• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Top XV of the Noughties (2001 - 2010)

Yeah, if Lomu can be considered so can Joost van der Westhuizen and Os du Randt, although I would take FdP ahead of Joost any day.

Bit of a pointless thread I know but anything during this dry spell (at least the NH guys have some rugby to look forward to)

In terms of any players who played from 2000-2010, mine is this.

1. Os du Randt (SA) - Legend of South Africa, two World Cup medals with in four World Cups.
2. Keith Wood (IRE) - Probably the best forward to ever come out of Ireland. Was the best hooker in the world in the early 2000's.
3. Carl Hayman (NZ) - Best prop of the decade. Ultimate scrummaging machine. He's obviously missed in New Zealand.
4. Victor Matfield (SA) - Best line out opperator, probably ever. Most capped South African.
5. Martin Johnson (ENG) - Captained England to a World Cup.
6. Jerry Collins (NZ) - Hardest hitting forward in my opinion ever. Big work rate, and was a real enforcer, not a thug. Richard Hill comes very close, but he can cover 6,7,8.
7. Richie McCaw (NZ) - Greatest openside flanker ever. Most capped NZ player and captain, won more NPC and Super championships than anyone, and great captaining record.
8. Lawrence Dallaglio (ENG) - Was the best #8 in 2003. He was a good ball carrier and a big game player.
9. George Gregan (AUS) - Most capped player of all time, huge ability. No player I've ever hated more.
10. Daniel Carter (NZ) - Top test points scorer of all time. Best fly half for most of the decade.
11. Jonah Lomu (NZ) - Not really a 2000's player, but he did play and was a beast. Most World Cup tries (15), and was for a time NZ's most capped winger. First true Superstar in rugby.
12. Tana Umaga (NZ) - In my opinion, he was the best centre I'e ever seen play. Huge hitter, great fast runner, inspirational captain, and uncanny handling skills. He was a better center, but he was a great 2nd 5/8th as well, and BOD is too good to ignore.
13. Brian O'Driscoll (IRE) - Ireland's most capped player, one of their greatest captains. Amazing skills and very classy player. Hate the twat, but he's a good player.
14. Joe Rokocoko (NZ) - Ok, so he's not an obvious choice, but in his prime he was the best winger by a mile in the world. 17 International tries in one season, all of which were amazing, and he's the most capped All Black winger.
15. Christian Cullen (NZ) - When he retired, he was the AB's highest try scorer. Amazing player, never seen anyone carve up like he could. Mils is good, but Cullen's a freak.

16. John Smit (SA) - Most capped captain of all time.
17. Peter de Villiers (FRA) - I always thought he was the most under rated prop in the world.
18. Paul O'Connell (IRE) - It's a tough one, but leading the B&I Lions in 2009 I guess was the clincher. Chris Jack, Ali Williams and Brad Thorn were all tempting, but they've never captained.
19. Richard Hill (ENG) - Many would say he was better than Collins. Two different players, but from 2000-20003 Hill was the best blind side in the world, and he can cover 7 and 8 if need be. Hard grafter, and very good player.
20. Justin Marshall (NZ) - Almost missed out from his sky commentary. Matt Dawson and Fouie du Preez were very unlucky, but Marshall was brillaint in the 90's.
21. Andrew Mehrtens (NZ) - Better than Wilkinson in my opinion. Larkham was great, but I think Mehrtens is the greatest fly half, aside from Carter, ever. Carlos was a joke in comparison.
22. Percy Montgomery (SA) - He was a fantastic player I thought. Just beats Jason Robinson, Doug Howlett, Shane Williams and Mils Miliaina.

Really unlucky - Gethin Jenkins (WAL), Phil Vickery(ENG), Kevin Mealamu(NZ), Ali Williams (NZ), Nathan Sharpe (AUS), Sergio Parisse (Italy), Schualk Burger (SA), Matt Dawson (ENG), Augustin Pichot (ARG), Steven Larkham (AUS), Johnny Wilkinson (ENG), Conrad Smith (NZ), Doug Howlett (NZ), Shane Williams (WAL), Jason Robinson (ENG), Mils Muliaina (NZ).

That's my list. I tried to be fair.

Cymro is cracking me up man....
Well my world xv would be dominated by NZL, RSA and AUS players, not worth mentioning, but for those picking Matt Giteau over Tana Umaga,....

ROOKIES!!!!!....

And it's surprising Stirling Mortlock hasn't been mentioned either.

With O'Driscoll having existed in the past decade? No need to. I'd have an old-school Mike Tindall over him too (though Mortlock is/was a top top player, don't get me wrong)

Last edited:
Cymro is cracking me up man....
Well my world xv would be dominated by NZL, RSA and AUS players, not worth mentioning, but for those picking Matt Giteau over Tana Umaga,....

ROOKIES!!!!!....

And it's surprising Stirling Mortlock hasn't been mentioned either.

