• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Greatest Player You've Ever Seen

T

timmyhoran

The five best players I've ever seen play live in no particular order (sorry NH's but I've a SH bias).

1. Christian Cullen - Best ball runner I've ever seen Gease lightening and balanced.

2. Tim Horan - Strong, fast, skillful, awesome defence and try scoring machine.

3. Michael Jones Saw him play live. He was a freak. 10 years ahead of his time

4. Mark Ella - He was the greatest exponent of running rugby. Could make the opposition defence to what ever he wanted them to. He retired before he was 25, he could have been even better.

5. Martin Johnson - I hate England but he was awesome. Big, aggressive intimadating. I don't thinks its a coincedence England have slid down the rankings since he left.

Naas Botha, David Campese, John Kirwan for the SH, Serge Blanco, Jeremy Guscott, Gareth Edwards for the North

Jonah Lomu, Christian Cullen, Tana Umaga, Carlos Spencer and Andrew Mehrtens.

Cullen - slippery
Caucau - sheer pace and power
Lomu - umm Mike Catt... ummm entire French backline...
Campo - footwork to beat the best defender...
All could run the ball and beat anyone on their day...

Seen them with my own eyes in tests vs Pumas:

1 Serge Blanco
2 Hugo Porta
3 Marc Cecillion
4 (Cristhian Cullen (NZ u-21´s in 1995, Southern Hemisphere Tournament)
5 Zinzan Brooke
6 Andre Joubert

I can name others , like Phillipe Sella o Van der Westheuizen,or Richard Loe because South African 1993 team and France in the 87, or NZ 1991 were impressive teams

Growing up liked David Wilson, John Eales, Tim Horan, Ben Tune, Matt Burke, Toitai Kefu watching the 99 wc when I was 7. And after than when we won the tri nations and BC for a few years after. Theseadays fav player is probably Chris Latham.

I'll probably see HERNANDEZ :bleh!: and I've seen Mike CLAMP, a NZ winger 1986-1988.

1. Gavin Henson
2. Brian O'Driscoll
3. Shane Williams
4. James Hook
5. Jason Robinson

Mine would have to be Campo - having seen him play at club level to international level, he did so many things on the field which would make your heart leap into your mouth. Some bad, but on the whole totally magical.

I would have to say The Legendary, The Maestro, The King of Sevens, The Master, The Magician, The Wizard, The Michael Jordan of Sevens rugby......"Waisale Tikoisolomoni Serevi".

Serevi has captivated the world with his skills, balance and reading of the game that combine to lend him that crucial extra second in which to weave his intoxicating magic.

He has the ability to go from his own line, the ability to beat anyone from anywhere at anytime,†enthused Mark Thomas.

“He was so unpredictable to play against and with such staggering pace.†Say no more..

He has also represented Fiji in three Rugby World Cups in the 15-man game.

Serevi retired from International rugby after the 2003 Rugby World Cup, but was persuaded by Fiji to return for the 2005 Sevens World Cup. He placed an exclamation point on his career by leading Fiji to the ***le, making Fiji the first nation to win two Sevens World Cups. After this win, he was named player-coach of the national sevens side. As a coach who continues to play semi-regularly, he lifted the 2006 World Sevens Series championship trophy.

(Born 20 May 1968 in Suva, Fiji) is a Fijian rugby union footballer, noted for his skills in rugby sevens. However, he has also been capped 39 times for his country in the 15-man game.

waisaleserevi_rugbyheaven-portrait__200x286.jpg

image001.jpg

image007.jpg

image003.jpg

image005.jpg

....Serevi retired from International rugby after the 2003 Rugby World Cup, but was persuaded by Fiji to return for the 2005 Sevens World Cup. He placed an exclamation point on his career by leading Fiji to the ***le, making Fiji the first nation to win two Sevens World Cups. After this win, he was named player-coach of the national sevens side. As a coach who continues to play semi-regularly, he lifted the 2006 World Sevens Series championship trophy....
[/b]
Nice copy and paste from http://rugbyrobot.com/ :p

<div class='quotemain'>
....Serevi retired from International rugby after the 2003 Rugby World Cup, but was persuaded by Fiji to return for the 2005 Sevens World Cup. He placed an exclamation point on his career by leading Fiji to the ***le, making Fiji the first nation to win two Sevens World Cups. After this win, he was named player-coach of the national sevens side. As a coach who continues to play semi-regularly, he lifted the 2006 World Sevens Series championship trophy....
[/b]
Nice copy and paste from http://rugbyrobot.com/ :p
[/b][/quote]

LOL...LOL
why you gotta call me out like like that...

It was the easiest way to get my point across mate...plus I didnt copy and paste everything just some bits of it.

But I have a lot of video footage on Serevi from back in the 80's and early 90s when he was just amazing....i can do most of his moves in a real 15's game...It freezes the defense and distracts the other defenders...than I just pass and its try time.

For those players who I have watched live, it has to be those from the NPC or Super 12 tournaments:

1. Rupeni Caucau

2. Carlos Spencer

3. Joeli Vidiri

4. Jonah Lomu

5. Christian Cullen

Latest posts