• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Spring Tour:New Zealand vs Ireland - 1st Test. (09/06/2012, 08:35 GMT)

Gerry Thornley's published his "possible" Irish 22 for the game. Given his past accuracy when selecting such sides and his fairly cosy relationship with the Ireland management I'd say with a fairly high level of certainty that this will be th​e Irish team.

15. R Kearney
14. A Trimble
13.B O’Driscoll (capt)
12. G D’Arcy
11. K Earls
10. J Sexton
9. C Murray
1.C Healy
2. R Best
3. M Ross or D Fitzpatrick
4. D O’Callaghan
5. D Ryan
6. S O’Brien
7. P O’Mahony
8. J Heaslip

Replacements: S Cronin, D Fitzpatrick or R Loughney, D Tuohy, C Henry, E Reddan, R O’Gara, F McFadden

If this is the selection its a very disappointing one.

The inclusion of D'arcy could maybe be justified on provincial form, but then again Paddy Wallace's inclusion could be justified on his form for Ulster.
The selection of Donncha O'Callaghan continues to beggar belief, probably shouldn't be in the 22 at all.
I don't think O'Mahony should be selected at 7 over Henry. My opinion is that if O'Mahony is going to start this game he should do so at 6, as he's not a better 7 than O'Brien or Henry. Also O'Brien has done well at 7 for Leinster, particularly in the Heineken Cup Final.
Also based on form Reddan should be starting ahead of Murray, particularly if Ireland want Sexton to play as he can play.

Is Tommy Bowe injured? Am I the only one that doesn't rate Earls at all?

Bowe is out until the autumn after surgery to remove a blood clot from near his kidney.

In relation to Earls I didn't rate him in the past, but this season he's come on a lot in areas where he had been weak, mainly defence and distribution. I expected him to be disastrous in the 6N at 13 and he actually made a decent show of it.

In fairness - I think everyone could have predicted that team, with the exception of the back row

Is Tommy Bowe injured? Am I the only one that doesn't rate Earls at all?

Bowe and Fitzgerald are both injured. I don't rate Earls as much as many Munstermen but I don't mind him in the team considering the injuries he's good enough. Anyway he's better than McFadden at ing or Zebo.

I am now going to have a small rant no one has to bother reading it.

I hate the way that whenever we play N.Z. they recycle the same old cliches. The Irish are very committed, they all care a lot about the jersey, it won't be easy, Brian O'Driscoll will be their dangerman etc.etc. It incredibly anoying or me as I find it so patronising. Most of these players are exellent player and have won H Cups, Celtic leagues and a Grand Slam. They have also taken scalps off S.A. and Aus over the last few years. Obviously proper respect won't come util we beat them but they are worthy of more than they are getting. I know I've been talking dow are chances on this tour but that's the way it works. False modesty is valued more than honesty by many here. We don't have that good a chance of winning because of really key injuries but players like Healy, Best, O'Brien, Heaslip, Sexton, O'Driscoll and Kearney are all deserving of respect and one or to place proper fear from the A.B.'s. From my point of view it's ok for Irish people to talk down our chances but when I see someone else (specially from the country we're playing) not being at all concerned about the threat we pose. I maybe irrationally get pretty ****** off. I can't speak for other Irish posters but this is the way I and many people I know feel. I know this is the way Declan Kidney works any comment he considers slightly insulting or patronising in the media will be brought up. In fairness the players will be pumped up but they are more than committed. Unfortunately it probably still won't be enough partly because Declan Kidney is the coach.

Rant over.

Interviews with:

Sean Fitzpatrick:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPafwoH8nTU&feature=plcp

Alan Quinlan:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=vhGjQItsuew

Last edited:
Bowe and Fitzgerald are both injured. I don't rate Earls as much as many Munstermen but I don't mind him in the team considering the injuries he's good enough. Anyway he's better than McFadden at ing or Zebo.

I hate the way that whenever we play N.Z. they recycle the same old cliches. The Irish are very committed, they all care a lot about the jersey, it won't be easy, Brian O'Driscoll will be their dangerman etc.etc. It incredibly anoying or me as I find it so patronising. Most of these players are exellent player and have won H Cups, Celtic leagues and a Grand Slam. They have also taken scalps off S.A. and Aus over the last few years. Obviously proper respect won't come util we beat them but they are worthy of more than they are getting. I know I've been talking dow are chances on this tour but that's the way it works. False modesty is valued more than honesty by many here. We don't have that good a chance of winning because of really key injuries but players like Healy, Best, O'Brien, Heaslip, Sexton, O'Driscoll and Kearney are all deserving of respect and one or to place proper fear from the A.B.'s. From my point of view it's ok for Irish people to talk down our chances but when I see someone else (specially from the country we're playing) not being at all concerned about the threat we pose. I maybe irrationally get pretty ****** off. I can't speak for other Irish posters but this is the way I and many people I know feel. I know this is the way Declan Kidney works any comment he considers slightly insulting or patronising in the media will be brought up. In fairness the players will be pumped up but they are more than committed. Unfortunately it probably still won't be enough partly because Declan Kidney is the coach.