I admit, Mortlock was the heart and soal of the Australian rugby team for a long time. I rate him as probably the third or fourth best centre of the decade.

Everyone seems to have quickly forgotten just how brilliant Tana Umaga was, which I guess is their loss. Giteau is good, but in a much lower class.

Interesting though that the key figures of England's World Cup team are in many of the teams, and yet the captain of probably the most dominant team of the decade (NZ 2005), seems not to feature.

Last edited:
Thank You and good night!

I think you'll notice that 3 years and 11 tries does not warrant selection in the team of a decade, thank you very much... now if this was a team of the best players to play in the 00s , not necessarily a team of the decade then he would walk in but its a team of the decade so he shouldn't be included.

By that logic Martin Johnson shouldn't be named, as he retired from international rugby in 03 (and rugby fullstop in 05)

By that logic Martin Johnson shouldn't be named, as he retired from international rugby in 03 (and rugby fullstop in 05)

Martin Johnson got england the World Cup, Lomu didnt(get it for NZ). Lomu came close in 1995 but we all know who won that WC.

1. Os du Randt - The legend, if you look at his circumstances when he stopped playing, and started again...
2. Will have to think about this one
3. Same as above.

4. Martin Johnson - He was a great lock and a great captain, pity about his coaching I guess?
5. Victor Matfield - The line-out Kingpin, there is nobody that even comes close to his line-out presence on the field

6. Not really sure about this one. Collins? Hill? Burger? If Burger continued his World Cup form, I might have considered him. He was horrible 2008-2010 though, and an idiot sometimes.
7. Richie McCaw - Enough said.
8. I don't really know who to pick here.

9. Fourie du Preez/George Gregan
10. Dan Carter - No FH comes close

11. Bryan Habana/Williams (I'd pick Lomu for the 90's, I know Habana has been out of form in recent internatioanls, and in 2008, but in all other years he was an amazing winger)

12. Tana Umaga
13. Brian O'Driscoll

14. Tough one
15. Jason Robinson/Percy Montgomery (Cullen is my 90's FB, he belongs there Nick :) )

You guys will have to excuse my threadbare list, I only started watching rugby a lot during 2005/2006.

1. Os Du Randt - nuff said.
2. Jeremy Paul - The mainstay of the Australian front row for a long time.
3. Carl Hayman - I guess he was pretty good.

4. Nathan Sharpe - Look this guy was very good for a long time... even if he does look like Homer Simpson.
5. Victor Matfield - He's a nice guy.

6. Richard Hill - Dick Hill.
7. George Smith/Richie McCaw - at the top of their game the two best opensides ever.
8. Sergio Parisse - Has to drink petrol..... cause he's a tank.

9. George Gregan - Served Coffee while playing rugby cause he had that much extra time.
10. Elton Flatley - Dan Carter has a funny nose, and Elton was a machine for Australia for a very long time.

11. Shane Williams - When he's amazing he's amazing.
12. Tana Umaga - He has cool hair.
13. Digby Ioane - OBVIOUSLY.
14. Ben Tune - What a legend, tackled Lomu then patted him on the head as he got up to tackle someone else.

15. Chris Latham - A legend could kick a ball so accurately, that Percy Montgomery regularly got him to cut his hair with a Gilbert Barbarian.

16. Kevin Mealamu.
17. Phil Vickery.
18. Marty Holah.
19. George Stowers.
20. Augustine Pichot - or however you spell it.
21. Dan "Funny nose" Carter.
22. Jason Robinson.

OK, here goes:

1. D. R. Bedell-Sivright Scot
2. Steve Casey NZ
3. J. C. MacCallum Scot
4. Bill Cunningham NZ
5. Alex McDonald NZ
6. Charles Seeling NZ
7. Frank Glasgow NZ
8. Dave Gallaher NZ
9. Fred Roberts NZ
10. Billy Stead NZ
11. E (Teddy) Morgan Wales
12. EG Nicholls Wales
13. Henry Herbert Messenger Aus
14. George William Smith NZ
15. WJ Wallace NZ

