• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springbok to be replaced by Protea

This is a joke, to be perfectly honest I have no idea who the Protea's are, and I don't care...

All I know is the Springbok's, the boks are one of the best nations in World Rugby, they have been known as the boks for decades, and why should this change now, for a political nightmare...

This will cost the South African Rugby Team Millions in Revenue and also a lot of the fan base around the world, if anything from what I understand, NZ - (The All Blacks) is the biggest brand in International Rugby, I would say South Africa are easily the 2nd biggest brand in International Rugby

This whole Protea for all national teams is stupid. Our national soccer teams' name is Bafana Bafana (in English: Boys Boys) which doesn't relate to anything significant in SA. But so far nor their name nor their symbol has come under attack. Again you can see how selective these things are, it's all about personal agenda.
Plus nobody actually cares about Bafana which are ranked 85th in the world. HOWEVER everybody wants a piece of the World Champion and 2nd ranked team in the world.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Oct 10 2008, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Like i said before. It has nothing to do with rugby, or sport. It has to do with race. It's always about f***ing race. This is the same reason that all our cities are changing their names and street names. " so so and so is a symbol of apartheid" is always the excuse for everything. Who gives a f*** if it is or not? It is part of our history, our heritage. Good or bad, history is history. Fact is, i hate this retarded regime, and these idiots need to just die. You think any one of our players will run out onto that field with tears in their eyes if they know that they are playing as the "Proteas" and not the legendary Springboks?

God dammit i hate this country.[/b]

I thought saffas used different names depending what their 1st language was...?

Anyway, this is f***ing stupid. A Springbok is an animal native to africa. It's not like it's a tulip or a clogg or some other imported dutch symbol, which i could understand them wanting to change...

Plus, Mandela was able to wear that shirt, surely the country should move on from sport front and start worrying about the serious issues left over from apartheid... I've said before I can see why they're meddling in sport with quotas and stuff but it's just petty and stupid to be bothering with something so small.

Ag not again. We;ve been here so many times.

Go look through the archive forums and you will find so many topics on this matter, Bokmagic hit the nail on the head when he said that there was one reason why this will not ever happen - Money.

The bok emblem and the integrity of that emblem is what makes it such a great brand, you don't need to be a prof in consumerist studies to know that global brands are not easy to come by - the Bok makes too much money. Simple. Apart from that the bok has done and is still doing alot to take the sport into disadvantaged areas.

In the history of SA no other emblem has done more to unite a nation see WC 95, 07. Only a few with their own personal hidden agendas still seek to expose the Bok emblem as the last bastion of apartheid.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
This is from Rugby365.com

http://www.rugby365.com/news/1227500.htm

United Democratic Movement leader Bantu Holomisa says he was unsurprised by the timing of Butana Komphela’s latest attack on the Springbok emblem.

Speaking through a statement on Monday Holomisa said the party noted with interest the statements made by the Chairperson of the Portfolio Committee of Sport, but that they had not been surprised to see them coming to the fore.

"We should not be surprised by this publicity stunt because certain African National Congress members want to ingratiate themselves with the new ANC leadership, and ensure that they are high on the list for 2009's election."

He said in the process they were embarrassing the ANC, whose official position was for the retention of the emblem.

Komphela's call was not a reflection of what the committee had discussed and was also not the formal position of the committee or the political parties who served on it.

"The Springboks must prepare for their upcoming tour and not concern themselves with this opportunistic noise by the honourable Mr Komphela."

He said the UDM had full confidence in the current leadership of SA rugby. It was this leadership - under coach Pieter de Villiers - that had given the country a team where transformation and class were not mutually exclusive objectives.

Holomisa said instead of making a noise, Komphela and Sport Minister Makhenkesi Stofile should lobby for more funding from the minister of finance to enhance and expand development of players and facilities at grassroot level.

"In other words, actually focus on building something, as opposed to mouthing off and breaking down," said Holomisa.

He said if the Springbok was a symbol of oppression, then the ANC should be asked why it was applying selective amnesia regarding apartheid era symbols.

"How else can we explain the decision for the new democratic parliament to use the apartheid era's parliamentary premises?

"Or for that matter the three ANC-appointed presidents of the country installing themselves in the Union Buildings - the ultimate symbol of Apartheid's power and oppression?" said Holomisa.

He said this demonstrated that South Africans should and could take ownership of symbols.

"The Springbok belongs to all of us - as was clearly demonstrated by the widespread support during and after 2007's Rugby World Cup victory."

