• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scarlets v Munster

Well classic Munster, looked like they'd lost it and somehow managed to pull off a win. Hurley looking very good on the Wing.

Can't believe the Scarlets lost that. They were so much better than Munster in every aspect of the game for 70min. It all came down to Priestland not being good enough with the boot. With Stephen Jones back, they should kick on really challenge this year. Very impressed with the scarlets hooker, Ken Owens, and their second rows. In the backline, Jonathan Davies is becoming a great player, easily outplaying Mafi, and the newcomer Maul had a great game (bar that poor tackle at the end). Daniel Evans had another strong showing.

They will get better than this, but lost opportunity today against a dirty Munster.

Mr. McGahan please take note, the first time our forward put some carries together at pace, created the match winning try.

Our pack is a great weapon to have, use it!

Saw our style of play compared to Ireland's under EOS, and it's far from a ridiculous comparison.

Lads great to see T. O'Leary back first of all.

But glad we got the win as Scarlets did seem better team but for all those that call us Dirty Munster it more like typical Munster because we play to the Ref and his views on calls. But tought Quinny was very good tonight and Hurley is really fighting for a spot great to see.
But quicker we have ROG and Warick back the better as Manning is not a #10 at ML level. Also tought Toby played well at 9 and showed that he has something to offer the squad.

Despite being a Barry Murphy fan I now realise why he isn't a regular starter at 13. He can't be trusted in defense. 2 very bad defensive slips last night resulted in the concession of 2 tries. Mafi didn't have a good game either. Maybe 12. De Villiers 13. Earls could end up as the starting centre partnership before the year is out.

Manning kicked well out of hand but that was about it. Himself and Priestland balanced in missed kicks (maybe Priestland was worse) so it didn't cost us on the day. Need Warwick and/or O'Gara back soon.

Delighted for Hurley, the second try was a very good effort. Very strong runner and a good handoff, moving him to the wing was a great idea. Hope he keeps his place. I have him ahead of Dougie at the moment...but we'll see if he can keep it up. Felix Jones had a sloppy game but we can forgive him.

Back row was poor compared to last week. O'Donnell looked lively when he came on but Wallly coming back will hopefully smooth out the bumps.

I'm not worried about hookers this year... and Buckley can't scrummage.

Scarlets can feel hard done by. But can't really blame the ref. He missed the Quinlan thing before the try but besides that he reffed the match well.

They may have played better for the greater part of the match but you have to be able to finish a game and hopefully they won't mess up again after yesterday.
And bugger off with calling it Munster 'dirty'. There was no sly punches or stamping or nasty late tackles or thuggish intimidation. Getting awaty with being offside now and then isn't anymore dirty than being a couple of feet ahead of the kicker at kickoff. Everyone does it. At worst there was a couple of bad tackles but there was nothing malicious.

Not a gerat match anyway so onwards to next week!

Well, I didn't really mean dirty Munster in a malicious way. The yellow card for taking Daniel Evans out in the air was more clumsy than anything. I thought Munster were lucky not to have more players in the bin, not sure how many times they penalised throughout that match, the count was something like 7 after 7 minutes! Cynical might have been a better word to use.

Considering the last two years the Scarlets have had, last nights performance was hugely encouraging. If they can play like that in every game, they'll do very well this season. Wonder if there'll be a place for Mathew Rees when he returns, Ken Owens put in a huge performance, if he carries on, he should be rewarded. The Scarlets have only lost one lineout in three games, something like 39 out of 40. Great stat, considering how rubbish Welsh teams lineouts generally are. Any chance of Lou Reed or Domonic Day getting into the Welsh squad? Imo, they've been the stand-out second rows in Wales at the beginning of this season.

Also can't see a place for Morgan Stoddard in this team when he returns from injury. In a way that's a pity, as his running game is just sooo good. However, Daniel Evan's all round game is much better, haven't seen any problems in defence, he's got a massive left peg, and he's fairly safe under the high ball. Wouldn't mind seeing him counter a little more, rather than send back the up n' under, but I'm sure that will come with confidence.

