• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Leinster thread

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
http://www.the42.ie/leinster-injury-update-luke-mcgrath-3860138-Feb2018/

Leo Cullen's side face into a six-day turnaround ahead of the visit of the South African side to the RDS on Friday [KO 7.35pm, TG4] and are likely to be without Rory O'Loughlin and Ross Byrne who both picked up injuries in the win over Scarlets.
Also from the same article, Garry Ringrose is training with Leinster and not Ireland today. Luke McGrath is expected back before the quarter final.

I expect Ringrose to come in for Rory O'Loughlin. 10 could be interesting. Ciaran Frawley looks likely to start. Could Harry Byrne come onto the bench?

Could see a team something like this:

Nacewa, Byrne, Ringrose, Reid, Lowe/Daly, Frawley, Gibson Park; Dooley, Strauss, Bent, Molony, Nagle/Fardy, Murphy, Connors, Deegan.

LUKE MCGRATH IS unlikely to feature again during Ireland's Six Nations campaign, but Leinster are confident the scrum-half will be fit for their Champions Cup quarter-final against Saracens on 1 April.

Thank God!

Aye, Ringrose needs to run with Ster Monday or else I imagine Lanc wouldn't want him playing, Schmidt seems to require players to train from Tuesday onwards to be considered but I reckon he'll be in for the hammering of the Kings.

Eddie O'Sullivan saying on Against the Head that Leinster are blocking young players coming through by needlessly signing James Lowe. The mind boggles. Adam Byrne and Jordan Larmour have made their international debuts in the last three months. Barry Daly was called up to the international squad for the first time.

I wonder did Scott Fardy deny James Ryan opportunities too?

Eddie O'Sullivan saying on Against the Head that Leinster are blocking young players coming through by needlessly signing James Lowe. The mind boggles. Adam Byrne and Jordan Larmour have made their international debuts in the last three months. Barry Daly was called up to the international squad for the first time.

I wonder did Scott Fardy deny James Ryan opportunities too?
To be fair, all of the players who get plenty of minutes within the rotation when fit and are getting capped at a low age at an unprecedented rate within Irish pro setups show just how badly the team who provide over 50% of the average Irish match day suad are ******* everything up for rugby in this country... This journeyman who surely won't be part of an insanely strong Irish back three for the 2023 RWC should be cut!

New on here and first post but something that may be of interest that I've done recently. A breakdown of starts made by each player by position this season as well as their age at the start of the season.

I will admit to not knowing much in terms of the academy and schools/clubs but from this, all positions bar hooker have young players getting loads of gametime and starts and I cant see James Tracy becoming the number 2 Leinster need once Cronin and Strauss regress and/or retire.

Attachments

• 17.18squad.png
    17.18squad.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 8
New on here and first post but something that may be of interest that I've done recently. A breakdown of starts made by each player by position this season as well as their age at the start of the season.

I will admit to not knowing much in terms of the academy and schools/clubs but from this, all positions bar hooker have young players getting loads of gametime and starts and I cant see James Tracy becoming the number 2 Leinster need once Cronin and Strauss regress and/or retire.
Great breakdown.

Highlights where there's strengths in the squad and where Leinster need to look to bring players in for the medium term.

Depth at fullback and centre and another second row seem like the main areas of concern for me.

Great job and you're right in that hooker is the main position of concern in both the short and long term followed by scrumhalf, centre and second row. Our three first choice hookers are from Munster originally (Cronin), South African (Strauss) or a converted prop (Tracy). There isn't really a standout player coming through right now off the top of my head. (I could be forgetting somebody.)

It's great that we're producing so much talent but it's massively focuses on a few positions. We have an endless list of backrows along with outhalfs, wingers and props to a lesser extent. Obviously massive credit should be given to whoever works with academy players in those positions but at the same time I wonder if there's a structural problem where the most talented players in schools/clubs end up in the same positions.

Has there been any word on Luke McGrath's fitness? He'll be huge for us against Sarries.

The difference between: 9. McGrath 10. Sexton 11. Larmour 12. Nacewa 13. Ringrose 14. Lowe 15. Kearney 21. McCarthey 22. Carbery 23. McFadden
And: 9. Gibson Park 10. Sexton 11. Larmour 12. Nacewa 13. Ringrose 14. McFadden 15. Kearney 21. McCarthey 22. Carbery 23. Daly
is significant.

Sarries could very well be our toughest challenge this season, I don't see us losing with the first backline but you lose a lot at 9 and in the back three without Lukey and Lowe.

There was an article saying that he expected to be back for Saracens a few days ago. We need him a lot to be honest.

Nick McCarthy was put in the European squad. Could be either good or bas news for McGrath.

That's why it could be good news. If they need him because of doubts about McGrath s fitness it's obviously bad news.
Well Cullen did say he was in due to foreign issue. So that was the original reason he was in and that was happening regardless of Luke fitness. Now the issue is will he be required to play

I think McCarthy could arguably be picked ahead of JGP on form as well as due to the foreigner rule. He'll be wearing 21 regardless of whether or not McGrath makes it. Rock was added to the squad if McGrath doesn't get back and one of the other two gets injured.

Most of the team picks itself to be honest. The main questions are who'll join Fardy in the second row (probably Toner as he's gone with him all season), who are the flankers, Leavy and Jordi are the last men standing at the moment but SOB could play if he gets time v the Ospreys and Ruddock has been added to the squad as well although that's presumably with a view to the semis. He's back way ahead of schedule either way which is great. The back three could be anybody but will probably be Kearney, Lowe and Larmour. Don't think Daly or anyone else not in the Ireland squad did enough to force their way in. Some interesting calls on the bench as well. First time we'll be seeing a first XV since mid-December so it'll say a lot about where the squad stands in relation to each other.

Wildcard selection could be for Scott Fardy to play 6 allowing Devin Toner and James Ryan partner up in the second row. It's a brilliant position to be in to have so many options.

Wildcard selection could be for Scott Fardy to play 6 allowing Devin Toner and James Ryan partner up in the second row. It's a brilliant position to be in to have so many options.
If we're allowed to do that I'd jump on it, not sure if Fardy is allowed to play there by the IRFU though. Leavy and Conan with Jordi and Deegan on the bench would be devastating.

Latest posts