• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Team for New Zealand - Who should be considered

G

getofmeland

Well with the Guinness Premiership coming to end in the next couple of weeks, who should Mr <strike>Ashton</strike> Johnson include on his tour?

Who's impressed enough to deserve a place and who should be left at home...

I`d like to see James Simpson-Daniel,Ryan Lamb and Nick Wood from my club Gloucester plus the likes of David Paice,Nick Kennedy,Topsy Ojo,Danny care,Tom Guest, Will Skinner and Danny Grewcock to go along with the usual crew. Any chance we can change Akapusi Qera`s passport and make him English some how? (as you can probably tell I cant reply to any thread without mentioning his name.What a legend).

The pack will be much of a muchness, my only supprises would be to take Hartley and ***terall, but the backline should ring-in wholesale changes this year;

9. Care
10. Lamb
11. Simpson Daniel
12. Geherety/Flood
13. ???
14. Banahan
15. Cipriani

Ode to somehow squeeze Ojo in there also.

13 will be the problem. My natural instinct is to say Hipkiss, but 1. will he be fully fit? and 2. If so, will his form be good enough? Other options are Smith, Tindall and Noon, but that position is looking to be a very weak point at present. Anyone who suggests Tait as even a remotely good option for it is a raging Northern Communist.

What im suprised with England is thye have never capped Nick Kennedy of London Irish. Id argue he is the best lineout /second row and im just suprised hes not in the mix.

I reckon Johnson will take players like him and Hartley on tour!

Well if Simpson Daniel isn't in the squad then something is seriously wrong... the guy has been on fire this season and deserves his place there... I would like to see Banahan there as well, but I am not sure whether he will be ready...

I would also like to see Abendanon and possibly Barkley included in the squad...

I think Danny Care needs to be considered for first choice at scrum half tho...

9. Care or Ellis, split the tests with each one getting a start
10. Cipriani
11. Ojo or Simpson Daniel, split the tests
12. Geraghty or Flood, split the tests once again
13. Noon or Tait, split the tests
14. Strettle or Sackey
15. Brown or Abendanon

in my opinion i don't think Banahan is an international quality winger.

The pack will be much of a muchness, my only supprises would be to take Hartley and ***terall, but the backline should ring-in wholesale changes this year;

9. Care
10. Lamb
11. Simpson Daniel
12. Geherety/Flood
13. ???
14. Banahan
15. Cipriani

13 will be the problem. My natural instinct is to say Hipkiss, but 1. will he be fully fit? and 2. If so, will his form be good enough? Other options are Smith, Tindall and Noon, but that position is looking to be a very weak point at present. Anyone who suggests Tait as even a remotely good option for it is a raging Northern Communist.
[/b]
Tindall will be 1st choice and captain.

<div class='quotemain'>

9. Care
10. Lamb
11. Simpson Daniel
12. Geherety/Flood
13. ???
14. Banahan
15. Cipriani

[/b]
Tindall will be 1st choice and captain.
[/b][/quote]

Then god help us all. Tindall, i'm afraid, is past it. The only problem is who else to play there, and I think the only person who can possibly pull it off is Noon. Granted, he is far from internationally stunning, from a back line that I hope will be Care, Cipriani, Flood, Simpson Daniel, Strettle and Tait who else is there to offer a little international experience. The only other way I see it panning out is having Lewsey at full back and pulling in Flood at outside centre and Geraghty as inside centre. Outside centre is a tough position for english rugby at the moment though. I'm really trying to hesitate calling any team though. I'd be surprised if there won't be a relatively new look back line, but am so hesitant to make the calls. Cipriani, lamb (or even Barkley) at FH? Ellis or Care at Scrum Half, Balshaw or Lewsey at full back (joking!)

I think, in regards to the backs anyway, it is the first time there is going to be a slight selection headache for the England management.

Saxons is also important this year considering how many untried but promising players we have.

My England Squad for Summer (Saxons in Italic):

Props

A.Sheridan (Sale)
M.Stevens (Bath)
T.Payne (Wasps)
N.Wood (Gloucester)
D.Wilson (Newcastle)
D.Flatman (Bath)
A.Clarke (Bristol)
A.Croall (Harlequins)

Hookers

L.Mears (Bath)
D.Paice (London Irish)
G.Chuter (Leicester)
D.Hartley (Northampton)
A.***terell (Gloucester)
R.McMillan (Gloucester)

Locks

Steve Borthwick (Bath) CAPTAIN
Simon Shaw (Wasps)
Nick Kennedy (London Irish)
L.Deacon (Leicester)
T.Palmer (Wasps)
O.Kohn (Harlequins)
T.Ryder (Saracens)
C.Jones (Sale)

