• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Lions squad for 2021 prediction

Wouldn't be surprised to see Gatland go with:
Lock: AWJ + one of Ryan/Gray/Henderson
6: Beirne or Itoje
7: Curry or Watson
8: Faletau

Also wouldn't be overly surprised at a 6/2 bench split

Think they'll load the pack and bench with big boys to try and counterract "the bomb squad" (or what remains of it after injury has taken it's toll)
That's if we go for the bomb squad again.

Possibility is there that teams will now overfocus on the bomb squad, and slip on other issues, and there might then be a plan to have more nippy backline players on the bench to try and sidestep their way to the try line in the second half.

That's if we go for the bomb squad again.

Possibility is there that teams will now overfocus on the bomb squad, and slip on other issues, and there might then be a plan to have more nippy backline players on the bench to try and sidestep their way to the try line in the second half.
Don't disagree with you, but it's Gatland and his boys - all they've ever cared about at international level is trucking it up the middle

We could have the 'penalties squad' on the bench with Mako, George, Itoje, Billy, Young's, Farrell and May who come on and just concede tons of penalties.

Just a thought.

Thoughts on the Lions shirt? Canterbury this time making it and Vodafone as sponsor. Otherwise looks pretty standard shirt. Not too horrific, nor too wow gotta have it.

Canterbury made the 2017 one.

I wish they would return to having the white stripes down the arm and a more pronounced white collar. Otherwise it's a standard jersey without too much change

Oh yeah, so only real change is Vodafone replacing Standard Life investments sponsor. And of course change to the collar.

Canterbury made the 2017 one.

I wish they would return to having the white stripes down the arm and a more pronounced white collar. Otherwise it's a standard jersey without too much change
IIRC, the white stripes were Adidas' branding. Canterbury weren't going to do a couple of stripes.

I get strong Manchester United vibes from it

eng_pl_2004-06-MANCHESTER-UNITED-SHIRT-M-39783_5.jpg

I do like the polo shirt version. Still a bit cha-ching at £65 and less reminiscent of a football shirt with the collar. Also, no Vodafone logo, so you're not a walking advertising board for them.
And not an eye watering 95 quid....for a T-Shirt.

The price increase for replica shirts in recent year has been ridiculous has to be something like 200% they certainly use to cost in region of 30-40 quid.

And not an eye watering 95 quid....for a T-Shirt.

The price increase for replica shirts in recent year has been ridiculous has to be something like 200% they certainly use to cost in region of 30-40 quid.

Still got my Lions polo shirt from 4 years ago from NZ tour. It's held up well despite being washed numerous times. Don't recall how much it was. Probably £50

I bought a couple of polo shirts form sports direct and they were binned after a year or so. Cheap only £20 each. But bad quality. You get what you pay for.

My England 2015 RWC shirt alas ended up in the charity shop. Too many bad memories and it was an awful shirt with an awful color. And that cost me £70.

Don't think AWJ has regularly been the lineout caller for Wales. Beard calls when he plays, Charteris and Ianto were almoat certainly the callers when they played too. Not sure who calls when it's AWJ and Ball in the boiler room together as neither are great jumpers.

Fair enough, the stats always seem to jump around for a while after a tournament ends. Pretty sure it was the six nations official stats I was looking at too and AWJ was ahead in both number of carries and m/carry, even when considering Beirne. Starting to wonder if it was prior to the last round though now (with France/Scotland having a game in hand too.

Personally I'd be starting Beirne at lock with maybe a dual openside arrangement in the backrow. I don't think we'll beat SA at their own game, so would be looking to move their big pack around. Can understand the argument of having to match them physically too, and Beirne at 6 works well in that regard.
Prior to the boks picking up injuries to key players I would have said the way you beat them is by using your strength of experience, superior organisation, and focusing on being clinical. While this is still true, focusing on moving their big pack around, and choosing the team that suits that style, may indeed help.

but If you were to play the springboks team from the World Cup, minus the beast, you'd have difficulty outmuscling them and you'd have difficulty running them off their feet, whatever team you chose. You'd only be able to match them in one dimension and then you'd be worse off in the other. Fortunately for you the two star players from that team that have both the fitness and the physicality - psdt and lood de jager - will likely be unavailable for the boks. This will make an absolutely massive difference, snyman being out just adds insult to injury for the boks - a big fast dynamic player who doesn't need to be super fit as he comes off the bench.

Gutted for North if he does miss out. Was a nailed on starter really.

We'll probably see J.Davies outside Henshaw now I'd imagine.

Yeah, that is a big shame - North was arguably the form 13 in the 6N (Harris running him close) and definitely should have been touring if not starting
Definitely relieved that it's a leg injury though - he's had far too many traumatic brain injuries in his career already

I don't think JD2 looked particularly good in the 6N, and was awful vs Sale for Scarlets - I know that he has credit in the bank, and on his day is a superb player (and also he's a proud Brummie), but I'd hope Harris is in serious contention because he's been in excellent form recently

JD2 was not very good again yesterday against the Dragons. He was up against a Dragons midfield of a 12 who is 20 and has played 10 pro games and a 13 who is actually a winger but was comfortable 2nd rate to the dragons pair.
I wouldn't have picked him in the 6 nations for Wales, let alone taking him on a lions tour, he really is struggling to get back up to speed since the WC. I know there weren't loads of centres who shone in the 6 nations but there was plenty better than Davies.

JD2 was not very good again yesterday against the Dragons. He was up against a Dragons midfield of a 12 who is 20 and has played 10 pro games and a 13 who is actually a winger but was comfortable 2nd rate to the dragons pair.
I wouldn't have picked him in the 6 nations for Wales, let alone taking him on a lions tour, he really is struggling to get back up to speed since the WC. I know there weren't loads of centres who shone in the 6 nations but there was plenty better than Davies.
It's hard to disagree with this but Gatland has his favourites doesn't he. He'll look at that Wales/France game and think Foxy can do a job. If North is out I'll be surprised if he doesn't go with Davies.

Latest posts