• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Lions squad for 2021 prediction

Agree on all of the above.

Itoje was the youngest Lions tourist at 22. There aren't going to be many players who are 18 now that are going to be established enough to be among the best in their position in four years time.

As Goodey has said players like Mercer or Isiekwe or the Curry twins could potentially come to the fore, but I think that will only be a handful of exceptional cases.

In reality, the 2017 squad was fairly young so we'll probably see a lot of them returning with another four years and 30-40 caps' worth of experience.

The 'new' players aren't likely to be unknown to us now, but are probably just hitting their stride - I'm thinking such as Ringrose or Leavy or Huw Jones.

What will also be interesting is how much of a 'last hurrah' the World Cup may be for players that have been fixtures in their teams for years. The likes Robshaw or AWJ or SOB aren't going to be around anymore which will definitely mean changes in a lot of the NH teams post 2019.
Quite glad I didn't pick a team looking at some of the suggestions from 2017!

Quite shocking how some players have gone from fairly obvious contenders to (probably) no chance in 3yrs - I'm thinking the likes of Jack McGrath or Huw Jones.

Hard to vehemently disagree with any of that to be honest. The Scots will rightly be up in arms about Hogg not being included but from what I've seen he hasn't looked very good this autumn. Of course, you could say that about a lot of these players though (Farrell especially).

I feel this is maybe one too far for Healy, I'd probably look to Sutherland instead. AWJ goes for me but without expecting him to be in the test squad. I hope Youngs does go, but mainly because I want Jones to be forced to give other scrum halves a go in the England summer tour! I'm not convinced by Aki, but I don't know who else would fulfill the bosher role if Tuilagi is not fit - and lets remember this is Gatland so there will be a bosher in the centres.

I do wonder if Stuart will sneak his way in - from all accounts he is ferocious in the scrum. If England were playing SA tomorrow I'd have him starting with Sinckler on the bench.

Overall, i'd be pretty content with that touring party. Decent representation from all 4 nations too.

Funny that Curry was the one he questioned in a proposed Lions side containing 'Denny Solomon' (sic).

Quite glad I didn't pick a team looking at some of the suggestions from 2017!

Quite shocking how some players have gone from fairly obvious contenders to (probably) no chance in 3yrs - I'm thinking the likes of Jack McGrath or Huw Jones.
TBF some of these are players who were basically 1 season wonders that people got very excited about but couldn't back it up.

Maybe? Thoughts?

1 Rory Sutherlund
2 Jaime George
3 Kyle Sinckler
4 Maro itoje (captain)
5 James Ryan
6 Tom Curry
7 Justin Tipuric
8 Sam Simmonds (First Non-International since Alun Lewis maybe?)
9 Ali Price
10 Finn Russell
11 Josh Adams or James Lowe
12 Owen Farrell
13 Garry Ringrose
14 Antony Watson
15 Stuart Hogg

Sub's
16 Ken Owens
17 Mako Vunipola
18 Tadgh Furlongh
19 Johnny Gray
20 Taulupe Faletau or Josh Navidi
21 Ben Youngs
22 Henry Slade
23 George North

Last edited:
1 Rory sutherlund
2 Jaime George
3 Furlong
4 Maro itoje
5 James Ryan
6 Tom Curry
7 Sam Underhill
8 Faletau or Simmonds
9 Ali Price
10 Finn Russell
11 Reece zammit
12 Owen Farrell
13 North
14 Antony Watson
15 Stuart Hogg

1 Rory sutherlund
2 Jaime George
3 Furlong
4 Maro itoje
5 James Ryan
6 Tom Curry
7 Sam Underhill
8 Faletau or Simmonds
9 Ali Price
10 Finn Russell
11 Reece zammit
12 Owen Farrell
13 North
14 Antony Watson
15 Stuart Hogg
Maybe? Thoughts?

1 Rory Sutherlund
2 Jaime George
3 Kyle Sinckler
4 Maro itoje (captain)
5 James Ryan
6 Tom Curry
7 Justin Tipuric
8 Sam Simmonds (First Non-International since Alun Lewis maybe?)
9 Ali Price
10 Finn Russell
11 Josh Adams or James Lowe
12 Owen Farrell
13 Garry Ringrose
14 Antony Watson
15 Stuart Hogg

Sub's
16 Ken Owens
17 Mako Vunipola
18 Tadgh Furlongh
19 Johnny Gray
20 Taulupe Faletau or Josh Navidi
21 Ben Youngs
22 Henry Slade
23 George North
Not to be too biased but both those teams only have 2 irish and we are the second best Lions nation in the 6 nations. I'm not saying we are world beaters but there's a lot of English and Scottish in those teams including a guy who has never played international rugby. I could be wrong bit I'm willing to bet both of you are England fans and maybe not up to speed with in form irish/welsh players. Maybe as due to lack of European rugby this year.

