• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Lions squad for 2021 prediction

There is no way Hamish Watson doesn't tour. Same for Curry, obviously.

I think whether you love him or hate him people know Farrell is going so have already accepted it.

There is no way Hamish Watson doesn't tour. Same for Curry, obviously.

I think whether you love him or hate him people know Farrell is going so have already accepted it.
And everyone said the same thing about Launchburry last time. Yet his face probably looked like this

1620142411319.png

I didn't say that about Launchbury. Maybe it was an English thing. I do remember AWJ getting a load of abuse for getting selected though so it makes sense.
Well one was the standout lock of the tournament and shortlisted for player of the tournament, the other was not.

So you admit that Tipuric is out then? :p

No way they take 3 dedicated opensides in a squad that size
I think they might.. went with dual opensides in NZ, think its quite possible he will again. Favoured it towards the end of his Wales reign too, when the options are good enough

Also loathe to call Curry a Dedicated openside, given how well he now plays in the role of a blindside flanker, as well as getting time at 8 internationally. Might not be near it as an 8, but he's a very good blindside

And one is about to go on his 4th Lions tour and another is about to get left out, again.
He's injured.....

Anyway context of the time, England had just won the tournament, Launchburry had won two man of the match awards and been shortlisted as player of the tournament.

Wales came 5th, AWJ had no awards what so ever but I supposed he was captain.

So yeah its fair to say people thought Gatland had made a huge blunder and just went with picking people he knew (and they were right).

He's injured.....

Anyway context of the time, England had just won the tournament, Launchburry had won two man of the match awards and been shortlisted as player of the tournament.

Wales came 5th, AWJ had no awards what so ever but I supposed he was captain.

So yeah its fair to say people thought Gatland had made a huge blunder and just went with picking people he knew (and they were right).
Were they? I see this said a lot with no real evidence to back it up. I'm sure Gatland picks who he thinks are the best players. It's all opinions at the end of the day. Gatland probably thinks Launchbury isn't cut from the same cloth as AWJ and I'd agree. Others would disagree which is fine obviously

I saw some pie charts the other day that gave a breakdown of the last 6 or 7 lions tours and while the Welsh contingent has slightly increased under Gatland you're talking a matter of 1-2%. And that's considering how bad Wales were in the 90s so the old argument that Gats just picks inferior Welsh players doesn't really stack up that well.

Were they? I see this said a lot with no real evidence to back it up. I'm sure Gatland picks who he thinks are the best players. It's all opinions at the end of the day. Gatland probably thinks Launchbury isn't cut from the same cloth as AWJ and I'd agree. Others would disagree which is fine obviously
Had access to exactly the same Irish players as Joe Schmitt and more,

Wins against NZ

Schmitt: 2
Galtand:1

You've lost me bud. Not sure how that is relevant but all good.
Took 12 Welsh guys and 11 Irish

Caps 18 Irish, 20 Welsh

Ireland wins against NZ in cycle: 2
England wins against NZ in cycle: 1 (only played twice)
Wales wins against NZ in cycle: 0
Lions wins: 1

Simply put Gatland's selections clearly crippled two sides that could both beat NZ and combined should win most of the time.

Took 12 Welsh guys and 11 Irish

Caps 18 Irish, 20 Welsh

Ireland wins against NZ in cycle: 2
England wins against NZ in cycle: 1 (only played twice)
Wales wins against NZ in cycle: 0
Lions wins: 1

Simply put Gatland's selections clearly crippled two sides that could both beat NZ and combined should win most of the time.

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works and ignores loads of factors/variables but I can't really be arsed to go into it tbh.

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works and ignores loads of factors/variables but I can't really be arsed to go into it tbh.
Nah i understand Wales are like 'Woo we beat NZ' and everyone else is like 'yeah we've done that'.

Latest posts