• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springbok to be replaced by Protea

Just do what Australia do, have the Protea over one breast and the Springbok over the other. They said that they can still have the Springbok but have to put the Protea on there....sorted

http://www.sport24.co.za/Content/Rugby/264...ums_next_target
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Cape Town â€" ANC MPs Butana Komphela and Cedrick Frolick have set their sights on rugby stadiums as a next target.

“We are on our way to taking away all stadiums from rugby…nothing will stop us,†Komphela said when Frolick asked eThekwini Metro municipal manager, Dr. Mike Sutcliffe, about the ownership of the Absa Stadium in Durban.

At least two rugby unions came under attack on Wednesday during a meeting of the parliamentary portfolio committee on sport with the local organising committee of the 2010 Soccer World Cup and host cities.

They did not attempt to disguise their negative sentiment towards rugby.

This follows news on Tuesday that the minister of sport, Reverend Makhenkesi Stofile, told the South African Rugby Union (Saru) to shift the Springbok-emblem to the right-hand side of the jersey to accommodate the King Protea.

According to Frolick racist attacks on black people after the Currie Cup final at the Absa Stadium (home ground of the Sharks) made him realise that the notion that certain stadiums are reserved for rugby and other ones for different sports should change.

Sutcliffe explained to the committee that the metro council own the ground on which the Absa Stadium stands and that there is a 55-year lease agreement in place with the KwaZulu Natal Rugby Union (KZNRU).

The council would like the KZNRU to move from the Absa Stadium to the new Moses Mabhida Stadium, which is being built for 2010.

At present the rugby union is not entertaining the thought, but Sutcliffe believes they will ultimately be forced to move.

“Moses Mabhida is a better stadium and hopefully we can use legislation to force them,†he said.

Komphela said something else than a rugby stadium should be built on the ground the Absa Stadium currently stands on “so that it can be for all the people of KwaZulu Natalâ€.

The Free State Rugby Union also came under attack because it is claiming R20m for loss of income from the Mangaung Municipality.

“I want to know what has to be done to get rugby out of that lease agreement,†Komphela told Mangaung city manager Thabo Manyoni.

Manyoni said they were opposing the claim. “We believe it’s an investment in the stadium, while the union say they did not ask for it and that we are wasting their time,†said Manyoni.

Komphela wants to meet with the Free State Rugby Union (FSRU) next week.

Harold Verster, president of the FSRU, said his union would exercise its rights.

Frolick, who called rugby “racist†and a "sport for criminalsâ€, welcomed Stofile’s instruction to Saru about the Protea emblem.

“It is encouraging that rugby has also come into line. We look forward to seeing the newly developed Protea emblem, as well as the blazers and ties,†he said.

Frolick also took a swipe at the Afrikaans newspapers for concentrating “only on rugbyâ€.

“The Springboks are not all powerful! The Soccer World Cup is! That is how we will express ourselves as a nation. The Springbok is a side issue. We are now in the post-Springbok period,†he said.[/b]

Racist attacks at the Shark Tank after the CC final? What rubbish bullshit. Why are lying tyrants like these 2 even in charge of anything to with SA sport when they obviously have no interest in sport but rather fulfilling their personal vendettas.
I'm really sick of this crap.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Nov 19 2008, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Nov 19 2008, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Springboks 'no more' in South Africa

From staff reporters
November 19, 2008

SOUTH African rugby is to drop the century-old emblem of the national side, replacing the Springbok with the king protea, the Republic's national flower.
South Africa's sports minister, Makhenkesi Stofile, said the Springboks symbol would not be axed completely, in response to incoming legislation that requires national teams to wear the king protea emblem on the left side of the jersey, but he said that its size and position on the jersey had not been finalised.

"The minister also advised us that the commercial emblem of national sporting federations - in rugby's case, the Springbok - can be utilised as federations deem fit, so long as that use does not compromise the national emblem," South African Rugby Union president Oregan Hoskins said in a statement.

Hoskins will convene a special meeting on December 1 to determine the details on the new emblem, which is already used in other sports.[/b]

This cant be true surely?
[/b][/quote]
If this happens it will be the greatest rugby tragedy of the 21st century.

