• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Samoa is the most improved International team!

How much would u pay in Samoa for an authentic Samoan rugby shirt?

$300 tala (Samoan currency)

I think South Africa will win by a good 10-20 points.

Samoa has the ability to deal with the lower tier 1 teams (Ireland, Wales, Italy etc.) but when it comes to the big three (South Africa, New Zealand and England) I think they are still a long way off, to be perfectly honest. The major difference between the other groups of teams is consistency.

Though I'd love nothing more than to see Samoa win.

Yes consistency is a factor...This Samoan team have played 10-15 caps together and seem to be a lot more consistent than teams of the past...hence why they are winning..
I think we have the right people in the right positions. Pisi, Su'a (although fatuali'i would have been ideal) Leiua out wide...and the back three will be a good match up about SA 6,7,8...

I hope you are right but ATM we aren't all that settled and consistant. The guys with the caps in our squad aren't the better ones (apart from Habs and Bismarck on the bench) and the rest are still new to test rugby while we have a lot of injury concerns ATM to boot to both experienced campaigners and form newbies; JPP, Goosen, Hougaard, Vermaak, Vermeulen, Bekker, Botha, F Steyn, Taute with Alberts still a question mark and Bissie only last week coming back. Even though we are at home I doubt Samoa will have a better chance at toppling us in the forseeable future than now.

Scotland didnt do us any favours by taking SA close last week. I expect them (SA) to come out firing...they would've had a good look at themselves during the week and judging by what I have read in the media, you guys have not been shy in reminding them how bad they were last week. Public opinion does count in a big rugby country like SA. Just look at how the AB's responded in the second test against France...especially Dagg

Last edited by a moderator:
What is 300 tala in pounds (asin the English currency)

That's expensive ;O I payed 59.99 for that shirt off Lovell rugby although it depends who u but it off

Jeesh, that is expensive; you can buy an official Bok jersey for 37 pounds and that isn't even a bargain. The Rand is VERY weak ATM though.

I am just estimating...Plus us Samoans dont care too much about things like that, heck kids play rugby with coconuts on the beach :D

I am just estimating...Plus us Samoans dont care too much about things like that, heck kids play rugby with coconuts on the beach :D

Ah I see start young ;) that explains why Samoans have good hands although cant imagine the local wild life will be happy with kids stealing there food

I say every rugby fan should travel to Samoa and see the conditions they play in. Most fields would not meet safety standards here in NZ. It amazing though and most play with no boots...its just truly passion for the game that drives the interest in Samoa! Plus there are plenty of coconut trees in Samoa :D

Well it's abit like the professional footballers off today if you look at messi and christiano Ronaldo they grew up in slums and now there earning like 250k a week. Rugby is just the same within smaller less developed countries like Fiji and Samoa like u said people have a real passion for the game rather than in countries like the UK where we take rugby/football pitches for granted

Well it's abit like the professional footballers off today if you look at messi and christiano Ronaldo they grew up in slums and now there earning like 250k a week. Rugby is just the same within smaller less developed countries like Fiji and Samoa like u said people have a real passion for the game rather than in countries like the UK where we take rugby/football pitches for granted

On the money there champ!

Alot of premiship 7s teams go over to countries like that and they give them there shirts socks shorts and boots

I agree totally with your point about Euro clubs helping out. I think the fact that more and more Samoans playing in Europe eliminates the AB's factor. In fact in French clubs, players of Island decent are considered local players and not international. In NZ it is different. Island players sign a contract that states they have to make themselves available for the AB's...its a carrot they dangle to entice players to sign up...knowing all well that they have the cultural obligation of providing for their families...There are more and more players going to Europe and I support that because they don't get caught up in the AB web.

except that they don't get to Europe without getting the benefit of the NZ system, like you say a lot of them come to high school here. How many of them go straight from Samoa to a European club vs how many came to school and played club/provincial rugby in NZ then went to Europe? Your ignorance is staggering.

Its ironic that northern hemisphere teams play the PI sides more often than tri nation sides.

except that they don't get to Europe without getting the benefit of the NZ system, like you say a lot of them come to high school here. How many of them go straight from Samoa to a European club vs how many came to school and played club/provincial rugby in NZ then went to Europe? Your ignorance is staggering.

Why is it you Kiwi's get worked up over the poaching accusations? Guilty conscience?

Irony is that kiwis get patriotic when it is other nations taking their talent...e.g Australian league signing up the 'kiwi' brothers to switch alliance...but when its NZ being accused, heck everyone cries murder. Have a look at the Black Caps for instance, a lot of which are South Africans and Australians. The same way the AB's over the past 20 years have had countless amount of Pacific Islanders playing for them.

I am merely showing the same passion for my country, and unfortunately Samoa is a very small country...but by heck we produce some good players, no matter where they learnt their craft. Even USA is getting in on the act. Did you know that a child with Samoa blood has 40% higher chance of making the NFL than any other nationality in America. They call American Samoa, football island.