This Scarlets team is young and inexperienced, but they are playing with confidence and flair. They will get better and better imo, great to see. Wales looks to have suddenly got many more options available with both the Scarlets and Dragons starting well. I'm sure the Blues and Ospreys will get better......

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Sep 20 2009, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Despite being a Barry Murphy fan I now realise why he isn't a regular starter at 13. He can't be trusted in defense. 2 very bad defensive slips last night resulted in the concession of 2 tries. Mafi didn't have a good game either. Maybe 12. De Villiers 13. Earls could end up as the starting centre partnership before the year is out.

Manning kicked well out of hand but that was about it. Himself and Priestland balanced in missed kicks (maybe Priestland was worse) so it didn't cost us on the day. Need Warwick and/or O'Gara back soon.

Delighted for Hurley, the second try was a very good effort. Very strong runner and a good handoff, moving him to the wing was a great idea. Hope he keeps his place. I have him ahead of Dougie at the moment...but we'll see if he can keep it up. Felix Jones had a sloppy game but we can forgive him.

Back row was poor compared to last week. O'Donnell looked lively when he came on but Wallly coming back will hopefully smooth out the bumps.

I'm not worried about hookers this year... and Buckley can't scrummage.

Scarlets can feel hard done by. But can't really blame the ref. He missed the Quinlan thing before the try but besides that he reffed the match well.

They may have played better for the greater part of the match but you have to be able to finish a game and hopefully they won't mess up again after yesterday.
And bugger off with calling it Munster 'dirty'. There was no sly punches or stamping or nasty late tackles or thuggish intimidation. Getting awaty with being offside now and then isn't anymore dirty than being a couple of feet ahead of the kicker at kickoff. Everyone does it. At worst there was a couple of bad tackles but there was nothing malicious.

Not a gerat match anyway so onwards to next week![/b]

Agreed no malicious play from either team.

Also on current form Hurley is ahead of Dougie and will be even more interesting when Earls, Dowling, Warick & De Villiers come into back-line contention.

But dont think Stringer will be certainty to get back in as back-up scrum-half for Ireland. All depends on how he reacts to pressure from Toby in Munster camp and with Reddan playing at 9 with Leinster he will be on show more often which can only help him.
Also great to see Quinny back to what he does best just disrupting everything.
But glad we have 3 serious options at hooker and it also allows us to use Jerry sparingly but still worried about options at prop as we haven't seem to got up and running yet

Referee was superb. Munster weren't dirty; just stupid. Rolland was very efficient.

Very gutting result, even though the performance was one of the best I've seen from the Scarlets in God knows how long. Jon Davies was sublime. Mark Jones played one of his better games. I'm loving this physical play that has been lacking over the past two seasons. No poncing around, just f***ing hammering the opposition at the breakdown. Prickland can **** off. When Jones comes back we'll be far better. Munster's second try was a farce, though good on them for taking their chances when on offer; something Scarlets couldn't manage. Hopefully they'll become a force to be reckoned with again; no more 30-point demolishings...

If their pack continue producing performances like that, they'll be there or thereabouts in every game they play. To dominate Munster for virtually the entire match is no mean feat, even if Munster were lacking a few key players. The Scarlet's forwards look like a different unit altogether this season, and with that, the backs that the Scarlet's have always had can improve and start taking more of their chances.

There's still a bit to work on. A few too many unforced errors stopped some good momentum, and probably cost them another couple of tires. Some of ball carriers were getting themselves a little isolated at times, i.e. when Dafydd Jones took the ball up in midfield from a lineout. Will Stephen Jones be back for the next match against the Blues? At least the Scarlet's have the best 10 in the NH to come back and replace the struggling Priestland, more than the Blues can say.

We'll see in a few more weeks, but Leinster should be getting a little worried about their HC group. Scarlet's could be a big surprise and progress to the quarters in their place.

Latest posts