The greatest rugby tragedy of the 20th century was Wales losing its status as an equal with S.A and NZ.....the big three.

I am not S.A but I would feel like the soul of rugby has been compromised if the Springbok emblem is lost. There are some things that MUST never be lost. Once they are lost things are never the same again. In football (soccer) the South American super powers are recognised as Argentina and Brazil. Yet once upon a time Paraguay was the super power of the early world cups and used to laugh at Brazil and Argentina. Now they are lost in the football wilderness forever and what a loss tothe world it has been. The Springbok emblem is not just a part of South African rugby history. It is a part of NZ rugby history. It is a part of world rugby history. It is a part of rugby history. For fecks sake it IS rugby history!

The All Blacks NEED the Springbok emblem..as much as it needs the Welsh Dragon, the English Rose, the French Rooster, the Flower of Scotland, etc....

Good men played hard and left all they had on the field for these emblems....good men gave their all...playing one of the last sports of gentlemen. Men who respected each other and who to this day despite the rivalry have a mutual respect for each other.

As an All Black supporter the AB brand will grow stronger financially with the elimination of the Springbok emblem but....WE DO NOT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN! Rugby without rivalries and its history becomes meaningless and therefore is in danger of going down that football road of "friendlies".

If Komphella wants to truly get rid of the old regime then he and the ANC should dynamite everything associated to anything white and go back to their days of living in straw huts holding spears. He himself should get in shape and go hunt a buffalo. The road he drove home on tonight was created by white masters...the whole country is a reminder of white aparthied...so he should blow the lot up if he hates the old regime so much!

Get over it Kompheller.....he should be more concerned about how the blacks are killing innocent people every chance they get just for a few dollars.
[/b][/quote]

USSR used to be a power house of Ice Hockey and many other sports, their red stars, the CCCP naming and the hammer and sickle were very common. All that have disappeared and very few people are missing it.

I won't cry if the Springbok symbol disappears, in my view they should just stick to their wonderful flag which is the real symbol of the post-apartheid SA. I consider that the real challenge for SA Rugby is to make of Rugby the number 1 sport in SA, there should be 1 million Rugbymen over there.

You know the Springbok emblem has actually been revamped several times already. From 1906 to
around 1995 the Springbok was jumping to the left, but the ANC that it symbolizes 'looking to the past'. So they swapped it around. Ok...
Then the they said that the Springbok over the Protea flower represents dominance over black people (the Protea was the symbol used for the black national rugby team). That was around 1999 I think.
And now we're at the current emblem with the Protea above the Springbok but they say the Protea has to be bigger than the Springbok.

Well, when the leader of your nation states in parliament that a shower can cure aids, you know your country's fu**ed

Is there really a need to standardise symbols? Very few Australian teams playing internationally wear either the Kangaroo or the Wallabies as their team symbol.

How can this not be about racism, if it wasn't they would be receptive to changing all the other sports teams to the Springboks - But we know that aint gonna happen.

Sure I can see some people wanting to identify the Springboks with some of the troubles that have befallen South Africa. But you know what - Rugby and the Springboks were around long before those events.

And I kinda like watching the Wallabies and the Springboks - makes my day

As I keep saying: I completely agree that black South Africans are due some kind of reparation/ and are entitled to wield power. But I think it's f***ing pathetic they choose to wield it by being anal over minor issues like rugby, as opposed to the wider problems of AIDs, poverty and the rest. It seems they're too cowardly to tackle the big issues so have to have a go at the minor ones just to make it look like they're doing something...

You know if i was in south africa at the time i would have no hesistation to pull the trigger at them even if i did go to jail i think it would make alot of people happy.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Nov 22 2008, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You know the Springbok emblem has actually been revamped several times already. From 1906 to
around 1995 the Springbok was jumping to the left, but the ANC that it symbolizes 'looking to the past'. So they swapped it around. Ok...
Then the they said that the Springbok over the Protea flower represents dominance over black people (the Protea was the symbol used for the black national rugby team). That was around 1999 I think.
And now we're at the current emblem with the Protea above the Springbok but they say the Protea has to be bigger than the Springbok.[/b]
Lucky for us a silver fern is quite simple.  Yet even though we have the silver fern as our national sporting emblem our team/s all have different names...from All Blacks/Black Ferns/Silver Ferns/Blacks Caps/Black Socks/Tall Blacks/All Whites/Black Sticks/Black Cocks (yes its true)/Wheel Blacks/etc...

