• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Leinster thread

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
Not enough game time?
Has he not been one of our most used players this season? He's hardly getting less time than he deserves, a guaranteed spot in the 23 of an elite European team is about as good as it's ever going to get for him.

Has to be for money (if true, I'm skeptical he's get more elsewhere?, he's probably not second choice in any other province, maybe Connacht.
I'd guess if true it'd be abroad. He is very active in charity too and nice guy.
Only reason I see is he may have chance abroad but he doesn't strike me as a sulker so I'm sure if there is any truth in it then it is for a very fair reason

Has to be for money (if true, I'm skeptical he's get more elsewhere?, he's probably not second choice in any other province, maybe Connacht.

He'd be at least second choice in Ulster next season I'd say but yeah you'd have to think he'd be looking abroad if there's any truth to it.

21 new contracts.
https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/leinster-rugby-confirm-21-new-contracts/

Leinster Rugby – New Senior Contracts 2019/20:

1. Bryan Byrne, 41 Leinster Caps (LC), 12 Leinster Tries (T)
2. Jack Conan, 14 Ireland Caps (IC), 88 LC, 21 T
3. Max Deegan, 45 LC, 11 T
4. Scott Fardy, 39 Australia Caps, 43 LC, 9 T
5. Ciarán Frawley, 14 LC, 1 T
6. Jamison Gibson-Park, 70 LC, 15 T
7. Cian Healy, 2 British & Irish Lions Caps (BIL), 88 IC, 2017 LC, 22 T
8. Robbie Henshaw, 4 BIL, 37 IC, 36 LC, 7 T
9. Dave Kearney, 17 IC, 136 LC, 29 T
10. Hugo Keenan, 5 LC, 1 T
11. Cian Kelleher, 7 LC, 1 T
12. Rónan Kelleher, 2 LC
13. Dan Leavy, 11 IC, 63 LC, 16 T
14. Fergus McFadden, 34 IC, 178 LC, 27 T
15. Luke McGrath, 10 IC, 112 LC, 29 T
16. Josh Murphy, 21 LC, 1 T
17. Conor O'Brien, 17 LC, 6 T
18. Jimmy O'Brien, 7 LC, 3 T
19. Hugh O'Sullivan, 14 LC
20. Scott Penny, 6 LC, 2 T
21. Johnny Sexton, 14 BIL, 83 IC, 159 LC, 25 T

Academy Players Promoted to Senior Squad;

1. Ciarán Frawley
2. Hugo Keenan
3. Rónan Kelleher
4. Conor O'Brien
5. Jimmy O'Brien
6. Hugh O'Sullivan
7. Scott Penny

Leinster Rugby – Departees 2018/19:

1. Tom Daly, 12 LC, 2 T
2. Mick Kearney, 51 LC, 1 T
3. Nick McCarthy, 35 LC, 4 T
4. Jack McGrath, 7 BIL, 54 IC, 145 LC, 12 T
5. Ian Nagle, 19 LC
6. Seán O'Brien, 11 BIL, 56 IC, 126 LC, 20 T
7. Noel Reid, 1 IC, 121 LC, 17 Tries

Nothing about Robnoxious either way. I'd say that's Sexton signed up to the Lions when he plans to retire.

Lot of players it's good to have confirmation as staying.

Last edited:
I'd guess if true it'd be abroad. He is very active in charity too and nice guy.
Only reason I see is he may have chance abroad but he doesn't strike me as a sulker so I'm sure if there is any truth in it then it is for a very fair reason
I'd be sad to lose him, he's a good squad player, rarely if ever injured and as you say always seems to be involved whenever there are any charity events. Could well be offered a chance to be a starter abroad and of that's what he thinks is best for his career then that's fair enough, he'll probably be overtaken by younger hookers over the next few years, although with Cronin winding down over the next few years he'd still be in the mix for the 23 for a while yet. Maybe he thinks he's achieved every he will in Ireland and wants to play somewhere else which is fair enough I suppose. I'd prefer if he stayed overall.

I'd be sad to lose him, he's a good squad player, rarely if ever injured and as you say always seems to be involved whenever there are any charity events. Could well be offered a chance to be a starter abroad and of that's what he thinks is best for his career then that's fair enough, he'll probably be overtaken by younger hookers over the next few years, although with Cronin winding down over the next few years he'd still be in the mix for the 23 for a while yet. Maybe he thinks he's achieved every he will in Ireland and wants to play somewhere else which is fair enough I suppose. I'd prefer if he stayed overall.
True and being honest being a squad player in say France is alot more financially beneficial than an average provincal contract. But for some reason he strikes me as a lad who will get out of game young enough and succeed in other avenues of life too.
And I must say I rate him as a decent hooker

True and being honest being a squad player in say France is alot more financially beneficial than an average provincal contract. But for some reason he strikes me as a lad who will get out of game young enough and succeed in other avenues of life too.
And I must say I rate him as a decent hooker
He's definitely a good hooker, usually good for one or two missthrows a game but rarely misses more than that. Good work rate around the park and very physical in contact. Strong in the scrum as well, definitely the best hooker at Leinster right now in that area. Wouldn't blame him if he went for a decent payday in France because he's probably not getting paid a huge amount.

Like he's played in two European finals (and won one), played in a decent number of big Pro14/European Cup games and won 5 Ireland caps, he's done quote well for himself given that he'll never be top level. If he thinks he's achieved all that he's likely to achieve in Ireland and wants to go to somewhere else that's very understandable.

That's a good summation @Leinster Fan. He's a solid pro who has carved out an excellent career at Leinster and exceeded expectations by being capped multiple times by Ireland. If James Tracy is given an offer he can't refuse elsewhere, he's right to take advantage of it.