Not to be too biased but both those teams only have 2 irish and we are the second best Lions nation in the 6 nations. I'm not saying we are world beaters but there's a lot of English and Scottish in those teams including a guy who has never played international rugby. I could be wrong bit I'm willing to bet both of you are England fans and maybe not up to speed with in form irish/welsh players. Maybe as due to lack of European rugby this year.
Ur right can name about about 5 players in the starting Ireland XV and 10 in Wales XV and about 5 in Scotland XV. Mine is more of a favorite players of 6 Nations rather then a lions tour prediction, there will defiantly be way more ireland, wales and Scottish players in the lions tour compared to what was said post world Cup.
I think Sam Simmonds also has like 12 caps for England or something, he should honestly start for England but you know Eddie, would love to see him get the recognition he deserves and go on the lions tour. This is from a quins fans who has lost to Exeter both times this season already

The 6N has made this a really difficult selection with very few clear cut selections. But I've had a chat with Warren and he tells me.....

1. Marler
2. Owens. Seems to be a glue player who brings something to a team. George and LCD are 'better' players.
3. Furlong
4. AWJ. He's captain, get over it.
5. Ryan (Unfortunately Kruis said he's happy in Japan)
6. Beirne
7. Underhill
8. Faletau
9. Murray. Just, with a squadron of Welshmen snapping at his heels.
10. Sexton. If we want control and goal kicking he's the man.
11. Adams
12. Henshaw
13. Tuilagi
14. Watson
15. Hogg. There has to be one Scot. V harsh on Williams.

Okay, let's have a go at a squad based on the 6Ns. (Not who I think Gatland will pick) I'm going to choose based on form and how I think players performed. Reputation will probably only come into it if I can't decide between 2 players on form.

Front row: By my own admission this is the area I struggle with the most, they all look the same in a scrum.
1: Wyn Jones, Sutherland, Healy
2: Owens, LCD, (Honestly not sure about 3rd, **** it let's just go with George)
3: Sinckler, Furlong, Francis

Locks:
4&5: Itoje, Ryan, Henderson, Beirne, Gray

Back Row:
6: Stander, Ritchie, Tipuric
7: Curry, Watson, Navidi
8: Doris, Faletau

Half backs:
9: Williams, Price, Hardy
10: Russell, Biggar, Sheedy

Centres:
12: Henshaw, (Struggling here, so Redpath and Davies, Johnson was on my list too)
13:Ringrose, Slade, North

Wings:
Watson, Van der Merwe, LRZ, May

FB:
Keenan, Hogg, Williams

So total up
Welsh: 14
Irish: 10
Scottish: 9
English: 8

So I've had a go at picking my lions squad - mixture of six nations form and experience. The squad is 37 players, based on the Gatland interview last year saying the squad will most likely be 36/37.

Loose heads:

Cian Healy

Rory Sutherland

Wyn Jones

Hookers:

Jamie George

Luke Cowan Dickie

Ken Owens

Tight Heads:

Kyle Sinckler

Tadgh Furlong

Andrew Porter

Second Rows:

Maro Itoje

Iain Henderson

Tadgh Beirne

James Ryan

Alun Wyn Jones

Back row:

CJ Stander

Hamish Watson

Talupe Faletau

Justin Tipuric

Tom Curry

Sam Simmonds

Josh Navidi

Scrum Halves:

Connor Murray

Tomos Williams

Gareth Davies

Fly Halves:

Owen Farrell

Finn Russell

Jonny Sexton

Centres:

George North

Jonathon Davies

Huw Jones

Robbie Henshaw

Back 3:

Louis Rees Zammit

Anthony Watson

Jonny May

Josh Adams

Liam Williams

Stuart Hogg

So I've had a go at picking my lions squad - mixture of six nations form and experience. The squad is 37 players, based on the Gatland interview last year saying the squad will most likely be 36/37.

Loose heads:

Cian Healy

Rory Sutherland

Wyn Jones

Hookers:

Jamie George

Luke Cowan Dickie

Ken Owens

Tight Heads:

Kyle Sinckler

Tadgh Furlong

Andrew Porter

Second Rows:

Maro Itoje

Iain Henderson

Tadgh Beirne

James Ryan

Alun Wyn Jones

Back row:

CJ Stander

Hamish Watson

Talupe Faletau

Justin Tipuric

Tom Curry

Sam Simmonds

Josh Navidi

Scrum Halves:

Connor Murray

Tomos Williams

Gareth Davies

Fly Halves:

Owen Farrell

Finn Russell

Jonny Sexton

Centres:

George North

Jonathon Davies

Huw Jones

Robbie Henshaw

Back 3:

Louis Rees Zammit

Anthony Watson

Jonny May

Josh Adams

Liam Williams

Stuart Hogg
So just going to follow up on this with my reasoning for each position. Bit of a long post but always enjoy the lions squad debate.

