• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] England vs Chile (23/09/2023)

Regardless of opposition today it was refreshing to see England play some good attacking rugby and outside the opening 20 the ball generally sticking, too long have we all suffered crap results with equally as poor basic skills. We're all generally pretty negative about England in recent times I'll give them praise where it's due, you can only play what's in front of you and to this point they have done what's required of them this WC, we have seen a bit of everything now across all the games, the defence is much improved as has the intensity, the improvements are yet to be tested against top opposition but let's give them the benefit of the doubt for the minute, if confidence was an issue and factor at the start they are heading in the right direction and should put them in a better place for the knockout stages.

Had a quick flick back through on fast forward.

Is that the first time in an international tier 1 lock has played the full 80 and had no line out ball thrown to them?

Our first 9 went to Ribbans, including all 6 in the first half and the 10th to Chessum but none to Martin and it wasn't like we started with a lock in the back row either (I know Martin later switched to flank). And Chile was about as weak an international line out as you'll see - if you're not going to be trusted against them, then who?

On their ball I saw Martin unsuccessfully compete for 1 (maybe others, I was mainly watching our ball) otherwise his feet were firmly planted to the floor either lifting or just standing around to little evident purpose.

Sorry, but your locks have to be good line out options. Martin's a solid unit but he's not a Skelton or Willemse. Either he's not trusted or someone made a Horlicks of the calling. Said all along he's a 6……

Last edited:
Had a quick flick back through on fast forward.

Is that the first time in an international tier 1 lock has played the full 80 and had no line out ball thrown to them?

Our first 9 went to Ribbans, including all 6 in the first half and the 10th to Chessum but none to Martin and it wasn't like we started with a lock in the back row either (I know Martin later switched to flank). And Chile was about as weak an international line out as you'll see - if you're not going to be trusted against them, then who?

On their ball I saw Martin unsuccessfully compete for 1 (maybe others, I was mainly watching our ball) otherwise his feet were firmly planted to the floor either lifting or just standing around to little evident purpose.

Sorry, but your locks have to be good line out options. Martin's a solid unit but he's not a Skelton or Willemse. Either he's not trusted or someone made a Horlicks of the calling. Said all along he's a 6……
But can we have a 6 that isn't a lineout option? Got to drop him out of the entire squad I guess.

it wasn't like we started with a lock in the back row either
Tbf Ludlam is a first choice lineout target for club and (often) country - he's not just a backrow option
With Ribbans (presumably) calling the lineout I wouldn't be surprised if he just called to him and Ludlam as that's the moves he runs at club level and feels most confident in

Don't know about Martin's lineout prowess though, tbh - I think @LeinsterMan (NotTigsMan) said he's been working on it over the last season and been noticeably improving

Regardless of opposition today it was refreshing to see England play some good attacking rugby and outside the opening 20 the ball generally sticking, too long have we all suffered crap results with equally as poor basic skills. We're all generally pretty negative about England in recent times I'll give them praise where it's due, you can only play what's in front of you and to this point they have done what's required of them this WC, we have seen a bit of everything now across all the games, the defence is much improved as has the intensity, the improvements are yet to be tested against top opposition but let's give them the benefit of the doubt for the minute, if confidence was an issue and factor at the start they are heading in the right direction and should put them in a better place for the knockout stages.
We played some lovely rugby and I hope we persist because we will improve immensely for it.

Also - defence is terrific

I enjoyed that game, Chile gave it a shout, the dentists, doctors, ice cream salesmen lol.

My favourite part was the studio after full time, Woodward proudly proclaiming England were back, England had turned up at the world cup, and then hearing them discuss RWC final chances hahahah

I agree totally with Woodward, if Ireland play like England did they will win, Smith must play FB because hes so good ball in hand, and Farrell is now a certain to start the big games...

It was better than watching Eddie Murphy Raw for the first time hahahahahahah

Sorry can anyone summarise the second half for me. I know we scored plenty, but is there anything to be optimistic over with attack?

Sorry can anyone summarise the second half for me. I know we scored plenty, but is there anything to be optimistic over with attack?
Tbh my GF turned to me 5 minutes in to the 2nd half and said 'are all 3 English 10's on the park at the same time, 50 points up against Chile? Have they learned nothing from Dupont'

Seems to sum up the idiocy for me quite well

2 games in a row kept to zero, attack stuttered at first but honestly was terrible(not world beating by any standard).

I thought Dan had a good game but after my last post watching a few pf his lineouts they were abit low and if they had been challanged it may not have gone well. But given his experience his openfield/pass for Arundell' try was great. Hope he starts again next week.

Tbh my GF turned to me 5 minutes in to the 2nd half and said 'are all 3 English 10's on the park at the same time, 50 points up against Chile? Have they learned nothing from Dupont'

Seems to sum up the idiocy for me quite well

?

I mean a player can be injured at any point. Even in training. And no one was injured playing for England which just shows the Dupont injury was incredibly misfortunate.

Sounds overly pessimistic but not really - we scored the kind of tries any tier 1 side would expect to score against the lowest ranked side in the tournament
There were some nice individual bits of skill, sure, but nothing to particularly read into
We all know the boys can play, we see them do it every week for their clubs - was nice to see more attacking intent in an England shirt but...yeah, let's see that intent week on week before we start saying we're back

?

I mean a player can be injured at any point. Even in training. And no one was injured playing for England which just shows the Dupont injury was incredibly misfortunate.
Also Dupont needed game time having not played the previous week. So its really easy to look at things post game.

I
?

agree ofcourse it was, but in a game when you are 50 - 0 up, why take the 1% risk of having ALL 3 of your fly halves on the pitch at the same time, 2 of which out of position. There is just no reward to that and all risk!

Also not one of England's number 10s was injured. Surely refutes her point.

Yeah, players get injured. It happens in sport.

Latest posts