Exactly and to be fair Leinster have used him well. And he has had success. Possibly he is a smart guy and knows he has a ceiling and possibly sees guys behind him and maybe said this is time to cash in.
Again as I said he strikes me as a smart guy who will be out of rugby early

So whats the tae leaves in Dublin saying on Robnoxious?

Pretty sure the IRFU are not going to offer him a central deal - will a provincial one ever leave him happy, or will he seek to head to France? (or would Deccie have him in London town?)

Pretty sure the IRFU are not going to offer him a central deal - will a provincial one ever leave him happy, or will he seek to head to France? (or would Deccie have him in London town?)
Can't see him accepting a provincial deal. Realistically the IRFU won't pay him what he wants and Leinster can't afford to. It sounds like there's a fairly massive gap between the two parties, if I had to guess I'd say tomorrow is likely to be his last game for Leinster.

Big payday in France coming up unless Kidney goes for him (wouldn't surprise me at all) in which case big payday in London. He deserves it anyway.

Can't see him accepting a provincial deal. Realistically the IRFU won't pay him what he wants and Leinster can't afford to. It sounds like there's a fairly massive gap between the two parties, if I had to guess I'd say tomorrow is likely to be his last game for Leinster.

Big payday in France coming up unless Kidney goes for him (wouldn't surprise me at all) in which case big payday in London. He deserves it anyway.

If somebody else offers him a shitload more money, he should take it. He turns 34 next season and has been injury prone so he wouldn't represent value for money for Ireland. I can understand Leinster wanting to keep him but like Sean O'Brien, he'll be too expensive to keep given the number of games he'll play. Back Jordan Larmour at 15 where he's gained plenty of experience and continue developing Jimmy O'Brien there.

If Joey Carbery is his replacement for Ireland I'll cry.

If somebody else offers him a shitload more money, he should take it. He turns 34 next season and has been injury prone so he wouldn't represent value for money for Ireland. I can understand Leinster wanting to keep him but like Sean O'Brien, he'll be too expensive to keep given the number of games he'll play. Back Jordan Larmour at 15 where he's gained plenty of experience and continue developing Jimmy O'Brien there.

If Joey Carbery is his replacement for Ireland I'll cry.
I doubt Joey would be his replacement as he moved from Leinster to be a 10 and IRFU wanted him to move to be a 10.
If Larmour is to be a 15 he really needs to play there as his positioning there is very poor at times.
Whoever is at 15 needs to play there very often as no player in Ireland outside Kearney probably has the positional game for 15. And the best 2 in that area are Conway and Haley in positional sense but they are not perfect there either.

Rumours are that no French club has money on the table for him though. It was his agent who made some comments and Nucifora seemed to have called the agents bluff.

Carbery is a better 15 than Larmour....
100%.

Larmour is best on the wing. I'm yet to see anything from any of the alternatives to convince me they'd be a better 15 than Carbery. We don't need him at 10, I'd take 10. Byrne 14. Larmour 15. Carbery over 10. Carbery 15. Larmour 14. Whoever, any day.

100%.

Larmour is best on the wing. I'm yet to see anything from any of the alternatives to convince me they'd be a better 15 than Carbery. We don't need him at 10, I'd take 10. Byrne 14. Larmour 15. Carbery over 10. Carbery 15. Larmour 14. Whoever, any day.
As I said though it won't happen or if it does Joey will need to revert to there.
Whoever plays 15 needs consistency there as none of our lads are good positionally there. And Joey is lined up as Sextons replacement.

As I said though it won't happen or if it does Joey will need to revert to there.
Whoever plays 15 needs consistency there as none of our lads are good positionally there. And Joey is lined up as Sextons replacement.
I know that Joey is lined up at 10 and that Larmour is probably considered the long-term fullback, don't really agree with it though.

To be fair to Larmour he's been decent at 15 when needed for Leinster this season, by my count he played 5 European games for Leinster there this season and rarely looked out of place which is really impressive from a 21 year old.

If Kearney leaves he'll almost certainly be Leinster's 15 next season (no alternatives really) so we'll see how he gets on. We'll see what the situation is but for Leinster it'll be Larmour and then no one, for Ireland it'll be interesting to see who replaces him, no one else has any experience there, if Joey isn't in consideration Larmour would be my preferred option. And like you say Joey would have to play 15 for Munster on a semi-regular basis and that won't happen.

And as I've said before if it comes down to it in a big game I'd take Byrne over Carbery.

I know that Joey is lined up at 10 and that Larmour is probably considered the long-term fullback, don't really agree with it though.

To be fair to Larmour he's been decent at 15 when needed for Leinster this season, by my count he played 5 European games for Leinster there this season and rarely looked out of place which is really impressive from a 21 year old.

If Kearney leaves he'll almost certainly be Leinster's 15 next season (no alternatives really) so we'll see how he gets on. We'll see what the situation is but for Leinster it'll be Larmour and then no one, for Ireland it'll be interesting to see who replaces him, no one else has any experience there, if Joey isn't in consideration Larmour would be my preferred option. And like you say Joey would have to play 15 for Munster on a semi-regular basis and that won't happen.

And as I've said before if it comes down to it in a big game I'd take Byrne over Carbery.
I get what you're saying and can understand it. And Larmour hasn't been shamed at 15 but even last week against us his positional sense was poor at times. And that isn't a hammering. Because the positional sense is only picked up really by playing there consistently.
Same goes for Joey and look even alot say Conway should be 15 also. But again playing on the wing and at 15 are massively different. Haley is probably the best option from a positional sense. And that is due to he has played 15 exclusively.
The dark horse for me is Stockdale as he looked to have huge potential there.

Latest posts