• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The worst case Lions team

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Feb 11 2009, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 11 2009, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
answering my own question then, he hasn't, 3 appearances for England and they've all come as sub. Hardly the credentials for a Lions test starter.[/b]

Alright smartarse, who else is there then?

And coming on as a sub still earns a test cap BTW! ;)
[/b][/quote]

has he played a test at 10 i.e. has he played 80 minutes at 10, no, should have made it clearer for you then :rolleyes:

wow and you have a go earlier about personal insults, careful I could get tetchy. To answer your question though, there is nobody else, at the moment it's a choice between Jones and O'Gara. Neither are setting the world on fire but Jones is playing more consistently at the moment. Hook and Cipriani aren't living up to their hype and there's no other options as far as I'm concerned certainly not Flood, Geraghty or Godman

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Feb 11 2009, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
11. Chris Paterson (We can't justify picking a player just for place kicking, though he is much underated)[/b]

The 97 Lions did with Jenkins... Seemed to work then.
[/b][/quote]

Ah but Paterson's kicking limit is about 40m, so we'll still need a second kicker for the long shots

lets be honest here, if somebody cannot even get in the Scotland side then they're not even going to tour to SA let alone get anywhere near the test team.

1. English Player
2. English Player
3. English Player
4. English Player
5. English Player
6. English Player
7. English Player
8. English Player
9. English Player
10. English Player
11. English Player
12. English Player
13. English Player
14. English Player
15. English Player

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g6mcg @ Feb 11 2009, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What do you think is the worst team that could feasibly be picked for the Lions? (So you can't include players such as Parks, Di Rollover, Balshaw etc)

1. Sheridan (Limited scrummaging skill, inconsistent, and can't even be described as a great ball carrier)
2. I really don't know for this one, I think all the candidates are of roughyl equal skill (in different areas)
3. Phil Vickery [Unless on form] (More recently he's been a wheezing ant rather than a raging bull, however if he regains form I would not object too strongly)
4. & 5. I can't see anyone being picked outside of the Irish, and Welsh pairs, [possibly Hines] and would not object to any of these.
6. Jason White (Fortunately unlikely to be picked, but recently has been lethargic in his play)
7. Tom Rees or John Barclay (Both are very talented but would be eaten by the South frican back row, I would prefer Wallace)
8. Andy Powell (Undoubted skills with the ball in hand, but his work in the tight is poor, and has to be covered by Jones & Williams for Wales)
9. Danny Care (At the moment he is not ready, and his crabbing will hinder the team)
10. Danny Cipriani (Unless he proves himself in the 6 Nations as his kicking, and passing can be neutered by better teams)
11. Chris Paterson (We can't justify picking a player just for place kicking, though he is much underated)
12. Gordon D'Arcy (Has not performed well since 2006 for Ireland)
13. Ben Cairns (Having heard this suggested I want to stop it-there are far better alternatives)
14. Tommy Bowe (The worst of a good bunch)
15. Anyone other than Rob Kearney or Lee Byrne

I realise I've probably made some glaring omissions, but it is surprisingly hard.[/b]
How aout the Armitage brothers i think they have the same potential as the Evans brohters

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g6mcg @ Feb 13 2009, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Feb 11 2009, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
11. Chris Paterson (We can't justify picking a player just for place kicking, though he is much underated)[/b]

The 97 Lions did with Jenkins... Seemed to work then.
[/b][/quote]

Ah but Paterson's kicking limit is about 40m, so we'll still need a second kicker for the long shots
[/b][/quote]

If you want a man who has a boot what about gavin Henson Or delon armitage

This is not the worst case team, but the worst team of the players that are possible/probable for the plane.

1. Sheridan
2. Rees
3. Hayes
4. Borthwick
5. Shaw
6. R. Jones
7. Worsley
8. Powell

9. Blair
10. O'Gara
11. Halfpenny
12. Flutey
13. Earls
14. Sackey
15. Armitage

picking Hook would be a far bigger gamble than picking O'Gara, Sunday was proof of that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Apr 14 2009, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This is not the worst case team, but the worst team of the players that are possible/probable for the plane.
13. Earls
15. Armitage[/b]

No.