Back Row

J.Haskell (Wasps)
M.Lipman (Bath)
T.Croft (Leicester)
J.Crane (Leicester)
T.Rees (Wasps)
N.Easter (Harlequins)
L.Moody (Leicester)
M.Lund (Sale)
L.Narraway (Gloucester)
J.Forrester (Gloucester)
T.Guest (Harlequins)
D.Danaher (London Irish)

Scrum Halves

H.Ellis (Leicester)
D.Care (Harlequins)
R.Wigglesworth (Sale)
B.Foden (Sale)
P.Hodgson (London Irish)
P.Richards (London Irish)

Fly Halves

D.Cipriani (Wasps)
R.Lamb (Gloucester)
S.Geraghty (London Irish)
C.Hodgson (Sale)

Centres

O.Barkley (Bath)
M.Tindall (Gloucester)
A.Allen (Gloucester)
D.Hipkiss (Leicester)
D.Waldouck (Wasps)
J.Noon (Newcastle)
J.Adams (Gloucester)
J.Turner-Hall (Harlequins)

Wings

P.Sackey (Wasps)
D.Strettle (Harlequins)
J.Simpson-Daniel (Gloucester)
T.Varndell (Leicester)
T.Ojo (London Irish)
L.Vainikolo (Gloucester)
R.Haughton (Saracens)
M.Banahan (Bath)

Fullbacks

M.Tait (Newcastle)
M.Brown (Harlequins)
D.Armitage (London Irish)
O.Morgan (Gloucester)

lovely post ging, im with u on quite a few there. like to see banahan at test level, but i reckon varndell will sneek the call up. he's been class for the last few weeks and johnson is leicester through and through

Saxons is also important this year considering how many untried but promising players we have.

My England Squad for Summer (Saxons in Italic):

Props

A.Sheridan (Sale)
M.Stevens (Bath)
T.Payne (Wasps)
N.Wood (Gloucester)
D.Wilson (Newcastle)
D.Flatman (Bath)
A.Clarke (Bristol)
A.Croall (Harlequins)

Hookers

L.Mears (Bath)
D.Paice (London Irish)
G.Chuter (Leicester)
D.Hartley (Northampton)
A.***terell (Gloucester)
R.McMillan (Gloucester)

Locks

Steve Borthwick (Bath) CAPTAIN
Simon Shaw (Wasps)
Nick Kennedy (London Irish)
L.Deacon (Leicester)
T.Palmer (Wasps)
O.Kohn (Harlequins)
T.Ryder (Saracens)
C.Jones (Sale)

Back Row

J.Haskell (Wasps)
M.Lipman (Bath)
T.Croft (Leicester)
J.Crane (Leicester)
T.Rees (Wasps)
N.Easter (Harlequins)
L.Moody (Leicester)
M.Lund (Sale)
L.Narraway (Gloucester)
J.Forrester (Gloucester)
T.Guest (Harlequins)
D.Danaher (London Irish)

Scrum Halves

H.Ellis (Leicester)
D.Care (Harlequins)
R.Wigglesworth (Sale)
B.Foden (Sale)
P.Hodgson (London Irish)
P.Richards (London Irish)

Fly Halves

D.Cipriani (Wasps)
R.Lamb (Gloucester)
S.Geraghty (London Irish)
C.Hodgson (Sale)

Centres

O.Barkley (Bath)
M.Tindall (Gloucester)
A.Allen (Gloucester)
D.Hipkiss (Leicester)
D.Waldouck (Wasps)
J.Noon (Newcastle)
J.Adams (Gloucester)
J.Turner-Hall (Harlequins)

Wings

P.Sackey (Wasps)
D.Strettle (Harlequins)
J.Simpson-Daniel (Gloucester)
T.Varndell (Leicester)
T.Ojo (London Irish)
L.Vainikolo (Gloucester)
R.Haughton (Saracens)
M.Banahan (Bath)

Fullbacks

M.Tait (Newcastle)
M.Brown (Harlequins)
D.Armitage (London Irish)
O.Morgan (Gloucester)

[/b]

Your picking of Ross McMillan the fourth choice hooker from Glaws for the Saxons is plain daft. He is a decent prospect but has only featured once for the first team all season. I have watched quite a few 2nd team games and he hasnt really shone, WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why anyone would give Jack Adams a Saxons jersey is beyond me. From what I've seen he can't tackle for beans. Watched him get bumped off at both International 7's and NL1 levels. No point having a turnstile in the middle of the park.

Looking at some of these suggestions makes my mind fill with wonder. I would definitely reserve a space for Richard Haughton for the bench as he has at points during Saracen's loopy HEC campaign single handedly brought them back into contention. Slow, rumbling pack? Rest of the backs out of ideas? No problem! Just let Del Boy run around.

Still though, he should still be back up as there are other guys out there with claims to the 11 and 14 jerseys.

This tour should be about bringing our strongest squad and unlike those limousine and A-list celeb chasers down under, we in the NH know for a fact that our strongest team doesn't always have the biggest names.

