RWC 11 or Sidhe Rugby Challenge ?

• RWC 2011 HB

Votes: 80 10.3%
  • Sidhe Rugby Challenge

Votes: 418 53.8%
  • Both

Votes: 279 35.9%

• Total voters
This thread has seemingly reached it's conclusion about the major differences between Rugby '08 and Rugby World Cup and is circling the same tired issues. It's certainly not producing anything constructive, a man has asked questions, been given answers and none of them make sense to him. Fair enough, it was worth a try (if he was genuinely trying to understand anything), but nothing is producing his needed answers or satisfying his interest in the issue. It's really a distraction from better threads.

If one of the other mods feels like closing it, go for it. :)

rugby challenge comes out in australia tomorrow so hopefully some trf aussie posters will be able to give their thoughts on how the two games compare to each other.

I meant that you're labeling the "TRF Crew" as being RWC fanboys (or at least inferring as much), when in reality each and every one of us is looking forward to BOTH games, and wants BOTH games to do well and be good
after all, we're all rugby and gaming fans too...

He's not inferring anything. You infer. He implies.

right, so I bought RC yesterday arvo and had a solid play with mate for about 2/3 hours. There are some really nice features in there that I thought made it more strategic and not a cop out. Although there were times playing it that i was hoping for a RWC/Rugby 08 feel.

Things that my mate and I thought were really cool.
-Scrums - they need you to flick up when the pendulum is in the middle and its fairly hard at first but once you get the rhythm down its a really smart idea
-super slow mo kicking in play, lining up for a punt/droppie has you holding the face buttons and then aiming with the L-stick in bullet time, i think the better the kicker the slower the animation...although my mate did somehow pull a droppie with BAlexander, which was ****
-the very visual rep of winning rucks
-realistic ball physics (im talking to you rugby 08)

the **** list
-Lineouts are plain stupid, there is no skill involved, besides getting the pendulum in the middle and whats worse is you cant initiate a maul from one...WTF!
-apparently you can drive the other scrum pack 5m with ease at times.
-****ing offloads ruin the game, it felt like a game of hot potato at times and excruciatingly annoying
-player positioning during rucks (namely backs) are not correct. I miss the set play formations
-lack of option in playing the ruck i.e quick pick-n-drive

overall id give Sidhes RC 6/10 for gameplay, this is purely gameplay rating aesthetics was not considered. The fact RWC11 plays like 08 has it over for in gameplay for me.

EDIT: OH and not being able to kill/hold the ball in tackle killed the gamesmanship of it. If both games were to have sex and have a kid and that kid had sex with Rugby 08...itd be the best Rugby game ever.

Last edited:
My brother said that in RC if you watch closely the backs run certain lines. The better your first five, the better he is at directing the attack. The better your backs are, the better lines they run.
I quite like that idea. I'm still waiting for my bloody copy to ship from the UK! Bugger.

got rugby challenge 2 days ago and i like the offloads, its SH footy!! keeping the ball alive i love it! in real life u can offload about anywhere its just if the pass lands where u want it. oh and when i play as fiji it actually looks like fiji! (talkin to u HB!!!:mad:).

My brother said that in RC if you watch closely the backs run certain lines. The better your first five, the better he is at directing the attack. The better your backs are, the better lines they run.
I quite like that idea. I'm still waiting for my bloody copy to ship from the UK! Bugger.
Why would you order it from the UK if you're in New Zealand :huh:
Might not be out here until mid/late next month

Why would you order it from the UK if you're in New Zealand :huh:
Might not be out here until mid/late next month

It's the bloody site I always use. Ozgameshop. They ship from the UK & I hadn't really thought about release dates when I pre-ordered it. I thought it was going to come out everywhere pretty much at the same time.

Yeah...just cancel pre order and buy from shop. Buy 2 and send one to me in blighty !!!

Played both and I think that when you compare certain aspects of each game RWC is the better of the two.

Lineouts: Hands down RWC wins this, pretty obvious really, more options. RC lineouts are pretty shocking, being able to move pods and angle the throw are the only positives.

Scrums: RWC again basically because they look and feel more realistic, you can hook the ball (which means you can contest on oppositions scrum),angle the scrum, drop it. Not to mention the number eight can run off the back all really basic things that RC have left out.

