. Kindly remember your immunity from my prosecution ends on Friday. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger against those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is Cruz when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
I've got like 4-5 more weeks of being able to act all superior and I'm cashing in hard.

Ennit, I would be genuinely amazed if we won
It would be an absolutely unbelievable turnaround
It would … but that's tournament rugby I suppose. If England can somehow conjure up a performance out of nowhere, the mood would completely change.

I don't think it will happen though.

Tight for the first 60. Under the radar, with no tactics given away over the summer. England to pull away in the final twenty with Borthball's clarity kicking in. England by 10.

I've got like 4-5 more weeks of being able to act all superior and I'm cashing in hard.
I'm starting to get legitimately concerned about what will happen when Ireland loses to South Africa and Scotland in the group stage.

Im still annoyed we dont have slade(not as a chiefs fan) if nothing else he was a defensive leader and second playmaker to get the ball wide. Vs a team like Argentina thats what we need and not a manu. Id be expecting a Lawrence Slade. Im hoping for a Lawrence Marchant. Manu gets caught out going for big hits.

Im still annoyed we dont have slade(not as a chiefs fan) if nothing else he was a defensive leader and second playmaker to get the ball wide. Vs a team like Argentina thats what we need and not a manu. Id be expecting a Lawrence Slade. Im hoping for a Lawrence Marchant. Manu gets caught out going for big hits.
I thought Manu was OK vs Ireland and Fiji, tbf - no one came out shining, but he was one of the better backs
I've always been a huge Lawrence fan but his stock dropped pretty significantly for me during the warmups
Defence, positioning and workrate was in the toilet

I wouldn't be against a Manu/Lawrence midfield but I'm hoping for Manu/Marchant

Bold of you to brand him Smellis when the stench of your props somehow traverses the internet and out of my TV screen
Nah, he's Irish - Scotland have the props that look like they've never heard of soap or water (looking at you Schoeman)

Latest posts