We need the Browns, the Cares, the Geraghtys, the Hartleys, the Kennedys and the Haughtons (amongst others) to stand up and tell the world that Clive Woodwards legacy has finally come to an end and that Martin Johnson's era has begun...

(Sorry, on a WWE kick right now so I'm writing as though I'm the Rock speaking through a microphone in the squared circle.)

(Sorry, on a WWE kick right now so I'm writing as though I'm the Rock speaking through a microphone in the squared circle.)
[/b]

do you smell what the johnno is cooking?!!

Quick update thanks to Sky Sports rugby text message thing:

Borthwick is named captain. No one is surprised.

Deacon's injured so is out of the running.

Newbies for the squad: Topsy Ojo; Danny Care; Jason Hobson; Dylan Hartley; David Paice and Nick Kennedy.

And disappointingly for me...The man in my avatar, along with teammate Iain Balshaw are not included in the squad.

England squad

Backs: M Brown (Harlequins), P Sackey (Wasps), D Strettle (Harlequins), T Ojo (London Irish), M Tait (Newcastle), M Tindall (Gloucester), J Noon (Newcastle), T Flood (Newcastle), O Barkley (Bath), D Cipriani (Wasps), C Hodgson (Sale Sharks), R Wigglesworth (Sale Sharks), P Richards (London Irish), D Care (Harlequins).
Forwards: A Sheridan (Sale Sharks), T Payne (Wasps), M Stevens (Bath), J Hobson (Bristol), L Mears (Bath), D Hartley (Northampton), D Paice (London Irish), S Borthwick (Bath, capt), B Kay (Leicester), N Kennedy (London Irish), T Palmer (Wasps), T Croft (Leicester), J Haskell (Wasps), J Worsley (Wasps), M Lipman (Bath), T Rees (Wasps), N Easter (Harlequins), L Narraway (Gloucester).

Players not selected because of injury:
J Lewsey (Wasps), S Geraghty (London Irish), Harry Ellis (Leicester), Simon Shaw (Wasps), James Simpson-Daniel (Gloucester), J Wilkinson (Newcastle), Louis Deacon (Leicester), Phil Vickery (Wasps), Lewis Moody (Leicester).

England Saxons squad for Churchill Cup in USA and Canada:

Backs: N Abendanon (Bath), A Allen (Gloucester), M Banahan (Bath), L Dickson (Newcastle), B Foden (Sale Sharks), P Hodgson (London Irish), A Jarvis (Harlequins), R Lamb (Gloucester), U Monye (Harlequins), O Smith (Leicester), T Varndell (Leicester), D Waldouck (Wasps).
Forwards: S Armitage (London Irish), R Blaze (Leicester), A Brown (Gloucester), G Chuter (Leicester), A Clarke (Bristol), J Crane (Leicester), J Forster (Gloucester), T Guest (Harlequins), C Jones (Sale Sharks), N Lloyd (Saracens), C Robshaw (Harlequins), W Skinner (Harlequins, capt), G Skivington (Wasps), A ***terrell (Gloucester), R Webber (Wasps), D Wilson (Newcastle).

Just out of curiosity, what's the atmosphere like in the british media for this tour? Are they showing any confidence your boys could win against the All Blacks? Or have they already consigned you to failure?
And more importantly, what do you boys think?

Well, actually I'm quite surprised. I didn't think it would be this reasonable a squad. Disappointed that they couldn't make room for Jordan Crane or Richard Haughton in there. But, you've got to make compromises in order to win.

Its going to be great to see the likes of Hartley and MIIISSSEERRRR KEEENNEEEEEDDDDYYYY!!! tear into the All Blacks!

Just out of curiosity, what's the atmosphere like in the british media for this tour? Are they showing any confidence your boys could win against the All Blacks? Or have they already consigned you to failure?
And more importantly, what do you boys think? [/b]

Interestingly, nobody has really said anything either positive or negative other than "when Martin Johnson announces his squad for New Zealand...." and then they trail off, not knowing quite what to say.

The Brian Ashton Soap Opera at the RFU, the two English teams in the HEC semis, the eight-way battle for the GP playoffs and the ELV fiasco have all taken up the time usually alloted for the English hand wringing in the press.

Right now, the feeling here is "...bloody hell! Is it Summer Tours time already?!"

EDIT:

Forwards:N.Kennedy (London Irish)[/b]

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z9o2hfPKljw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z9o2hfPKljw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

(Imagine that William Regal is Richie McCaw... :D)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-qgc_Fm1weg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-qgc_Fm1weg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I'm quite happy with those squads.

I didn't realise quite how many people would be injured... Simpson f***ing Daniel AGAIN has his career held up.

They say they want Vainikolo to learn the game... I'd have thought a Saxons tour would be perfect for that. Oh well. Another GLARING omission is Richard Haughton. Ugo Monye is nothing on him. And Ollie Smith is a waste of space. Hmph.

Latest posts