• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland v Wales

So why aren't either of the Evans bros starting? I don't see many attacking threats in that Scotland side. An off-form Henson could manage those centres, and Lamont and Murray out are two enormous blows.
Wales by 15+.

Wales team to face Scotland:

Lee Byrne (Ospreys); Leigh Halfpenny (Blues), Jamie Roberts (Blues), Gavin Henson (Ospreys), Shane Williams (Ospreys); Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Ospreys); Gethin Jenkins (Blues), Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Ian Gough (Ospreys), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Ryan Jones (Ospreys, capt), Martyn Williams (Blues), Andy Powell (Blues).

Replacements: Tom Shanklin (Blues), James Hook (Ospreys), Dwayne Peel (Sale), John Yapp (Blues), Huw Bennett (Ospreys), Luke Charteris (Dragons), Dafydd Jones (Scarlets).

Not sure if this is official but they're talking about it as if it is on walesonline.

Alright it's on the BBC now as well.

Yep, it's up on BBC Sport now. Looking good, and I'm pretty confident now considering both teams. :)

Well the Scotland side basically picked itself yet retard hadden still cant do his job. Evans, our only player with real speed and class isnt even in the squad,Strokosch is brilliant,much better than Hogg, again doesnt even make the bench and dont even get me started on Southwell, a useless twat at best..

A 20 point loss will hopefully get this clown out of his job at last.

What happens if Wales get any injury or two upfront, particularily the tight five? None of the forwards on the bench are going to put the fear of god into anybody.

Why am I not surprised?
I'd honestly like, nay, prefer to see Bishop have a go, anyway. The international exposure would do him good, and it's not like the Scottish centres are going to strike fear into the Welsh side...

They spoke to Howley at lunch time. He said he'd pulled up with a slight strain but will definitely play on Sunday.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Feb 4 2009, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What happens if Wales get any injury or two upfront, particularily the tight five? None of the forwards on the bench are going to put the fear of god into anybody.[/b]

Beg to differ with Yapp and Bennett on the bench! Yapp is a thung 20 stone of thugness and he WILL strike the fear of god! Bennett should be starting instead of Reeswho is crap!

I like the look of the Scotland team, I think we could squeeze a narrow victory/loss out of Wales.

I was still shocked that neither Evans made the team, at least Max is on the bench, freeing up Ben Cairns to move to the wing of fullback if we need his magic elsewhere. Mossy will probably have a moan at not being in the XV in the pre-match VT again, like he did last year.

Also what is even more bewildering is Taylor not being in the second row instead of White. Taylor has played their all season for Stade then Strokosch could have came in at blindside.

There seems to ba a big emphasis here on which players are in the squads, important to a point.

BUT

I wonder how the back rooms line up, granted I am biased towards Wales but I do think that Gatland has hit a groove, his perspective on strategy seems to have a distinct edge over his opposite numbers, particularly reading his opponents strategy well and developing an attack on it. In this area I think his main competitor in this area is Graham Henry, who currently has the edge.

I think come Sunday the Scots strategy will be to attack Wales through depriving the backs of the ball, e.g. slowing release of the ball, and naturally attacking the lineout, I think Gatland will have been pushing his team to:

a) Strengthen the line out,
B) increasing the capacity of his players to offload in the tackle,
c) releasing the ball quickly
d) Developing the effeciveness of the forwards to drive the opposition off the ball, (hopefully recognising that there are ways to do this which don't rely purely on weight and strength)
e) Increased switchback passing

I also think that we will probably see a return to better implementation of the tactic used in the last six nations of committing the minimum number of players to the ruck when not in possession and relying on the greater numbers across the field to drive the Scots back accross the gain line whilst in posession

The Welsh side is a strong one, but the Scots are no slouches either, although I think Wales have the edge here, I think it will be the srategic overview that will swing it Wales Way.

But it's scotland at home in the cold and possibly snow, in the six nations, it is possible that anything could happen.

Latest posts