• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

southern hemisphere kicking

superrprop

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
i've been wondering why with the exception of carter and steyn none of the southern hemisphere kickers are consistently accurate. they are in general better attacking players but by week 8 in super rugby the average kicking percentage was 69% in mostly good weather while in the magners players like keatley who'd be nowhere near cooper in attacking play has mile better kicking stats in horrible conacht weather so just wondering do you guys practice it cause if you read rogs autobiography you see how much time he spent practising on days off whereas when aus came to dublin there 4 front line kickers went to see the sites theres even a video on youtube proving it

Kickers are payed good wages so I'd imagine the best SH kickers are playing in the NH.

No Southern Hemisphere kickers do not practice, they pray to god that their kicks will go over.

Kickers are payed good wages so I'd imagine the best SH kickers are playing in the NH.
I don't think so, not in the Aviva at least: with the exception of Gopperth and Evans I think all the main kickers in the Aviva teams are British

Can't think of any foreign kickers in the Magners either (other than when the main kicker isn't playing, i.e Warwick for Munster, Nacewa for Leinster)

there are loads of good southern hemisphere kickers, e.g. Peter Grant, and in the past Federico Todeschini, Elton Flatley, Matt Burke, Andrew Mehrtens and Derick Hougaard were all good kickers

Percy Montgomery, Clinton Schifcoskie, John Eales, Matt Giteau back in the day,

There are plenty of great kickers in the SH, however being a good kicker isn't enough to get you a starting 10 spot, as there is a stronger emphasis of being able to create play.

Latest posts