Oh Crap ... wrong naughties ... :D

1. Os du Randt. the man, the legend.
2. Keven Mealamu - dynamic around the park but loves the tough stuff. Accurate throw and damaging ball runner. Love watching him play
3. Carl Hayman - the best prop to come out of NZ in the last ten years. excellent scrummager and loved to run with the ball. missed by the All Blacks
4. Victor Matfield - the unchallenged master of the lineout. Steals a ridiculous amount of opposition ball and is everywhere in rucks and mauls
5. Brad Thorne - just as much of an enforcer as Bakkies but less prone to getting angry and doing stupid things. His fitness and work rate round the park are supreme
6. Jerry Collins - the most feared man in international rugby. Bone-crunching enforcer and got his knob out on international TV.
7. George Smith - tough call with Richie but in a team of champions rather than a champion team I think George has the individual brilliance to match it. On his day the greatest openside the world has probably seen.
8. Sergio Parisse - a stalwart in a struggling side. Surprising pace and hands for a huge man. Parisse is an absolute monster
9. George Gregan - dictated the game and controlled the tempo for his side like no other halfback I've ever seen. Brilliant mindset and skills
10. Stephen Larkham - the greatest 9/10 combination in the history of rugby union, ever. Had a knack for doing things nobody else could.
11. Rupeni Caucaunibuca - on his day could win a game by himself. The biggest talent I've ever seen and a sad, sad story
12. Tana Umaga - brilliant leader around the park, nigh impossible to stop on the charge and a bulwark in defence. Absolute legend of the game
13. Stirling Mortlock - hard-working, no-nonsense attitude, carried the Australian team for many years. Loads of pace for a huge man. Treated horribly by the Brumbies and the ARU
14. Doug Howlett - supreme pace, vision, positioning and defence. Doug was the boss
15. Chris Latham - the biggest boot in world rugby. Australia's greatest try scorer. Intimidating last line of defence. What more could you ask for?

16. Mario Ledesma - 37 years old and still destroying people. Love him
17. Gethin Jenkins - absolutely dynamic front-row forward. Something special.
18. Simon Shaw - another oldie but goodie. Still makes the hard yards.
19. Imanol Harinordoquy - Can cover all 3 backrow positions with aplomb. Ultimate athlete with a great rugby mindset
20. Fourie du Preez - the most exciting halfback of the decade. Brilliant pace, hands, and creativity. And he's not a midget!
21. Dan Carter - stood in well to take over the reigns as King.
22. Jason Robinson - magic.

1. Os du Randt. the man, the legend.
2. Keven Mealamu - dynamic around the park but loves the tough stuff. Accurate throw and damaging ball runner. Love watching him play
3. Carl Hayman - the best prop to come out of NZ in the last ten years. excellent scrummager and loved to run with the ball. missed by the All Blacks
4. Victor Matfield - the unchallenged master of the lineout. Steals a ridiculous amount of opposition ball and is everywhere in rucks and mauls
5. Brad Thorne - just as much of an enforcer as Bakkies but less prone to getting angry and doing stupid things. His fitness and work rate round the park are supreme
6. Jerry Collins - the most feared man in international rugby. Bone-crunching enforcer and got his knob out on international TV.
7. George Smith - tough call with Richie but in a team of champions rather than a champion team I think George has the individual brilliance to match it. On his day the greatest openside the world has probably seen.
8. Sergio Parisse - a stalwart in a struggling side. Surprising pace and hands for a huge man. Parisse is an absolute monster
9. George Gregan - dictated the game and controlled the tempo for his side like no other halfback I've ever seen. Brilliant mindset and skills
10. Stephen Larkham - the greatest 9/10 combination in the history of rugby union, ever. Had a knack for doing things nobody else could.
11. Rupeni Caucaunibuca - on his day could win a game by himself. The biggest talent I've ever seen and a sad, sad story
12. Tana Umaga - brilliant leader around the park, nigh impossible to stop on the charge and a bulwark in defence. Absolute legend of the game
13. Stirling Mortlock - hard-working, no-nonsense attitude, carried the Australian team for many years. Loads of pace for a huge man. Treated horribly by the Brumbies and the ARU
14. Doug Howlett - supreme pace, vision, positioning and defence. Doug was the boss
15. Chris Latham - the biggest boot in world rugby. Australia's greatest try scorer. Intimidating last line of defence. What more could you ask for?

16. Mario Ledesma - 37 years old and still destroying people. Love him
17. Gethin Jenkins - absolutely dynamic front-row forward. Something special.
18. Simon Shaw - another oldie but goodie. Still makes the hard yards.
19. Imanol Harinordoquy - Can cover all 3 backrow positions with aplomb. Ultimate athlete with a great rugby mindset
20. Fourie du Preez - the most exciting halfback of the decade. Brilliant pace, hands, and creativity. And he's not a midget!
21. Dan Carter - stood in well to take over the reigns as King.
22. Jason Robinson - magic.

Smith ahead of McCaw? Larkham ahead of Carter? Mortlock ahead of O'Driscoll? Latham ahead of Montgomery, Cullen or Robinson?

What country are you from?

Smith ahead of McCaw? Larkham ahead of Carter? Mortlock ahead of O'Driscoll? Latham ahead of Montgomery, Cullen or Robinson?

What country are you from?

Smith v McCaw is a personal thing, Richie is a great leader and an inspirational captain but for pure aggressiveness and individual brilliance you can't go past George. Carter is clinical, Larkham magical. As an Australian I honestly have no idea why everybody rates O'Driscoll so highly, I have never seen him make an impact in a test match - though admittedly I'm unaware of his club form. Montgomery was error-riddled his entire career, and Robinson frail in defense. Cullen was an absolute genius I'll admit but for mine, Latham was the perfect fullback.

Latest posts