-Sapa[/b]

Holomisa said instead of making a noise, Komphela and Sport Minister Makhenkesi Stofile should lobby for more funding from the minister of finance to enhance and expand development of players and facilities at grassroot level.[/b]

Because that would like you know, actually make a f***ing difference, and help with the core grassroots transformation of Rugby in SA (where it's supposed to be happening).
Of course that would be a taboo here in SA, who ever heard of a sane South African minister, apart from Trevor Manuel ?

So obviously they go for an emblem that's done more for the reconsiliation and transformation of this country than any of -them- ever have.
I'd like to present them with Tuks FM's Drive show "dunce of the day" award, but then they're all idiots all of the time, so it would be rather redundant.

Yep you're right QKXV, it's "that time of the year" where everybody has conferences and kicks up a big stink. I think people in SA are so upset this time because it's come at the worst possible time.

The fake PdV sex tape and then he says he might as well "give rugby back to the whites"..
This sports Indaba where Kompela said white people are arrogant when it comes to the Springbok emblem..
And now Puke Watson saying SARU is rotten to the core and is controlled by dutchmen..

It's just too much! You might not be exposed to it too much in England but there are very high tensions here in SA. To add to that SARU launched a "No To Racism" campaign in the CC after a very suspicious allegation of a racist attack during half time at Ellis Park when SA played Oz. The women that was so called attacked, while people just supposedly walked by, didn't want to press charges and couldn't give a description of the attackers...
Recently "transformation" has featured on Special Assignment and Interface on TV with Kompela spewing his hate speeches on both, while having his "facts" hopelessly wrong.
People are really getting tired of this constant saga in rugby.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Oct 12 2008, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Argh not these people again. They talk about uniting the nation and all that but they're just trying to satisfy their own agendas.
These are the same people saying there must be at least 8 black players in the Boks from Feb next year to represent the proper "demographics" of SA. In that case we should have a few gay and indian players in the team as well... But of course they won't push that because it's not part of their personal vendettas.
The Springbok emblem was in use WAY before the Apartheid regime started, it was in use before there was even a proper SA. I mean, c'mon, it's just a small buck that's indigenous to SA, it's not like its some political symbol or something.
Makes me sick.[/b]

Well I guess the segregation started long time before being formalised with the Apartheid, wasn't it? Was there any coloured people wearing the Springbock jerzey before formal Apartheid started?

I agree with you that envisioning the replacement Springbock may not be the better way to get peaceful relationships among the different communities nevertheless symbols are often changed when there's a change of regime, the faucile and hammer symbol have dissapeared from all the Russian jerzeys for example although it was under USSR that the best sporting results and performances were achieved. Rugby has been in SA for so many years the sport of the dominating white community, especially the afrikaners, that the Springbock may have been associated to the segregation.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Oct 21 2008, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Rugby has been in SA for so many years the sport of the dominating white community, especially the afrikaners, that the Springbock may have been associated to the segregation.[/b]

In the same way that many North African French see traditional French symbols and being associated to the white majority there? Or how many British Asians and West Indians cannot distinguish between a police uniform and racism?

Just playing devils advocate...

Well they call the Welsh team 'the dragons' and the Argentine team 'the pumas' despite the lack of either creature adorning their shirt, so I'm sure the Boks will still be known as such.

im a bok suporter not a freaken flower eater. i will become a all black supporter if the springbok aint the springbok anymore

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Macsen @ Oct 22 2008, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well they call the Welsh team 'the dragons' and the Argentine team 'the pumas' despite the lack of either creature adorning their shirt, so I'm sure the Boks will still be known as such.[/b]

Just for future reference, isn't this the logo Argentina have on their shirt?

Argentina%20Rugby.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Oct 22 2008, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Macsen @ Oct 22 2008, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well they call the Welsh team 'the dragons' and the Argentine team 'the pumas' despite the lack of either creature adorning their shirt, so I'm sure the Boks will still be known as such.[/b]

Just for future reference, isn't this the logo Argentina have on their shirt?

Argentina%20Rugby.jpg

[/b][/quote]

That's a Jaguar not a Puma.

:ph34r:

This is a prime example of what sleep deprivation does to ones thought process kiddies. Made a right mess of that one didn't I now?

HOWEVER, I could get away with this as I never said it was a Puma did I? I just said it was their logo.......... f*** it, I fail.

Disgraceful. I think my South African mate would switch to the Wallabies permanently if this happened.

