• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] England vs Argentina (09/09/2023)

Suppose another thing that needs pointed out and was a major factor in winning the game. The length on England's contestable kicking was invariably exceptional.

How many times was the Argentinian defender trying to catch under pressure? Almost every time.

Erm not really. Checks map, yep all different countries. It makes sense if you understand when the draw was made and the rankings at the time.
We all know when the draw was made, that's precisely what doesn't make any sense. Scotland is probably better at the moment than Australia, Wales, England and Argentina, and chances are they will not make the quarter final when those 4 team probably will.

Ok. Enjoy your kickathon. I'm outa here.
I want to try here …

I don't enjoy a 'kickathon'. However, from a tactical POV, England did exactly the right thing. Trying to play running rugby a man down is pure suicide. Let me explain as simply as possible: 1) running rugby is about creating overlaps which is hard to the point of being almost impossible with a numerical disadvantage 2) running rugby is fricking tiring. When you lose a man as early as England did, you can't do it without being completely knackered by the 50min - which then means you lose badly in the last 30.

Does that help?

We all know when the draw was made, that's precisely what doesn't make any sense. Scotland is probably better at the moment than Australia, Wales, England and Argentina, and chances are they will not make the quarter final when those 4 team probably will.
You are underselling Fiji ranked 7th , Wales are 10th

We can discuss all sorts of stuff and debate Argentina's performance, but let's be clear- for England to put 27 points on Argentina in 27-10 win with 14 men for what, 78 minutes? That's a staggering result and performance from the hole they were in from 6N and RWC Warm Ups. If we kick them when they're down, let's also acknowledge when they step up.

They looked fitter, sharper, faster and defended as well as I've seen for a couple of years. Itoje, Tuilagi, George to name but a few who showed some teeth tonight which had been missing for a while. Fords leadership and game management was absolutely superb. Farrell should only now he bench 10 and 12 cover.

Crucially, when they kicked, they kicked well. I thought touch kicking in particular was superb. Good distance, good accuracy. Kick chase largely good, just the odd one too deep (into the 22).

Can't quite believe what I watched to be honest.

Key thing now- same as France yesterday- simmer down, appreciate the challenge Japan bring, and get a performance out there that builds on today.

It's a step forward, a line in the sand, but it requires backing up.

Great win and really enjoyable actually. I thought England were very impressive. The drop goals won the game I think.

Couple of questions:
Will Curry be banned for England's next games?
When England butchered the overlap... I missed what we were penalised for, does someone remember?

Congrats England. Did exactly the right thing. Result first and foremost. Attacking performance can be scrutinised another day when it's 15 v 15

Yes but SA, Ireland, All Blacks, Wales, Argentina, England, Australia probably will and that's a pretty standard quater finals line up for most world cups.

Congrats, well played.

Just checked the stats. Couldnt find knock ons but Eng had 11, ELEVEN Scrums (as a proxy for our kos).
We had 2 scrums. Lost one of those.
We had 15 LO's (our throw). Lost 4 of those.

We can argue about tactics all you want, but no tactic will survive those numbers. Tactics matter once you've understood dropping the ball is a bad thing and that if the opposition consistently arrives earlier at the break down they will make you pay for it.

This was so, SOOO bad i am actually inclined to believe this is a one-off. I mean, it has to be.

Just checked the result and laughed out loud, we actually won, what the heck.

Will watch the game to grow at some point .

Latest posts