Just no.

1. Sheridan

3. Vickery/Hayes

6. Jones

10. Hook

15. Kearney

Over the last few weeks...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Apr 14 2009, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Apr 14 2009, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
13. Earls
15. Armitage[/b]

No.

Just no.
[/b][/quote]

Ok, I don't get what you mean here. are you saying no they won't be on the plane? Or no they should never be picked on a team? Or no they should never be picked on a worst case scenario type team because they should be on the actual team?

I don't get your BUZZZ man.

Tarbh, I didn't pick Hook because I don't think there is now a possibility of him going. I picked O'Gara because our forwards are going to have a tough time out there and he has shown time and again that when they don't give him an easy ride he shats his bean.

Hall, Earls is a quality player but is young, inexperienced and would get eaten out in SA. The other options of BOD and Shanklin would be far more secure.
And out of the possibles of Byrne, Kearney and Armitage I still feel the latter has least to give.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Apr 14 2009, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Apr 14 2009, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Apr 14 2009, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
13. Earls
15. Armitage[/b]

No.

Just no.
[/b][/quote]

Ok, I don't get what you mean here. are you saying no they won't be on the plane? Or no they should never be picked on a team? Or no they should never be picked on a worst case scenario type team because they should be on the actual team?

[/b][/quote]

I think that Armitage, as things stand, would be a better option that Rob Kearney so is not worts case scenario.

As for Earls, I'd rather he played than Shanklin.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Apr 14 2009, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Apr 14 2009, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Apr 14 2009, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
13. Earls
15. Armitage[/b]

No.

Just no.
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I think that Armitage, as things stand, would be a better option that Rob Kearney so is not worts case scenario.

As for Earls, I'd rather he played than Shanklin.
[/b][/quote]

Ah right. That makes sense so. Reason for having Shanklin there would be his experience and he's sold. But then again 'Experienced and solid' isn't going to win this tour so maybe Earls is a better option.

And I'd agree that Armitage is playing better rugby than Kearney.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bumbadum @ Apr 14 2009, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Apr 14 2009, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for Earls, I'd rather he played than Shanklin.[/b]

Really? Why?
[/b][/quote]

We've got the reliable player in BOD. Why go for a reliable player who isn't as good if you aren't going to play BOD?

If for whatever reason BOD doesn't play, I'd say give Earls the chance.

But Earls will have many chances ahead of him, he's what...22?

If you're choosing between Shanklin and Earls, you choosing from two players who are worse than BoD, one of whom is proven at international level over a period of years and one who is not.

Theres definietely an argument to have him on the plane, but as for a starting test team, I think he'd be incredibly lucky to get in contention.

Both would be lucky, I'd just prefer Earls to Shanklin.

Luckily, barring Brian O'Driscoll getting injured it probably won't come to that.

The point is a reliable centre in Shanklin isn't going to win. You need something glairy in the centre. Something like (hate to say it) what Henson can do at time, Hook, Flutey, Darcy back it that golden season... so why not consider Earls in that pool of options? I

He's playing as well or better than most of them.

'm not gone on Shanklin as a partner to BOD.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Apr 14 2009, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Both would be lucky, I'd just prefer Earls to Shanklin.

Luckily, barring Brian O'Driscoll getting injured it probably won't come to that.[/b]

Yeah, the question of course is only relevant if BoD is in hospital.

Given the lack of Lions test experience of the current first choice outside backs though, i'd much rather have a proven guy in there if BoD was out. None of Bowe, Fitzgerald, Byrne, Kearney, Armitage have a Lions cap between them, god knows who is playing at inside centre, if it's Henson the case for a steady hand becomes even greater.

Considering his record at international level, I think Shanks could consider himself vastly unlucky if he was bumped out in such a scenario.

The thing is, Earls beats Flutey or Roberts for a test spot for me (not so much Darcy, he's less one dimensional than those two), so i'd argue that shoeing Shanklin into the test 12 jersey from the off is a good idea, and bringing Earls into 13 should BoD get done again.

Latest posts