I think the point he is trying to make is that this decision will cause more division and more separation within South African society.

Again, look to France. You can easily argue that what Nicholas Sarkozy has done in his years in political office has done more to fracture and divide French society in recent years than other major French political figures.

Either way, we should all be worried.

This is Exactly the type of politically motivated, misinformed bullshit that is driving hordes of educated South Africans out of their beloved country every year.

The sick thing is, tribalism (the most vicious form of racism) is still rampant throughout Africa and it really is tearing the continent apart. People will vote according to tribal affiliations and do whatever their tribal big wigs in government tell them to. In South Africa, it's not the content of your character that counts, but rather the colour of your skin and the tribe you're born into.

As a result, the most ruthless get to the top (Jacob Zuma, Mugabe, Idi Amin etc. etc. etc. ad nauseam). As a result, we have idiots who have no appreciation, love or passion for their position of power - enter komphela.

Oh well, I suppose its all apartheid and colonialism's fault, that argument seems to have done Mugabe and Zimbabwe wonders in the past 20 years :rolleyes:

Springboks 'no more' in South Africa

From staff reporters
November 19, 2008

SOUTH African rugby is to drop the century-old emblem of the national side, replacing the Springbok with the king protea, the Republic's national flower.
South Africa's sports minister, Makhenkesi Stofile, said the Springboks symbol would not be axed completely, in response to incoming legislation that requires national teams to wear the king protea emblem on the left side of the jersey, but he said that its size and position on the jersey had not been finalised.

"The minister also advised us that the commercial emblem of national sporting federations - in rugby's case, the Springbok - can be utilised as federations deem fit, so long as that use does not compromise the national emblem," South African Rugby Union president Oregan Hoskins said in a statement.

Hoskins will convene a special meeting on December 1 to determine the details on the new emblem, which is already used in other sports.[/b]

This cant be true surely?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Nov 19 2008, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Springboks 'no more' in South Africa

From staff reporters
November 19, 2008

SOUTH African rugby is to drop the century-old emblem of the national side, replacing the Springbok with the king protea, the Republic's national flower.
South Africa's sports minister, Makhenkesi Stofile, said the Springboks symbol would not be axed completely, in response to incoming legislation that requires national teams to wear the king protea emblem on the left side of the jersey, but he said that its size and position on the jersey had not been finalised.

"The minister also advised us that the commercial emblem of national sporting federations - in rugby's case, the Springbok - can be utilised as federations deem fit, so long as that use does not compromise the national emblem," South African Rugby Union president Oregan Hoskins said in a statement.

Hoskins will convene a special meeting on December 1 to determine the details on the new emblem, which is already used in other sports.[/b]

This cant be true surely?
[/b][/quote]
If this happens it will be the greatest rugby tragedy of the 21st century.

The greatest rugby tragedy of the 20th century was Wales losing its status as an equal with S.A and NZ.....the big three.

I am not S.A but I would feel like the soul of rugby has been compromised if the Springbok emblem is lost.  There are some things that MUST never be lost.  Once they are lost things are never the same again.  In football (soccer) the South American super powers are recognised as Argentina and Brazil.  Yet once upon a time Paraguay was the super power of the early world cups and used to laugh at Brazil and Argentina.  Now they are lost in the football wilderness forever and what a loss tothe world it has been.  The Springbok emblem is not just a part of South African rugby history.  It is a part of NZ rugby history.  It is a part of world rugby history.  It is a part of rugby history.  For fecks sake it IS rugby history!  

The All Blacks NEED the Springbok emblem..as much as it needs the Welsh Dragon, the English Rose, the French Rooster, the Flower of Scotland, etc....

Good men played hard and left all they had on the field for these emblems....good men gave their all...playing one of the last sports of gentlemen.  Men who respected each other and who to this day despite the rivalry have a mutual respect for each other.

As an All Black supporter the AB brand will grow stronger financially with the elimination of the Springbok emblem but....WE DO NOT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN!  Rugby without rivalries and its history becomes meaningless and therefore is in danger of going down that football road of "friendlies".

If Komphella wants to truly get rid of the old regime then he and the ANC should dynamite everything associated to anything white and go back to their days of living in straw huts holding spears.  He himself should get in shape and go hunt a buffalo.  The road he drove home on tonight was created by white masters...the whole country is a reminder of white aparthied...so he should blow the lot up if he hates the old regime so much!

Get over it Kompheller.....he should be more concerned about how the blacks are killing innocent people every chance they get just for a few dollars.

Latest posts