• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

No Springbok on chest of RWC South African Jersey

Its a slow death she dies. I'm with Sker on this one; numb. I've had my rants. Anyone in SA trying to argue with this will either be; out of line / overreacting / racist / ignorant.

Its a conditioning thing; you almost start to get used to all the BS: farm murders, land reforms, language discrimination issues, BEE. Hell, I lost out to promotion to a guy with 0 experience who didn't even seem remotely competent and it feels like the most normal thing in the world. Compared to everyday issues in SA, moving a logo seems kinda irrelevant.

I can see SA rugby selling almost -zero- replica jerseys for the 2011 RWC, say goodbey to some really big money you fuckwits.
And it serves them ******* right for being such a bunch of idiotic pisspots.
I also don't see why the Emblem couldn't just be in the middle where the sponsorship usually would be considering sponsorship is banned during WC.

Actions speak louder than words - I think the South African supporters should just boycott the new jersey and wear a jersey that they already own like the World Cup 07 one or just the most recent one prior to the new one announced for World Cup

Actions speak louder than words - I think the South African supporters should just boycott the new jersey and wear a jersey that they already own like the World Cup 07 one or just the most recent one prior to the new one announced for World Cup

Most people do that, except they wear the jersey without the Protea on it.

Most people do that, except they wear the jersey without the Protea on it.

I don't understand why the Protea has to be on it in stead of the Springbok... The national Rugby Union team is part of SARU and the emblem of SARU is the Springbok,

springbokemblem.jpg

just like Bafana Bafana has their own emblem linked to SAFA

south-africa.gif

much as a jersey boycott sounds sensible, the South Africans haven't exactly endeared themselves to the rugby public with their prostests in the past.. ('justice' springs to mind). And then you have the fact that I've seen many pre-apartheid flags still being waved around at Twickenham when the Boks are over - so small pockets of the supporters have been very slow/ reluctant to grasp 'change'.

What ought to happen is the placement of the Springbok logo underneath the protea. This way, the iRB get their way (and in fairness, there's always been a logo there to show it's a world cup), the ANC get their way with the protea, and the supporters and rugby world get their way by having a Springbok there, which everyone knows is the true name and logo of the South African rugby team, no matter what the petty minds in government say.

SARU has released a statement, but I can't find a link, and it reveals some interesting info

Apparently the Aussies have also had to move the Wallaby to a sleeve, as IRB regulations say that no more thasn 3 logos can be on the front of the shirt

It also says that these changes were in place for the womens' WC

The Springbok on the sleeve is an idea. The Web Ellis Cup with the 2 underneath on the other sleeve. Why not put that ugly flower on the sleeve and the Springbok on the front since the Springbok is the emblem of SARU, not the Protea.

I think a lot of the pro-ANC crowd would be absolutely shocked if they spoke to any international rugby fans who regardless of race see the endless persecution of the Springbok emblem as absolutely discraceful.

The IRB and the South African government should be ashamed.

How about something like this? Why not make the Springbok part of the actual jersey, using a motif of shades and highlights to put a stylized Springbok on the whole jersey.

I am thinking of something similar to what Mexico did for the 1986 FIFA World Cup, where they had an Aztec symbol across the whole jersey

MexicoHSSNo.9.1998c.gif

or what Bafana Bafana had at last recent Confed Cup.

bafana.png

How about something like this? Why not make the Springbok part of the actual jersey, using a motif of shades and highlights to put a stylized Springbok on the whole jersey.

I am thinking of something similar to what Mexico did for the 1986 FIFA World Cup, where they had an Aztec symbol across the whole jersey

MexicoHSSNo.9.1998c.gif

or what Bafana Bafana had at last recent Confed Cup.

bafana.png

I appreciate the idea, but to me it's really veering away from what our international rugby jersey's have traditionally been like. I'm more with the Protea being above the Springbok and then they're both on the jersey in a badge like position. :)

@ smartcooky: Mexico had that for the 1998 World Cup ;) Not the 1986 World Cup

@ smartcooky: Mexico had that for the 1998 World Cup ;) Not the 1986 World Cup

Yes you are right. I was just going by the name on the back... Hugo Sanchez. He did not play in the FIFA World Cup in 1998 (he would have been 40 years old) so it is interesting that they have his name on that shirt.

The jersey I was thinking of was this one, from the 1994 World Cup

mexico-home-football-shirt-1993-1994-s_16069_1.jpg

Sanchez playedfor Mexico in the 1978, 1986 and 1994 World Cups, not in 1998.

Yes you are right. I was just going by the name on the back... Hugo Sanchez. He did not play in the FIFA World Cup in 1998 (he would have been 40 years old) so it is interesting that they have his name on that shirt.

The jersey I was thinking of was this one, from the 1994 World Cup

mexico-home-football-shirt-1993-1994-s_16069_1.jpg

Sanchez playedfor Mexico in the 1978, 1986 and 1994 World Cups, not in 1998.

Unless its for Oswaldo Sánchez, although he was a goalkeeper for Mexico at the time.

I appreciate the idea, but to me it's really veering away from what our international rugby jersey's have traditionally been like. I'm more with the Protea being above the Springbok and then they're both on the jersey in a badge like position. :)

If you look at the Tongan and Samoan shirts, you will see that they also have their symbols printed on it.
I see what you're aiming at but it would be cool if the SARU would launch a competition to redesign the shirts.
Their might be some mad designers out there

This is more or less what I had in mind

BokJersey.png

The Sport 24 site in South Africa is now saying the springbok is going on the sleeve

This is more or less what I had in mind

BokJersey.png
I like that alot,
They could have it indented into the material rather than printed on (like the Lion on the B&I Lions shirts) - i think that'd look good

Looks like they've got it sorted now, from Shaggys post, though i think they should move the Protea to the sleeve not the Bok, as they're the Boks, everyone knows them as that, and that's SA Rugbys symbol =/

Will "All Blacks" still be written on NZs jerseys? Is that not a brand rather than an emblem:huh:?

Latest posts