• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Silver jerseys for 1/4 final

Why does it matter? Are you going to claim that it belittles the passion of NZ or something like that?

Why does it matter? Are you going to claim that it belittles the passion of NZ or something like that?
[/b]

Not at all. I know it's no big deal to be honest, but it seems stupid to have a coin toss over it. You'd think it would go to the top qualifier. Especially considering it was France's ploy to have this happen. Why else would they change their traditional, 100 year old strip?

Yes, it does matter. And it ****** me off. :toss: [/b]

Agreed. Hell yes this does matter!

Across the world, traditional jersey colours are under threat. They are a species in serious decline and in danger of extinction. Be it the horrible England jersey with that abominable splash of paint, the Springbok jersey in danger of dying out thanks to political buggery or the Welsh jersey under threat from Welsh fans who, quite frankly, have absolutely no fashion sense whatsoever.

I mean with that horrible Welsh away kit for 2003...seriously...Welsh guys out there...the words "green", "white" and "fashionable" do NOT go together. It was quite frankly the most horrible jersey design ever. In the whole wide world. End of discussion, story and debate.

I think we need to revolt, bring back the old designs. Bring back white for England, force the All Blacks by international agreement to wear black and ONLY black for every match and to force Wales to play in scarlet red on pain of death and muzzle the entire Welsh fanbase on all matters regarding Jersey design.

<div class='quotemain'> Yes, it does matter. And it ****** me off. :toss: [/b]

Agreed. Hell yes this does matter!

Across the world, traditional jersey colours are under threat. They are a species in serious decline and in danger of extinction. Be it the horrible England jersey with that abominable splash of paint, the Springbok jersey in danger of dying out thanks to political buggery or the Welsh jersey under threat from Welsh fans who, quite frankly, have absolutely no fashion sense whatsoever.

I mean with that horrible Welsh away kit for 2003...seriously...Welsh guys out there...the words "green", "white" and "fashionable" do NOT go together. It was quite frankly the most horrible jersey design ever. In the whole wide world. End of discussion, story and debate.

I think we need to revolt, bring back the old designs. Bring back white for England, force the All Blacks by international agreement to wear black and ONLY black for every match and to force Wales to play in scarlet red on pain of death and muzzle the entire Welsh fanbase on all matters regarding Jersey design. [/b][/quote]

:bravo: I totally agree with you. Some changes are good... but this ones are not good. Its dificult to see any team wearing classic jerseys... with their classic colours.

To be honest Wales original kit was black and away green!

Anyway teams should go back to old school kits of yester years when there was only one kit!

<div class='quotemain'> Yes, it does matter. And it ****** me off. :toss: [/b]
I mean with that horrible Welsh away kit for 2003...seriously...Welsh guys out there...the words "green", "white" and "fashionable" do NOT go together. It was quite frankly the most horrible jersey design ever. In the whole wide world. End of discussion, story and debate. [/b][/quote]

There are Jersey's worse than that:

Canada '95 World Cup

red_fallingleafs.jpg

I have an uglier jersey that predates that but I can't find a picture on the internet and I'm currently without a digital camera.

ru_au_99pc1.jpg

If those aren't the ugliest jersey's I don't know what are.

All teams should just simply keep their traditional jersey colours - keep the pride feeling they've had over the many years of rugby - and also just changing the material to be 'up-dated' with new quality jerseys in the near future.

...Welsh fans who, quite frankly, have absolutely no fashion sense whatsoever.
[/b]

Hey Saxon, you are treading on thin ice, my friend!
You've never dared venturing across the severn, for if you were you would realise that you have as much fashion sense as the Germans...who i maintain, have the worst dress sense in the world. And the French. Just look at the way some frenchies dress, with their bright orange Nike's, trousers that barely get passed their ankles and exactly the same hairdo for every guy.

Tip: There's such a thing as styling product!

