• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The worst case Lions team

Just because they're so physical doesn't mean we should go out and pick a large team too. That's trying to beat them at thheir own game. A smaller player can take down a bigger player if he can tackle properly. We need to be quicker and run good lines to break them.

If you want strong and good lines there's Fitzgerald, taclkes like a demon. 6'1, quick and runs great lines. Only problem is he's been playing wing which is his position for now.

The great thing about having hin on the wing as that he really looks for work and will show up in the centre come a good attacking opertunity.

But back to the question at hand, I'd rather a really pacey centre to Roberts. Earls, Henson, Flutey. Can Max Evans play 12 and 13?

I'm not sure, but I know he can't tackle so that rules him out of playing 12 at the very least, and starting at 13.

Well in that case we could see a large number of centres trialled in the first 3 to 4 tour matches and then an attempt to gel a partnership in the run up to the tour matches.

I think Flutey might actually be a good idea, he doesn't necessarily have the pace to exploit space but he has the happy knack of creating it. Perfect for O'Driscoll who only needs the bare minimum of space to work his magic as it is.

Plus Flutey is, like O'Driscoll, a solid defender.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Apr 14 2009, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I want Roberts at 12.

I think we need someone that big against the Springboks.[/b]

He got found out very quickly though after his game against Scotland and considering how lethargic NH teams are tactically that is amazing but at the same time worrying.

I'd probably be confident in saying that SH coaches have been pouring over match tapes of Ireland & Wales and have already pointed out Roberts for special treatment. Doesn't matter how big he is, if he's been found out then he's been found out and will thus cease to be a positive force for the team.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Apr 14 2009, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just because they're so physical doesn't mean we should go out and pick a large team too. That's trying to beat them at thheir own game. A smaller player can take down a bigger player if he can tackle properly. We need to be quicker and run good lines to break them.

If you want strong and good lines there's Fitzgerald, taclkes like a demon. 6'1, quick and runs great lines. Only problem is he's been playing wing which is his position for now.

The great thing about having hin on the wing as that he really looks for work and will show up in the centre come a good attacking opertunity.

But back to the question at hand, I'd rather a really pacey centre to Roberts. Earls, Henson, Flutey. Can Max Evans play 12 and 13?[/b]

He can play 13, but I'm fairly certain he hasn't played 12 in the Magners League, and definetly not for Scotland.

Also for me he lacks the defensive skills, kicking game and distribution for a 12.

Going on the squad that's been picked and assuming that key players suffer injuries or a massive loss of form then a worst case scenario could be something among these lines.

15. Kearney, 14. Halfpenny, 13. Shanklin, 12. Roberts, 11. Earls, 10. O'Gara, 9. Ellis, 1. Sheridan, 2. Mears, 3. Vickery, 4. Shaw, 5. Wyn Jones, 6. Quinlan, 7. Worsley, 8. Powell.

Now before people start thinking I'm calling all these players **** that's not the case, it is for some of them, but others are in it if the main option misses out.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Apr 21 2009, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You'd pick DOC and Hines ahead of AWJ?[/b]

without question, I just don't get the number of people who think that Wyn Jones and O'Connell is the perfect partnership in the second row, it's similar to those who are picking Shanklin to partner O'Driscoll, it's about partnerships and having players who are going to complement each other, that's certainly the case with DOC and POC, you can't guarantee that with any of the other locks and we'll probably only have 1 or 2 games to find someone other than DOC to partner O'Connell.

Well yes, that's why D'Arcy should be on the plane and playing at 12.
The problem with your theory is that AWJ is a better player than DOC. <strike>And a tactical genius according to some characters on here</strike> :p

How long ago was it that you told me DOC's only chance of starting a test was AWJ getting injured Tarbh? :huh: I agree with you by the way, but you have done a bit of a u turn on this one.

I want to see Hines and O'Connell start a test B)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Apr 22 2009, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How long ago was it that you told me DOC's only chance of starting a test was AWJ getting injured Tarbh? :huh: I agree with you by the way, but you have done a bit of a u turn on this one.

I want to see Hines and O'Connell start a test B)[/b]

I said he was an injury away from starting a test slight difference but that was before AWJ captained Wales in Rome and look utterly clueless in doing so.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 22 2009, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Apr 22 2009, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I said he was an injury away from starting a test slight difference but that was before AWJ captained Wales in Rome and look utterly clueless in doing so.
[/b][/quote]

Oh dear one game and thats all it takes from a good player to instantly become a bad player <_<

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Apr 22 2009, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 22 2009, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Apr 22 2009, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Oh dear one game and thats all it takes from a good player to instantly become a bad player <_<
[/b][/quote]

Correct. You're only as good as your last game <_<

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Apr 22 2009, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 22 2009, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

one game where his leadership abilities were being questioned, something that will be quite important for a Lions tour and he failed spectacularly.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 22 2009, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Apr 22 2009, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

one game where his leadership abilities were being questioned, something that will be quite important for a Lions tour and he failed spectacularly.
[/b][/quote]

I dont think a real valid point to why he cant start next to POC in a Lions Test. The Welsh team around him was poor that day and so was the decision by the coaches to play an under strength squad. So you cant just point the finger directly at AWJ im afraid, and why are we talking leadership about a bloke who is not the captain? Seems just a feeble excuse to have a go at AWJ.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Apr 22 2009, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 22 2009, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I dont think a real valid point to why he cant start next to POC in a Lions Test. The Welsh team around him was poor that day and so was the decision by the coaches to play an under strength squad. So you cant just point the finger directly at AWJ im afraid, and why are we talking leadership about a bloke who is not the captain? Seems just a feeble excuse to have a go at AWJ.
[/b][/quote]

you think that leadership is an issue that is solely down to the captain, that's nonsense, for the Lions to be successful they're going to need more than just the leadership of O'Connell to get over the line.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 22 2009, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Apr 22 2009, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 22 2009, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

you think that leadership is an issue that is solely down to the captain, that's nonsense, for the Lions to be successful they're going to need more than just the leadership of O'Connell to get over the line.
[/b][/quote]

No the one time AWJ was captain he was not helped by other leaders in the team, the game at Italy was not all down to AWJ as you are making out. Thats the truth. AWJ sets the standards for others to follow in the Welsh team and Id expect him to do the same for the Lions!

Latest posts