Passing: close call but again I'd give it to RWC. Easier to pick up therefore making it more fun for a wider range of gamer. Simple. I can see what RC is trying to do but for me it isn't as good. I can imagine non rugby people really disliking RC and getting frustrated with the passing.

Kicking: RC narrowly pretty much due to the slow mo which I think you either love or hate, RWC tends to have kicks that are too long. Both have a nice selection of kicks from chips to up n unders to drop goals.

Tackling: Pretty even, RC have the aggressive and normal tackle which I like. Tackles in RC also have a huge say in what team wins the ruck. RWC have the same sort of set up (but the aggressive tackle ends up in a penalty the majority of time) but they also have the 'man on' option which is ace. Overall I'd go with a draw.

Rucks/mauls: RWC wins. Alot more options, more realistic, faster, better. RC have done ok but where are the options!!! It's just not rugby.

Special moves (sidestepping, fend etc): I like RC set up a bit better (especially the sidestep). If only slightly. Dummy passes on RWC are a bit awkward, the rest is as per 08.

Goal kicking: I'd give it to RWC. More options here again with the power up then accuracy. RC get up is pretty quick, blink and you'll miss the marker.

Set plays: RWC have setplays and defensive patterns, more basics of rugby that RC havn't included. You can even determine what ruck support you want. Knockout victory to RWC. Really amatuer not to have these included in some form on RC.

So basically my opinion is that RWC is superior pretty much due to it 1) being the more realistic of the two 2)having more indepth gameplay 3)being easier to pick up and play.

I think once you see past RC flashy graphics, club licences, and out of game options you'll see RC for what it really is. A flashy game with plenty of out of game options and pretty little in terms of gameplay.

You havent really mentioned anything about Mulitplayer/Online where I think RC wins, purley because when playing a mate you cant really exploit the flaws in the defence like you can in RWC, and also Online RWC has been crap I have heard.

Yeah I'm a bit undecided about online. Played RC enough but not really RWC online so probably not too sure of what I like better yet, all I know is that gameplay v.s gameplay, offline, RWC is a better game IMO. I know RC's online isn't perfect but they atleast have leaderboards so almost based entirely on that I'd go with RC winning the online battle :D

Yeah I'm a bit undecided about online. Played RC enough but not really RWC online so probably not too sure of what I like better yet, all I know is that gameplay v.s gameplay, offline, RWC is a better game IMO. I know RC's online isn't perfect but they atleast have leaderboards so almost based entirely on that I'd go with RC winning the online battle :D

RC is superior. Played more than a few games on both, the lag is unfair on RWC at least it's more than manageable on RC.

Mine doesnt lag , literally 90% of my online games play just as smooth as offline, and my connection is only 15mbs .
i haven't played RC online or offline , BUT RWC shines soo brightly online in a smooth game against a decent player ,
in fact it shines so brightly in this area id be VERY surprised if RC was better after all Ive seen on youtube and all Ive heard about it .

I know for a fact that the ball constantly being offloaded so easily would drive me bloody nuts online, as would the constant knock on's and the many many many missed passes or so called passes that just get flung back 50 feet lol , and add to that the frame rate issues RC has AND the lack of tactics in so many areas, then i really cant imagine how it could possibly be better online .

RWC has tons of tactical options in all areas , plays VERY smooth online for the vast majority of the time and has an extremely good flow to the game.

Well i'm still 50/50 on which one is better.

to me they're both awesome!

each with their pro's and con's but both thoroughly enjoyable!!

Glitches or not, I'm having fun and getting my money worth.

it's amazing the different styles and approaches each game brings to Rugby.

RWC is more technical with more emphasis on set plays and flow.

RC is more open play and getting timing right.

both games gets a thumbs up from me!

Well i'm still 50/50 on which one is better.

to me they're both awesome!

each with their pro's and con's but both thoroughly enjoyable!!

Glitches or not, I'm having fun and getting my money worth.

it's amazing the different styles and approaches each game brings to Rugby.

RWC is more technical with more emphasis on set plays and flow.

RC is more open play and getting timing right.

both games gets a thumbs up from me!

I think a morph of the two would be the ultimate. The next additions should hopefully be a bit more in the middle of the two which would be insane.

Latest posts