Oh, Pres. You've got some standards to live up to. Come World Cup final you'd best prove yourself as a fine dresser, you hear?

the all blacks will just have to knock the french out this weekend and the los pumas will have to deal with scotland so no more clashes can happen...

to be fair to the scots theve stuck to the same home jearsey for as long as i can remember... weve always alternated with the scots...

why the hell do we have a grey shirt anyway?? we should be getting back to the white one... that was NZ's traditional away jearsey.

who remembers scotlands bright mandarin orange away jearsey... that was pretty hideous....

Hey Saxon, you are treading on thin ice, my friend!
You've never dared venturing across the severn, for if you were you would realise that you have as much fashion sense as the Germans...who i maintain, have the worst dress sense in the world. And the French. Just look at the way some frenchies dress, with their bright orange Nike's, trousers that barely get passed their ankles and exactly the same hairdo for every guy.

Tip: There's such a thing as styling product!

Oh, Pres. You've got some standards to live up to. Come World Cup final you'd best prove yourself as a fine dresser, you hear?
[/b]

Seriously, you guys were hand wringing over a scarlet red jersey back in June odd. Its your nations damn national colours for Rugby! Why would you even think of changing it for something that looked like a dog had been sick over?!

I think it does matter cause everyone is use to seeing the black jersey and its a bit unfamiliar seeing a team called the All Blacks in grey.

After watching the All Blacks vs Scotland I thought it was utter stupidity how the colors clashed I couldn't figure out who was who.

All Blacks should still play in black even if France have darkened their jersey's i guess they'll try anything to get the All Blacks off their game. Wales tried it getting the All Blacks to do the Haka when they usually wouldn't and now France want us to play in a different strip.

Hope the All Blacks give them a thrashing and hand their asses to them.

GO THE ALL BLACKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While worrying about things like jersey colours are less important than the game itself, manipulating tradition (for what appears to be a marketing attempt at increasing revenues) is something that should not be allowed to go down, especially in test rugby of all sports.

Test match rugby, and the traditions that are associated with it, are held in the highest regard by followers of this game. Test rugby is the most passionately supported form of rugby around the world, more so than clubs. I doubt you'd see many happy faces if Man United decided to don Blue jerseys and Chelsea opted for a 'seasonally fashionable' Red number.

Changing the colour a nation is represented by, whilst being a clever marketing ploy, is negating the many years it has taken for teams to build a legacy for that colour. Essentially you're not just messing with a jersey, but messing with the teams identity. This is especially relevant to the All BLACKS?! Or Le BLEUS?!

It's a ridiculous topic to be complaining about, but only because the solution is so obvious that we shouldn't have to be complaining in the first place.

It's fine if you want to change the cut/design, but don't mess with a nations identity.

^^ I know where you're coming from Scuuba... it really upsets me when companies seem to look to exploit a team for their own profits.

I was amazed in France to see how much stuff Puma had manufactured with the Samoan Rugby Union crest on it... in purples, oranges, pinks, whites, stripes... it seem to me to smack of "well the Samoa team has a profile, let's churn out some random pieces of clothing with their crest on it to make some cash".

E.g. 1, E.g. 2, E.g. 3

I bet the companies that fitted Tonga and Fiji had wished they had done the same, seeing as these teams ended up receiving tons of publicity during the tournament (more Tonga than Fiji). I don't know, it just sticks in my craw.

But on topic, I don't know that the silver jerseys will make a difference. Considering France also no longer looks like the classical French team anyway!

^^ I know where you're coming from Scuuba... it really upsets me when companies seem to look to exploit a team for their own profits.

I was amazed in France to see how much stuff Puma had manufactured with the Samoan Rugby Union crest on it... in purples, oranges, pinks, whites, stripes... it seem to me to smack of "well the Samoa team has a profile, let's churn out some random pieces of clothing with their crest on it to make some cash".

E.g. 1, E.g. 2, E.g. 3

I bet the companies that fitted Tonga and Fiji had wished they had done the same, seeing as these teams ended up receiving tons of publicity during the tournament (more Tonga than Fiji). I don't know, it just sticks in my craw.

But on topic, I don't know that the silver jerseys will make a difference. Considering France also no longer looks like the classical French team anyway!

[/b]

If the Samoan RU gets some cash from this, then I have no qualms about it.