• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Todays Testing Of Rc2006 At Swordfish

Cheers guys for the reviews, made the 2nd half of my afternoon bearable knowing I had a good review to go home and mull over.

... just sold Rugby 2005 to make room for this baby in Nov, tho it will have to compete with Pro Evo 5 and Gaelic Games:Football at that stage too - but from all accounts its up to it.

A question I have for locks/knows... what teams did you play as?
The reason I ask is, when you play as a good team vs a poor team (in relation to rankings), how are the teams differentiated?
What I mean is, does the good team sprint much faster then the poorer team, despite many players (think backs) having players of similar spped, but just worse ball skills - is this lack of ability in the game, or are they just lacking in physical depts?

To break it down; will I have much chance of beating Leicester Tigers as Connacht? (as happened pre-season)

Cheers chaps, soory if its a bit convoluted!

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Sep 29 2005, 09:43 PM
So what did Mr. Mather do to retire to reffing? Was he just getting too old? Does that mean Trevor and Ian are taking up managerial/coaching roles? Anyway, what was the giants name in JLR? Something Williams. Or maybe the was the WCR giant.

Help me out here Trev.
from memory, the big guy played for team Rage and played fullback. His name was Trevor Williams. I think!!
<

Originally posted by raziel_eire@Sep 30 2005, 09:57 AM
Cheers guys for the reviews, made the 2nd half of my afternoon bearable knowing I had a good review to go home and mull over.

... just sold Rugby 2005 to make room for this baby in Nov, tho it will have to compete with Pro Evo 5 and Gaelic Games:Football at that stage too - but from all accounts its up to it.

The reason I ask is, when you play as a good team vs a poor team (in relation to rankings), how are the teams differentiated?
What I mean is, does the good team sprint much faster then the poorer team, despite many players (think backs) having players of similar spped, but just worse ball skills - is this lack of ability in the game, or are they just lacking in physical depts?

To break it down; will I have much chance of beating Leicester Tigers as Connacht? (as happened pre-season)

We played as various teams and there seems to be a really good balance. Its obviously harder playing as a weaker team against a better team, but its not impossible to COMPETE. That was always the problem for me with Rugby Union games, you just couldnt win the ball in the rucks and always got turned over.

In RC2006 it really depends on a lot of factors, where you are on the field in relation to your other team mates, how quick your pack gets into the ruck. You can generally tell who is going to win the ruck by watching the players go in, its not random at all.

Its a fair system and its probably harder to do something with the ball against the better teams rather then you get NO ball at all.

For me it is THE fairest system in a rugby union game ever and I never felt cheated because I had a weaker team. Its just a challenge.

Hope that helps with your question.

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Sep 30 2005, 06:23 PM
the biggest was the super giant lock wasnt he?....
Nah, in JLR the big guy was at fullback, had blonde hair and was a freaking giant!

I've gathered that it was in fact Trev himself, but in WCR he shrunk, changed positions, and dyed his hair, thus confusing me.

Originally posted by CeeJay@Sep 30 2005, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the reply knowlsleyroader. This game sounds good so far. another couple of questions.

1. Does the sprint bar run out when your half way through what would be an awsome runaway?

2. Is there a good instant replay? WRC had one of the worst insant replays ever(Rugby2004 was right up there too) If there is, can u save them?(wishfull thinking I know)
The sprint bar is something you have to manage in my opinion, I use is as a player gets close to try and get away as they go for a tackle. You do slow down after a certain period, but to be honest if you didnt I think it would change the way the game played beyond belief and the balance that is there would potentially be gone.

I personally have no problems what so ever with the sprint meters. Gr8 on the forwards now as well for bursting tackles.

Only get replays after scoring a try, but they continue indefinately I think and from all different angles.

Great stuff guys and much appreciated.

How much can you tell us about the camera angles.....particularly the dynamics of the side view?

Cheers for all the stuff Lox and Knowsley - some quality material here gentlemen. With RL2 and this the cold winter months should be alright....

(AS LONG AS I GET MY PS2 SORTED)

Originally posted by knowsleyroader+Sep 30 2005, 06:42 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (knowsleyroader @ Sep 30 2005, 06:42 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-raziel_eire
@Sep 30 2005, 09:57 AM

We played as various teams and there seems to be a really good balance. Its obviously harder playing as a weaker team against a better team, but its not impossible to COMPETE. That was always the problem for me with Rugby Union games, you just couldnt win the ball in the rucks and always got turned over.

In RC2006 it really depends on a lot of factors, where you are on the field in relation to your other team mates, how quick your pack gets into the ruck. You can generally tell who is going to win the ruck by watching the players go in, its not random at all.

Its a fair system and its probably harder to do something with the ball against the better teams rather then you get NO ball at all.

For me it is THE fairest system in a rugby union game ever and I never felt cheated because I had a weaker team. Its just a challenge.

