• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The unconditional love for a team, where does it come from?

Here's my story: I am born and raised in Holland, my wife is from South Africa. That's how I got into rugby in the first place. My father-in-law was a Sharks fan so I picked that up automatically. I watched every match from 2006 onwards. Not a lot of glory in those days by the way. During the years I picked up a certain sympathy for several players (Ruan Pienaar, Francois Steyn, Ryan Kankowski, Sterfan Terblanche and Craig Burden). Because of some players moving to Europe (Pienaar to Ulster, Steyn to Racing Metro) I decided to follow those clubs when I started to follow European rugby a couple of weeks back. I planned trips to Colombes and Belfast this season because I started to love rugby so much it actually took over my love for footbal (FIFA, not NFL).

As you probably know, it is very rarely that people support an overseas team that is not a champion team/contender, hence where the gloryhunting comes in.

I doubt many people have qualms with others rooting on the underdogs.

But in your case, you have a connecntion to the city/area where the team comes from, I stand to be corrected, but I don't think there is any sort of nationwide rugby touney in Holland.

@ Feicarsinn

Well, so long as you follow your local team (more fondely than others) then you can't really be a gloryhunter. Add to that the Pumas are sh*te, and the only trophy they can win is the wooden spoon.

And if you support Aberdeen Football Club, you are the opposite of a glory-hunter

Last edited:
The thing is that I fell in love with rugby when I was in South Africa. I watched some Currie Cup, some Tri Nations back in 2006. The player I admired from day one is Ruan Pienaar. I decided to watch some more rugby and I tried to find out about Dutch rugby if there is something nice to watch but it turned out there is nothing that attracts me of Dutch Rugby. In that view I might be a glory hunter choosing SA rugby to follow ;)

I just like that I found a forum here where I can talk about rugby and actually people respond ;)

The only way rugby will grow in Holland is if people get interested, merely looking at websites will boost their ratings, and just put out a good word for the game.

If I can put up with the torment that Shambles FC brings, then Im sure you can bear (sp.) attending a game or 2 of the local pish

btw Edinburgh/Glasgow have a good, young Dutch wing called Tim Visser, if you are looking for top-flight Dutch players

btw Edinburgh/Glasgow have a good, young Dutch wing called Tim Visser, if you are looking for top-flight Dutch players

Apparently he's gonna play for Scotland... He looks good indeed.

The only way rugby will grow in Holland is if people get interested, merely looking at websites will boost their ratings, and just put out a good word for the game.

If I can put up with the torment that Shambles FC brings, then Im sure you can bear (sp.) attending a game or 2 of the local pish

I know Tim Visser. Problem is he is the only one of a certain level. I watch dutch rugby and even play it but I have to attend matches to be able to see them since nothing is shown on tv.

Apparently he's gonna play for Scotland... He looks good indeed.

I thought he already had 22 caps for Holland?

@ Ezequiel

TV is overrated, unless your team plays away of course.

Last edited:
Even when my team plays at home It's difficult for me to watch since I'm on the field you know ;)

Says on the Edinburgh site that his Dad played for Holland 67 times, and that Tim "has declared a wish to represent Scotland as and when he qualifies through residency."

Four tries in 3 games this season! That's not too shabby

I support South Africa because they always win!

Oh, wait... Uh, scratch that...

EDIT: OMG WTF happened to my post count!!?!?!?!?

Latest posts