Front row: Mako's lack of form makes it hard to justify his inclusion. There is still a strong likelihood he will tour as Gatland has worked with him before. But, Wyn Jones is the form loose head and Sutherland and Healy have both been consistent performers. All 3 are reliable scrummagers. The 3 hookers have been the obvious choices for the last year and not much has changed. George finding some form would be handy though. Furlong and Sinckler again nailed on to go. The third tight head is a bit up in the air. Porter has looked assured each time I've seen him play for Ireland, but that spot could easily go to Francis or Faegerson.

Locks: Itoje and Ryan nailed on to go, as is Alun Wyn Jones as the obvious choice to be tour captain. Beirne has probably been the player or the tournament so has to go and probably start a test match. It's easier to include him as a lock rather than as a back row. I'd have liked to include Jonny Gray in the final spot but he just hasn't dominated games enough this tournament. Henderson really flies under the radar but is one of Ireland's best players - powerful in the loose and destructive in the maul.

Back row: Curry, Tipuric and Watson - all outstanding players, and although that is three 7s, you can't not pick all three. Stander and Navidi are both in good form and offer a very athletic, combative option at 6 and can also cover at 8. Faletau guaranteed to tour and the best 8 in the home nations. Simmonds imo will tour. Gatland seems interested, and has a similar offering to Faletau in the loose off the base of scrum and is a jumper. Bang in form and would suit the lions team and every tour needs a bolter. Vunipola has looked poor this tournament and is his carrying needed when the lions would have Watson, Stander, Beirne etc?

Scrum half: Hardest position to predict. Murray's game against England booked his spot as the experienced option, to the detriment of Ben Youngs. The other spots I've gone for the two Welsh boys, two good players in their own right and offer more control than Ali Price. But who knows here!

Fly half: Still think Farrell will be hard to leave out - trusted by Gatland on two previous tours and tends to thrive in a Lions environment. However, I doubt he'll be the starting 10. That's likely to be Sexton who looked back to his best this 6 nations and is a strong captaincy contender. I've picked Russell to offer something different and his form over the last few years means he deserves it. Hard to leave out Biggar though so wouldn't be surprised if he goes. Ford, may be a tidy player but is not a lion for me.

Centres: After 9, the hardest position to predict. Henshaw has been the stand out, and is the test 12 in my book. North has been the stand out 13 - experienced, versatile and a trusted Gatland player. Jon Davies perhaps hasn't been in his best form, but is solid, experienced and reliable in the lack of other options at 12. Huw Jones is a bit of a bolter for the other 13 spot. At his best he is a devastating attacker, in a similar mould to North and just seems like a Gatland player. Would love to see him tour. Slade is very talented but hasn't demanded selection in a similar way to how Jonny Gray hasn't. If Tuilagi is fit, he may go instead of Davies. Perhaps it is also harsh to leave Ringrose out.

Back three: Can't see any players ousting those 6. All outstanding players, good under the high ball and can score tries - all lions in waiting. Not seen anything from the Irish and Scottish options here that would offer anything better.

I do find it interesting that despite being almost a nailed on starter, he's certainly form 15, and being captain of his country that Hogg hasn't really been touted as a choice for captain? I must admit I don't think he really stands out as a top captain, also seen Ken Owens banded about as captain as well. He's not a nailed on starter, I don't think he's captained Wales more than a few times, if at all but has been successful as captain for Scarlets. Alun Wyn Jones is probably the best choice for captain but not necessarily the best choice at 2nd row in the playing department.

Hogg as captain for Scotland too me is a bit of the case of no one else looking like a captain rather than him being the best one for the job.
Same with Farrell as Captain IMO.

I do find it interesting that despite being almost a nailed on starter, he's certainly form 15, and being captain of his country that Hogg hasn't really been touted as a choice for captain? I must admit I don't think he really stands out as a top captain, also seen Ken Owens banded about as captain as well. He's not a nailed on starter, I don't think he's captained Wales more than a few times, if at all but has been successful as captain for Scarlets. Alun Wyn Jones is probably the best choice for captain but not necessarily the best choice at 2nd row in the playing department.

As others said Hogg seems to be captain by default somewhat. Most people also seem to not like 15s been captain.

There is also of course a nation and club captain who has been integral to the good results of the previous two tours, who's hitting his straps recently but is rarely mentioned as a Lions captain...

Is he a good captain, though?
Looks like a placeholder, even if he did have to beg for the job

I've never liked backs as captains, anyway - certainly not ones as far away from the action as fullback

There is also of course a nation and club captain who has been integral to the good results of the previous two tours, who's hitting his straps recently but is rarely mentioned as a Lions captain...
I wouldn't say Farrell is hitting his straps recently, but I admire your crush on him

Latest posts