• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] England vs Argentina (09/09/2023)

I don't think anyone here could possibly deny that's true given all the evidence but I still think it's a pretty odd thing to focus on given how England were placed coming into the game and where they found themselves 2 minutes in. The overwhelming evidence coming into this world cup is that England don't have a realistic hope in hell to lift the trophy - that remains unchanged. But I definitely don't see how anyone could claim to have seen even more evidence of this based on the game. Or even frankly to be looking for evidence on the basis of today.

On the multiples of 3, not really sure the point being made either. There have been years especially early under EJ where England were scoring more tries than other teams, performing highly on line breaks and attacking stats etc. The England with their multiples of 3 thing is always pointed out when its the case but rarely noted when it's not.

Trying to find criticism where it's just not there. They're in a competition, comparing them to other teams in the competition is hardly ridiculous.

As for the multiples of three that was more a criticism of Argentina's discipline. England live for keeping the scoreboard ticking over, they were more or less encouraged to do this by Argentina. I'm hardly saying they've never scored a try before.

Yeah we won, but we showed 0 improvement in attack. I'm happy they won, but it doesn't change the fact that they don't look like scoring tries.

Edit: Others have said it better. England did what they needed to and fair play. Under the circumstances it's a great win. However, when they did have try scoring opportunities they still looked awful. The 4 on 2 example where May ended off the field showed how bad our backs are.
I agree with you re. the one real example of an attempted attack. However, I think it's more accurate to say we didn't try to attack and fail. We just didn't attack.

I don't doubt the likelihood that our attack is still going to be poor, but yesterday's game gives no evidence either way. We shouldn't have been chasing tries and tactically it was right not to do that. If we had, I'm pretty certain we'd have lost.

It's more than consistency though its down right abuse of the rules where 2 identical tackles are policed in two totally different ways.

If that isn't a form of racism then what is it?
The tackles were clearly not identical.

Racism? Go and give your head a wobble...

By the way, laws, not rules.

I'm not convinced that the outcome should be the deciding factor in the sanction as it is completely arbitrary and down to luck more than anything else. I think the recklessness of the action is a much fairer way of deciding. For me the Curry incident didn't result from any recklessness on Curry's part, and up until the head contact he has done nothing wrong. Anyone who suggests that he should have made a series of adjustments in the split second he had available to him in that situation is being totally unrealistic. I thought that if either of the cards was going to be upgraded it would be Carreras' because he was completely reckless regardless of where the initial contact with Ford was. Unfortunately there are always going to be bad physical contacts in rugby, and it is absolutely necessary that these be reduced in numbers, but I believe that eliminating recklessness through sanctions is a better way of going about it.

Honestly you read some of the press over the last couple of days and it's ludicrous. Everyone, including players, getting way too carried away by having worked hard and executed the most basic of game plans quite well. Ford being hailed as a "mastermind" by Manu and a "genius" by Genge, the latter also saying he believes we can win the whole thing.

The overreaction reminds me of the 19 semi. It was a good performance, certainly in the context of what had gone before, but no more than that.

Let's see what we're like against a decent team - which we may not find out until the semis.

Awful game. However, it was great to see Ford using the drop goal to good effect. Pity it only has real value in World Cups. Argentina were really disappointing.

I'm not convinced that the outcome should be the deciding factor in the sanction as it is completely arbitrary and down to luck more than anything else. I think the recklessness of the action is a much fairer way of deciding. For me the Curry incident didn't result from any recklessness on Curry's part, and up until the head contact he has done nothing wrong. Anyone who suggests that he should have made a series of adjustments in the split second he had available to him in that situation is being totally unrealistic. I thought that if either of the cards was going to be upgraded it would be Carreras' because he was completely reckless regardless of where the initial contact with Ford was. Unfortunately there are always going to be bad physical contacts in rugby, and it is absolutely necessary that these be reduced in numbers, but I believe that eliminating recklessness through sanctions is a better way of going about it.
I totally agree with this. Even with criminal offences the intention is one of the most important factors in whether you are found guilty. You dont get found guilty for things that were an accident.

I totally agree with this. Even with criminal offences the intention is one of the most important factors in whether you are found guilty. You dont get found guilty for things that were an accident.
That's not very accurate. Intent (mens rea) generally has a very low burden of proof once the act (actus rea) is proven.

The way I see it: The offence is contact with the head, the intention is making a tackle and the duty of care tied to this is doing it in a safe manner. Mitigation is considered after.

Curry was upright in that tackle, the duty of care is failed at this point imo. Once you hit a guy in the head with poor body position your only hope is a low force "passive" hit to mitigate.

I'm very ok with the laws like this. There'll be unlucky scenarios like Curry's, because there's not been a prominent incident like this before but players are wise to it now.

Whats the difference between what Stander did here and what Carreras did to Ford?
<iframe ***le="vimeo-player" src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Latest posts