Hope that helps with your question. [/b]

cheers knows ...

... music to my ears hearing that it is harder to do things with the ball against better teams as opposed to never having the ball and not being able to get possession of it...

looking forward to this !

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Oct 1 2005, 03:14 AM
Cheers for all the stuff Lox and Knowsley - some quality material here gentlemen. With RL2 and this the cold winter months should be alright....
Oh man, I'm hardly going to get to play it much at all with the summer rolling round.

Thanks again for the reply, just one more in relation to the speed bar, when it does run out and you do slow down, do you do that horrible bob up and down with ball in two hands thing??

Cheers guys for the answers to many questions that have been bothering me about whether to buy this game.

Just one to ask though, what are the camera options like? I always found scoring drop-goals very difficult on a side view and as you say, they can be very important in the last few minutes of a game!
<

Originally posted by harrison2468@Oct 1 2005, 09:46 PM
Cheers guys for the answers to many questions that have been bothering me about whether to buy this game.

Just one to ask though, what are the camera options like? I always found scoring drop-goals very difficult on a side view and as you say, they can be very important in the last few minutes of a game!
<
I'm not the right person to ask this question to. I HATE side view on rugby games, in my opinion, it's unplayable on ANY rugby game.

locks ... whilst playing - did you guys ever feel the need/require a substitution to add some extra impetus to a game... i.e. noticeable tiring of some players towards the end of the game, bringing a wingman on to exploit the opponents tiring defence?

... and I'd heard it mentioned that the squads have only got 20 players - is that right, and if so, does it take away from the game with such a restriction on the actual team you field (this would apply more to the competitions or career mode as opposed to pick-up-and-play games)

A deeper squad adds a little more depth to the game in my opinion, playing squad players against weaker opposition etc and trying to still get a good result and just generally letting you tweak with your team

... cheers

Originally posted by CeeJay@Oct 1 2005, 02:57 PM
Thanks again for the reply, just one more in relation to the speed bar, when it does run out and you do slow down, do you do that horrible bob up and down with ball in two hands thing??
Didnt notice anything like that, the animations are all top class.

Originally posted by locksley+Oct 1 2005, 10:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locksley @ Oct 1 2005, 10:16 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-harrison2468
@Oct 1 2005, 09:46 PM

Just one to ask though, what are the camera options like?  I always found scoring drop-goals very difficult on a side view and as you say, they can be very important in the last few minutes of a game!
<
I'm not the right person to ask this question to. I HATE side view on rugby games, in my opinion, it's unplayable on ANY rugby game. [/b]
Again im not a side view person, in my opinion it doesnt lend itsself to Rugby games at all as you never know where the fullback is ( unless you use the radar ).

It seems fine for what it is and I did have a go on it and for what its worth, is probably the most playable I have found a side view.

Im a south cam man though
<

Some very varied views from behind that switch round and from different zooms. To be honest there is more than one I could play as and I sometimes switch between them which is a good sign.

Originally posted by raziel_eire@Oct 1 2005, 11:37 PM
locks ... whilst playing - did you guys ever feel the need/require a substitution to add some extra impetus to a game... i.e. noticeable tiring of some players towards the end of the game, bringing a wingman on to exploit the opponents tiring defence?

... and I'd heard it mentioned that the squads have only got 20 players - is that right, and if so, does it take away from the game with such a restriction on the actual team you field (this would apply more to the competitions or career mode as opposed to pick-up-and-play games)

A deeper squad adds a little more depth to the game in my opinion, playing squad players against weaker opposition etc and trying to still get a good result and just generally letting you tweak with your team

... cheers
Pretty sure there were more than 20 players.

With regards to fatigue and requiring to make subs, its something we didnt really bother with.

Maybe Trevor could tell you more about how that system works ?

I would be interested to know also as I think fatigue and substitutions is a massive part of the game.

Originally posted by knowsleyroader+Oct 1 2005, 11:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (knowsleyroader @ Oct 1 2005, 11:43 PM)</div>
Originally posted by locksley@Oct 1 2005, 10:16 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-harrison2468
@Oct 1 2005, 09:46 PM

Just one to ask though, what are the camera options like?  I always found scoring drop-goals very difficult on a side view and as you say, they can be very important in the last few minutes of a game!
<

I'm not the right person to ask this question to. I HATE side view on rugby games, in my opinion, it's unplayable on ANY rugby game.
Again im not a side view person, in my opinion it doesnt lend itsself to Rugby games at all as you never know where the fullback is ( unless you use the radar ).

It seems fine for what it is and I did have a go on it and for what its worth, is probably the most playable I have found a side view.

Im a south cam man though
<

Some very varied views from behind that switch round and from different zooms. To be honest there is more than one I could play as and I sometimes switch between them which is a good sign. [/b]
Thanks
<
. Just needed to know about the camera, and all sounds good - defo be getting it when it comes out now!

Latest posts