We even name our sporting machines in a similar vein (Black Magic/Black Beauty).

Then you get the rebel team that wants to do its own thing...the Kiwis with a kiwi as its logo.  However they had no choice as they were the rebels against the rugby establishment and had no choice but to adopt a non fern symbol...though they still gave their allegiance to NZ by wearing a black uniform.  They have duly been forgiven for their sins of 100 years ago with this weekends victory.

What else would the Kiwis be though... Black Boots?

Imagine if SA's national team was called the All Whites/Blacks. There would be more problems then...

They don't need a name, they've got the ***le as World Champion Kiwi Rugby League Team.

How sweet it is to be for the next 5, yes 5 years. :bravo:

Three pages of posts from people all around the world and not one person has mentioned the

big elephant in the room

That is kinda scary.

If the Springboks have to change to the Proteas like our cricket team, does that mean also mean that our football team, Bafana Bafana will change to Proteas come the 2010 World Cup?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fantasy King @ Dec 2 2008, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If the Springboks have to change to the Proteas like our cricket team, does that mean also mean that our football team, Bafana Bafana will change to Proteas come the 2010 World Cup?[/b]

No. Because the majority of soccer supporters here a black. So the decision would not **** off enough white people to actually warrant the effort.

Ahhh f*** it, as no one else has I will (and the topic is fading)

The Elephant: Surely 40 years under an Apartheid regime grants them the right to stick a fecking Hippo on the shirt if they want to (once it represents the majority). Just because 15-20 years have passed doesnt make the past go away. Moving (not removing) the Bok emblem shouldnt cause any kind of reaction like this. Its the other politics that are causing the problem, this is more a symptom of the problem as opposed to the problem itself.

Its clear that the ideals portrayed in 1995 have faded and lines are being drawn again. Add corrupt, seemingly inept and dangerously tribal politics into the mix, and you have an open invitation to get the f*** out of the country. I dont live there, havent been there but from an outsiders point of view it looks as if the country is going to ****. Slowly but surely going to ****.

I sympathise, but at the same time, it is a problem of your own making.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wizard From Oz @ Nov 22 2008, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sure I can see some people wanting to identify the Springboks with some of the troubles that have befallen South Africa. But you know what - Rugby and the Springboks were around long before those events.[/b]

As far as I understood segregation was strong before the apartheid officially started, saffa posters can let us know if this was the case. So apartheid was rather the formalisation of what was already ongoing. I fear that still for most of the very long history of SA Rugby segregation and/or apartheid was the norm.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 3 2008, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ahhh f*** it, as no one else has I will (and the topic is fading)

The Elephant: Surely 40 years under an Apartheid regime grants them the right to stick a fecking Hippo on the shirt if they want to (once it represents the majority). Just because 15-20 years have passed doesnt make the past go away. Moving (not removing) the Bok emblem shouldnt cause any kind of reaction like this. Its the other politics that are causing the problem, this is more a symptom of the problem as opposed to the problem itself.

Its clear that the ideals portrayed in 1995 have faded and lines are being drawn again. Add corrupt, seemingly inept and dangerously tribal politics into the mix, and you have an open invitation to get the f*** out of the country. I dont live there, havent been there but from an outsiders point of view it looks as if the country is going to ****. Slowly but surely going to ****.

I sympathise, but at the same time, it is a problem of your own making.[/b]

This is bang on and is more or less my view as well. The news and reports we get through up here are alarming. Everything, from the high murder rate of white farmers through the chronic and shambolic lack of investment in things such as power and water and (an admittedly hardcore minority) of ANC activists swearing oaths to kill anyone who oppose them or their designated candidate whose theme song is "Bring me my machine gun", everything points to a gradual slide in the wrong direction.

With a South African government more at home with snuggling up to and backing to the hilt suspect and frankly monstrous regimes such as Burma, Sudan and Zimbabwe and so much more, people have a right to be cynical and pessimistic about South Africa's chances.

Latest posts