Rant over.

Interviews with:

Our lads can do their talking on the pitch so if lack of respect is the issue;)

Not when Ronan Loughney is in our 22.

:D fair point.

TBH to a certain degree I think the New Zealand fans are a bit arrogant, and doesnt give Ireland much respect, mind you being consistently being the best team in the world and beating us with ease everytime they play us will do that. However, for example, I was recently having a bit of banter with a New Zealand rugby on youtube recently, and he reckoned that Rob Kearney and BOD would be average if they were playing with southern hemisphere teams, and that Rob and BOD were overhyped. Thats going a bit overboard with the cockiness, as we all know the words BOD and average dont go together in a sentence ;)

All Blacks: Israel Dagg, Zac Guildford, Conrad Smith, Sonny Bill Williams, Julian Savea, Dan Carter, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (c), Victor Vito, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Andrew Hore, Tony Woodcock
Reserves: Hika Elliot, Ben Franks, Ali Williams, Adam Thomson, Piri Weepu, Aaron Cruden, Ben Smith

All Blacks: Israel Dagg, Zac Guildford, Conrad Smith, Sonny Bill Williams, Julian Savea, Dan Carter, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (c), Victor Vito, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Andrew Hore, Tony Woodcock
Reserves: Hika Elliot, Ben Franks, Ali Williams, Adam Thomson, Piri Weepu, Aaron Cruden, Ben Smith

Called 21/22 yesterday, bloody Hika Elliot.

Called 21/22 yesterday, bloody Hika Elliot.

Called 22/22 yesterday, as I had heard earlier in the week that Mealamu had been ruled out ;)

Very happy with that AB's team - indeed it wouldn't be too far off who I would pick if I was selecting the team myself! It will be interesting to see the NZ scrum goes with Retallick in the tighthead lock position. He has got the bulk to be an effective scrummager, but always seems to scrummage on the loosehead side. NZ's scrum willl undoubtedly be less effective with Brad Thorn, but fortunately for NZ I don't think Ireland has the scrum to exploit this (especially if Ross is out!).

Last edited:
We'll beat that All Blacks team by 3 points with ease :p

i-got-this.gif

Rant over.

Interviews with:

The fact of the matter is, only a few Irish players have ever performed particularly well against us, at least in recent years. Beyond BOD and a couple of others, when was the last time one of the Irish players actually stood out against NZ, in a good way?

Ireland have never beaten us, their players may be good when playing H Cup, or in the Six Nations or whatever, but they don't retain those standards against NZ for whatever reason. I'm sure there are some good players in the team, but until you prove you can play well against the top team in the world, it's all a bit irrelevant.

Ireland could beat us, sure, but does anyone realistically think they have a chance of doing so? Not really.

Last edited:
Lots of rumours online that this is the Ireland team:
Kearney, McFadden, Earls, O'Driscoll, Zebo, Sexton, Murray; Healy, Best, Fitzpatrick/Ross, Tuohy, Ryan, O'Brien, O'Mahony, Heaslip.

We'll see. I'll be very surprised if Kidney selects that team.

All Blacks: Israel Dagg, Zac Guildford, Conrad Smith, Sonny Bill Williams, Julian Savea, Dan Carter, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (c), Victor Vito, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Andrew Hore, Tony Woodcock Reserves: Hika Elliot, Ben Franks, Ali Williams, Adam Thomson, Piri Weepu, Aaron Cruden, Ben Smith
Iiiiiiiim so hapyyyyyy :) trolololololololololololololololol

The fact of the matter is, only a few Irish players have ever performed particularly well against us, at least in recent years. Beyond BOD and a couple of others, when was the last time one of the Irish players actually stood out against NZ, in a good way?

Ireland have never beaten us, their players may be good when playing H Cup, or in the Six Nations or whatever, but they don't retain those standards against NZ for whatever reason. I'm sure there are some good players in the team, but until you prove you can play well against the top team in the world, it's all a bit irrelevant.

Ireland could beat us, sure, but does anyone realistically think they have a chance of doing so? Not really.

Tony Buckley did and that says a lot.....