• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Lions squad for 2021 prediction

Well, it would be a mistake not to pick Van Der Merwe I think, big and strong, fast, in form, and he understands Afrikaans.

Other guys to consider I think would be that Reese-Zammit fellow, who is very fast and nippy. Adams, Lowe, Earls.

Or even look at having Liam Williams or Stuart Hogg on the wing, who's a bit more solid defensively.

It's just that when I hear Watson being in the wing, I don't tremble in fear that he's going to win the game on his own for the team.
Ahh, now I see, this is a little sneaky sneaky eh?

Well, it would be a mistake not to pick Van Der Merwe I think, big and strong, fast, in form, and he understands Afrikaans.

Other guys to consider I think would be that Reese-Zammit fellow, who is very fast and nippy. Adams, Lowe, Earls.

Or even look at having Liam Williams or Stuart Hogg on the wing, who's a bit more solid defensively.

It's just that when I hear Watson being in the wing, I don't tremble in fear that he's going to win the game on his own for the team.

Watson always worries me when I see him in an England team but I can see why you would think differently.

I'd take a little issue with this tbh, I know there's an inherent bias of the players you watch more etc, as always the case, but Watson is electric in any form of space, strong under the high ball... his only weakness is he does occasionally leave the outside channel open on kick chases, but hopefully can fix that positionally
Adams is a good finisher, very good, but he doesnt have the X factor of the acceleration and electric sidestep Watson does, for me anyway. He's stronger yes, but thats about it from what I can see

Yeah that's fair and I don't think there's much in it to be honest. Adams is pretty rapid and does have a bit of X factor, though, but we all see it differently.

Watson always worries me when I see him in an England team but I can see why you would think differently.
Fair enough. Was just wondering why so many rate him so highly, when he's never really been that good against us.

During that last tour to SA, Johnny May was a menace. And Watson basically flew under the radar from my point of view.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

Fair enough. Was just wondering why so many rate him so highly, when he's never really been that good against us.

During that last tour to SA, Johnny May was a menace. And Watson basically flew under the radar from my point of view.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

We all go on what we see don't we and naturally we see our teams more than others so I'm no different to you or any other fan really. Watson usually plays well against Wales so I fear him more than you as he hasn't perhaps had his best games against SA.

Wingers are only really as good as the platform they're given. Most need a yard of space and for their pack to not get beaten up. I think Watson could definitely give you all sorts of problems if the team plays well but naturally there's a load to choose from. Adams was top try scorer in the World Cup wasn't he? Perceptions can change. Gareth Davies at 9 is a good example of that. Stock was high after the WC but now is a bit crap to be honest.

On Manu, I'm not sure he'll go as he won't have time to prove his fitness, but the Lions tour is actually perfect for Manu. He's too fragile to realistically be an option for England anymore and if EJ is still hoping to build a team around him then he truly has lost the plot. However, a one off tour at international level would suit Manu perfectly.

Based on form ability and a game plan to beat the boks

1 Sutherland
2. LCD
3. Furlong
4. Itoje
5. Ryan
6 Beirne
7.Curry
8. Faleteau
9. Murray or Davies
10. Russel
11 Watson ( Class act- not sure where the criticism comes from)
12. If fit** Tuilagi if not Henshaw
13. Ringrose
14 LRZ, if playing safe May
15. Hogg

Quite a few selections ive seen on forum seem to be based on temp form of the six nations. However that is no substitute for actual ability and more importantly been a cog in the wheel. I've seen countless posts and articles advocating for example North at 13, or not selecting Itoje as he isn't big enough. If the Lions try and play like the boks they will loose.

If they try and gain parity at the set piece and contact areas. We can then play our own game when we have the ball. We need to play quickly , not get engaged in an arm wrestle

The idea of South Africa being more worried about Keet than Watson is just hilarious
Don't let your fears of the Moyross Express distract from your views :)

Earls would clean up vs Lions on either wing. If it was on a Sunday he'd cover both wings alone and still have a cuppa at H/T.

Pete O'Mahony is an established winger who can also cover backrow too from 23 so there is all your problems sorted ;)

If I had to pick a left field choice for centre and given it's Gatland - Jamie Roberts

I hope it doesn't happen. A big man running at people isn't going to win the series but Gatland is stubborn

If I had to pick a left field choice for centre and given it's Gatland - Jamie Roberts

I hope it doesn't happen. A big man running at people isn't going to win the series but Gatland is stubborn
No chance, Roberts fell out of favour years ago and is one of the most 1 dimensional players in rugby. If there is one thing Saffas love, it's big 1 dimensional players trying to crash through their defence. Tuilagi at least is fast and could look to offload at times, Roberts looks to crash, only crash and seems to think deviating more than 5 degrees from perpendicular to the try line on his runs is against the rules.

No chance, Roberts fell out of favour years ago and is one of the most 1 dimensional players in rugby. If there is one thing Saffas love, it's big 1 dimensional players trying to crash through their defence. Tuilagi at least is fast and could look to offload at times, Roberts looks to crash, only crash and seems to think deviating more than 5 degrees from perpendicular to the try line on his runs is against the rules.
Lukhanyo Am, Jesse Kriel, Jan Serfontein and Damien De Allende does not agree with this statement...

That was the general idea during Wynand Olivier's time, but we've evolved since then.

TIL Jamie Roberts hasn't retired

Lukhanyo Am, Jesse Kriel, Jan Serfontein and Damien De Allende does not agree with this statement...

That was the general idea during Wynand Olivier's time, but we've evolved since then.
I think you read that wrong: He's saying the Boks defence would love a centre to just run at them all day, it's easy money to them
Unless you're implying the current crop of Boks defenders can't tackle? :p

That's not left field that's ridiculous. Literally zero chance of that happening. Rhys Webb would've been a good left field shout if he wasn't injured but Roberts? Nah.

He actually did a nice little grubber for a try assist the other day. Lol. I know what you're saying though. There's as much chance of me getting called up as Roberts.

My guess. No doubt get destroyed :D (not squad, test team)

1 Wyn Jones
2 LCD
3 Furlong
4 Itoje
5 Ryan
6 Underhill
7 Curry
8 Faletau

9 Murray
10 Russell
11 Rees Zammit
12 Henshaw
13 Tuilagi
14 Watson
15 Hogg

Subs
George
Sutherland
Sinckler
Beirne
Navidi
Davies
Farrell
L Williams

Van Der Merwe must have the worse defence of all the wingers currently
May has lost all his form since he played a match for Gloucester

Honestly wing is a bit of a worry for me.
I suspect Williams will feature more on the wing, with Hogg at 15.

I can really see LRZ going and prob Adams.

The squad I reckon Gatland will pick is currently for me
1. Jones, Vunipola, Marler (Could see him picking Carre)
2. Owens, George, Cowan-Dickie
3. Furlong, Sinckler, Francis
4. AWJ, Gray,
5. Itoje, Ryan, Kruis,
6. Bernie, Henderson, Wainwright
7. Curry, Navidi/Underhill
8. Faletau, Stander,

9. Davies, Murray, Price
10. Biggar, Russell, Farrell
11. LRZ,
12. Henshaw, Davies
13. (Manu), Ringrose, (North)