So what if they came up through the NZ system...so have the Islanders who are coming through in the Aussie system...and in the English and French systems. What is blatantly obvious is that amount of talented Pacific Island rugby players there are out there, and for me...THAT MAKES ME DAMN PROUD TO BE P.I

Peace :D

Last edited:
To put some context to this "poaching" myth. Just look at these numbers.

There are 15 New Zealand born players in the Samoan 23 to face South Africa this weekend. And 10 in the starting 15.

There are 13 Samoan born players who have played for the All Blacks in their entire history. Most of whom like Jerry Collins and Mils Muliaina spent nearly their whole life in New Zealand and were raised and educated there. Add to that, 4 of those 13 also played for Samoa as well as the All Blacks in the old double nation rule like Inga Tuigamala for example. There isn't a single player born in the Islands in the current New Zealand squad.

As I have said many times here, Samoa gains a great deal from their proximity to New Zealand. Most notably from the fact, that they get a lot of New Zealanders who went through the New Zealand system (probably the best in the world) and to play for them such as Kahn Fotuali'i and recently Jack Lam who was superb in the last couple of matches. These players actually provide the bulk of their team, and the fact that they have had more success getting these players like mentioned above available for them, is the main reason as to why they have improved since 2010.

Great post Manu. Totally agree. I know that Samoans like role models and its great to see that guys like Lima and Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu can be looked up to by the next generation and want to emulate their heroes and wanting to wear the Samoan shirt. Just like Michael Jones who was the reason for thousands of Samoan kids wanted to wear the AB jersey.

Really?

To put some context to this "poaching" myth. Just look at these numbers.

There are 15 New Zealand born players in the Samoan 23 to face South Africa this weekend. And 10 in the starting 15.

There are 13 Samoan born players who have played for the All Blacks in their entire history. Most of whom like Jerry Collins and Mils Muliaina spent nearly their whole life in New Zealand and were raised and educated there. Add to that, 4 of those 13 also played for Samoa as well as the All Blacks in the old double nation rule like Inga Tuigamala for example. There isn't a single player born in the Islands in the current New Zealand squad.

As I have said many times here, Samoa gains a great deal from their proximity to New Zealand. Most notably from the fact, that they get a lot of New Zealanders who went through the New Zealand system (probably the best in the world) and to play for them such as Kahn Fotuali'i and recently Jack Lam who was superb in the last couple of matches. These players actually provide the bulk of their team, and the fact that they have had more success getting these players like mentioned above available for them, is the main reason as to why they have improved since 2010.

Really?

You are wrong... There are 23 Samoans in the 23 to face South Africa...and 15 in the starting line up

Just because they were not born in Samoa doesn't mean they are not Samoan...13 Samoan born players who have played for the AB's most of which were in the last 20 years. Thats a big number and thats not even counting the New Zealand born Samoans

Le Manu is arguing that a person's heritage (cultural and genetic) is/can be just as important and defining as your nationality. I tend to agree. Both sides of the coin are valid opinions and it depends on the individual. Arguing is pointless.

You are wrong... There are 23 Samoans in the 23 to face South Africa...and 15 in the starting line up

Just because they were not born in Samoa doesn't mean they are not Samoan...13 Samoan born players who have played for the AB's most of which were in the last 20 years. Thats a big number and thats not even counting the New Zealand born Samoans

So Paul Williams and Kane Thompson who aren't even Samoan race, both were New Zealand born and raised are Samoan.

Yet still feel free to take shots at New Zealand for picking players who are of of Samoan race who spent their entire lives in NZ. Very hypocritical.

By your logic, USA could just play a Native American XV, Scotland would have to play a McSomething XV

Ugo Monye and Topsy Ojo would have to play for Nigeria. Paul Sackey would have to play for Ghana. Yannick Nyanga for Democratic Republic of Congo. To define people as race and ignore immigration and the modern world is the kind of thing fascists do.

Last edited:
So Paul Williams and Kane Thompson who aren't even Samoan race, both were New Zealand born and raised are Samoan.

Yet still feel free to take shots at New Zealand for picking players who are of of Samoan race who spent their entire lives in NZ. Very hypocritical.

By your logic, USA could just play a Native American XV, Scotland would have to play a McSomething XV

You mean Paul Williams son of the very first Samoan to play for the All Blacks (Bryan Williams) and Kane Thompson whos Mum is Samoan...

Tell me how is Manu Tuilagi English and dont you have a Tobgan No8....he's the brownest Welshman iI've ever seen

Last edited:
Le Manu is arguing that a person's heritage (cultural and genetic) is/can be just as important and defining as your nationality. I tend to agree. Both sides of the coin are valid opinions and it depends on the individual. Arguing is pointless.
Thank you mate! you are right. Both sides have valid points but please don't say that Samoan team is made up of 13 NZders (psychic duck)

Latest posts