• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] South Africa vs Ireland (23/09/2023)

Absorbing contest. Delighted to get the win. Ireland should beat Scotland and we'll see how we go against NZ. Don't rate their front 5 but it would be classic NZ to blow us out of water with an all court game. Hope we produce a performance at least.

The Boks will beat France. If they quit the chest thumping, bomb squad shite and play to their talented backs they'll probably win the tournament too.

Against their regular players? Most of them. Fortunately for both of us, we'll have those stats by the end of the game. Well, not those exact stats but close enough.

Never said it was. My point is that their plan, being simpler, gives them an edge. Whether that edge is not enough/enough/more than enough to win, i don't. I have a view, but it's an educated guess more than anything.
You also make it sound as if RSA doesn't really know how to support their tacklers. I believe i've stated quite a few times already that their plan (as in team, not individual) is easier to execute.

Thank you. I'm having trouble grasping the reactions to what i believe to be a very trivial comment. That 70% implies, NECESSARILY, that for every game NZ wins, IRE would have to beat them more than twice.

?

Why only one Irish anthem?
At home in Dublin, they play the Republic of Ireland anthem, because they are in the ROI, followed by Ireland's Call, which is inclusive of the Ulster (Nothern Ireland) contingent. Away from home, they only play Ireland's Call as they are not on ROI soil. And before anyone starts, I know the difference between Ulster and Northern Ireland...

But don't get me started on why, when the Irish played Italy in a friendly in Belfast a while back, they only played Ireland's Call and didn't precede it with GSTQ as it was on UK soil... the Ulster lads stand respectfully every time for the ROI anthem in Dublin, but the IRFU couldn't bring themselves to ask the Southern lads to stand for GSTQ in Belfast. But that's Irish politics for you, best not to go down that rabbit hole on here.

At home in Dublin, they play the Republic of Ireland anthem, because they are in the ROI, followed by Ireland's Call, which is inclusive of the Ulster (Nothern Ireland) contingent. Away from home, they only play Ireland's Call as they are not on ROI soil. And before anyone starts, I know the difference between Ulster and Northern Ireland...

But don't get me started on why, when the Irish played Italy in a friendly in Belfast a while back, they only played Ireland's Call and didn't precede it with GSTQ as it was on UK soil... the Ulster lads stand respectfully every time for the ROI anthem in Dublin, but the IRFU couldn't bring themselves to ask the Southern lads to stand for GSTQ in Belfast. But that's Irish politics for you, best not to go down that rabbit hole on here.
Really they should be called the "Irish Lions" seeing as they are more than one country.

That maul call at the end is really bad but in general I think refs blow mail turnovers way too quick. Let them duke it out a little. Also **** mauls they are so hard to referee once you get to a level where the teams are competent.
Is it really bad? He's on the left hand side of the maul and there is no ball forthcoming. He clearly make a decision its been too long but goes checks the right hand side just in case its pipped up there. It hasn't and he blows.

What happens is the ball does pop up on the left hand side when it's outside his field of view. But in clear view of the camera.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one. He's tried to give SA the chance and most other refs wouldn't of checked the other side before blowing.

If they meet again south africa will take the cup i think . But in a rainy day Scotland can be a rough team to beat for a tired irish team. So they gotta be careful and avoid celebrating too soon

Really they should be called the "Irish Lions" seeing as they are more than one country.
Last time I checked, Ireland was an island consisting of 32 counties. The Republic of Ireland comprises 26, Northern Ireland, 6. The team represents both, and is rightly called Ireland. Any more points to make?

For your information, there are many other sports where Ireland field a united whole-island team, because the relevant sporting associations didn't split after partition. Maybe that's too complicated for you, but it suits me fine. It's better than Welshmen playing for the England cricket team because they don't have a team of their own...

Yes I think we'd most likely lose to the boks, but I'd rather have had them than the irish. We simply don't have the defence to stop irelands attack.

If they meet again south africa will take the cup i think . But in a rainy day Scotland can be a rough team to beat for a tired irish team. So they gotta be careful and avoid celebrating too soon
Two weeks before that game. But they isn't any celebration. Satisfaction, yes.

I didn't enjoy that at all. I will watch it again tomorrow, to see if watching when the outcome is known makes a difference. Incredibly tight game, plenty for both teams to work on. I think the final, if we both get there, could be a very different game with SA kicking points & Ire's lineout working.

Last time I checked, Ireland was an island consisting of 32 counties. The Republic of Ireland comprises 26, Northern Ireland, 6. The team represents both, and is rightly called Ireland. Any more points to make?

For your information, there are many other sports where Ireland field a united whole-island team, because the relevant sporting associations didn't split after partition. Maybe that's too complicated for you, but it suits me fine. It's better than Welshmen playing for the England cricket team because they don't have a team of their own...
Hey, I'm all for a united Ireland so no complaints from me it's just that bureaucracy is a funny thing sometimes. But you're right, it is too complicated for me to be honest.

Latest posts