• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] South Africa vs Ireland (23/09/2023)

Hey, I'm all for a united Ireland so no complaints from me it's just that bureaucracy is a funny thing sometimes. But you're right, it is too complicated for me to be honest.
Just to be clear, I didn't say I was for a united Ireland politically! But in sports, for me the border doesn't exist. Complicated, yes.

Marx loss was really felt last night. That guy was a massive massive loss for us. We just aren't as good without him.

Congratulations to Ireland. I said it in the sctorland thread that we needed to be more accurate but if anything we were less but credit where it's due. Still confident though for the final if both teams can keep it up that long.

I agreed that it's right to not rush Pollard in ahead of Libbok and despite the loss I still do but in saying that Manie had his chances this match and the issue with the goal kicking is too much. Can't gamble on 100 percent one eek, 20 the next.

Other than that there were just too many opportunities gone begging due to in too large a part to being rushed and forced. That said those aren't things that can't come right in a week's time. It's all headology. I think if we just keep calm we'd be golden. I do think that more assured kicking at goal would also go a ways to calming the collective nerves.

Just glad it looks like no citings or more injuries though I expect there'll be a lot of ice applied to sore bodies on both teams.

Last edited:
That loss from South Africa means the big 4 Southern hemisphere teams have all lost already.
4/4 SH T1 sides have lost, also 6/6 SH T2 and 4/4 NH T2 - but only 1/6 for NH T1.

Quite a stark difference.
Scotland, we're all looking at you

P.S. Agreed, I always like it when they get through a whole game with no YCs

Last edited:
Congratulations to Ireland. I said it in the sctorland thread that we needed to be more accurate but if anything we were less but credit where it's due. Still confident though for the final if both teams can keep it up that long.

I agreed that it's right to not rush Pollard in ahead of Libbok and despite the loss I still do but in saying that Manie had his chances this match and the issue with the goal kicking is too much. Can't gamble on 100 percent one eek, 20 the next.

Other than that there were just too many opportunities gone begging due to in too large a part to being rushed and forced. That said those aren't things that can't come right in a week's time. It's all headology. I think if we just keep calm we'd be golden. I do think that more assured kicking at goal would also go a ways to calming the collective nerves.

Just glad it looks like no citings or more injuries though I expect there'll be a lot of ice applied to sore bodies on both teams.
Theres more assured goal kicking, and then there are 54m pot shots.

One of which freakishly led to the only field possession SA got first half and scored their try.

Goal kicking wasnt the problem, playing inferior to the opposition was.

The conversion was a poor miss, but the 2 penalties looked like desperate attempts to find some points from somewhere, and at best are 50/50 chances.

I'd argue, in that first half Ireland turned down 3 easy shots at goal, and lost 5 lineouts of 6 in attacking positions. That was far more important than own half not first choice kicker tries at penalties.

Ireland won as saffers had no kicker.
So fair play deserved win,
If SA had a kicker would have been a deserved win for them.
For both teams double edged sword with likely QF opponents due to world rugby's sill seeding rules.
SA wouldn't definitely have won if they had a kicker because if Ireland had been behind they may have gone to the corner with their last two penalties instead of going for goal.

SA wouldn't definitely have won if they had a kicker because if Ireland had been behind they may have gone to the corner with their last two penalties instead of going for goal.
If SA had had a kicker, the whole game would have panned out differently, especially as it most likely means they wouldn't have had Libbok. They'd have been making ground with the ball in the air, rather than in the hands, and Ireland would have had more possession off the back of that.

However, if we're simplifying things down, if SA had had a kicker, they wouldn't have scored their try, so would have been 2 points worse off. Equally, they may have succeeded with an extra penalty, so maybe 1 point to the better.

Last edited:
Is the Irish winger (11) (not Hansen) an ex Gaelic footy player? He kicks like an AFL player does. Nice boot on him.

Latest posts