• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Treviso v Munster

A

An Tarbh

Ordinarily you'd say a 5 pointer for Munster but given Perpignan lost and Northampton could only manage the win that's hardly a given on Saturday.

It's not the be-all and end-all though for Munster as a home win next Friday will see them through and most likely with a home quarter final to boot.

Munster will be without Jerry Flannery as he recovers from his achilles problem while Marcus Horan won't travel to Italy despite being back in training.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 13 2010, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ordinarily you'd say a 5 pointer for Munster but given Perpignan lost and Northampton could only manage the win that's hardly a given on Saturday.

It's not the be-all and end-all though for Munster as a home win next Friday will see them through and most likely with a home quarter final to boot.

Munster will be without Jerry Flannery as he recovers from his achilles problem while Marcus Horan won't travel to Italy despite being back in training.[/b]
Well nobody in Munster is putting it down as a 5pointer. A simple 4pointer will do and then back to Thomond.

Nothing simple about Treviso. they nearly scalped Saints on their patch, they nearly scalped Munster at Thommund, they DID scalp USAP on their patch... Munster should get the points, but they best not expect it to be a cake walk.

If Treviso did the unthinkable however I'd laugh harder then seeing Tait dump-tackle Henson.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 13 2010, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Nothing simple about Treviso. they nearly scalped Saints on their patch, they nearly scalped Munster at Thommund, they DID scalp USAP on their patch... Munster should get the points, but they best not expect it to be a cake walk.

If Treviso did the unthinkable however I'd laugh harder then seeing Tait dump-tackle Henson.[/b]

Oh trust me Bullitt that what I saying we'll take a 6-5 victory just want to get out of their with the win by hook or by crook

I thought Munster won by 30 points? Hardly nearly taking a scalp. They were plucky but deserved to lose by quite a bit, and did.

If I were a Munster fan I'd be disappointed by less than a five pointer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 13 2010, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I thought Munster won by 30 points? Hardly nearly taking a scalp. They were plucky but deserved to lose by quite a bit, and did.

If I were a Munster fan I'd be disappointed by less than a five pointer.[/b]
Italians are alot harder at home and are improving on a continuous basis.
Also in the circumstances (majority not playing since mid Dec) we just know 2 wins will win the group and that our aim.

Improving based on what? Viadana were better a few years back and no one has yet to play Treviso in semi-decent weather so their lack of ability behind the pack wasn't exposed.

One flukey win in the rain doesn't make them a better team in my books.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 13 2010, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Improving based on what? Viadana were better a few years back and no one has yet to play Treviso in semi-decent weather so their lack of ability behind the pack wasn't exposed.

One flukey win in the rain doesn't make them a better team in my books.[/b]

People said that about Leinster in last years Heineken cup. I'm not saying Treviso will win the whole tournament any time soon, but it's very easy to write someone off like that.

Pride before the fall.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 13 2010, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 13 2010, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

People said that about Leinster in last years Heineken cup. I'm not saying Treviso will win the whole tournament any time soon, but it's very easy to write someone off like that.

Pride before the fall.
[/b][/quote]
Bullitt has same idea as me it like when Italy joined 6nations people said they'd be hammered but they've been improving (obviously wont win it) but are getting very competitive and that way it is like at home they beat Perpignan (French Champions) and ran Saints (Challenge Cup Champions) close now maybe some luck involved but not 100%

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 13 2010, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 13 2010, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pride before the fall.
[/b][/quote]

Not the same at all. We'd always been able to beat top class opposition but lacked the consistancy to go all the way. We were fairly consistant in getting out of our groups for a few years before (excluding the season we were drawn with Toulouse and Leicester) whereas Treviso have been cack for years and beat one of the worst supposedly big teams in Europe.

I hate the way Munster fans can say "ohhh now look if we get the win we'll be happy". If it was Leinster we'd be getting called screw ups again for not winning by 50 points.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 13 2010, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 13 2010, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pride before the fall.
[/b][/quote]

Not the same at all. We'd always been able to beat top class opposition but lacked the consistancy to go all the way. We were fairly consistant in getting out of our groups for a few years before (excluding the season we were drawn with Toulouse and Leicester) whereas Treviso have been cack for years and beat one of the worst supposedly big teams in Europe.

I hate the way Munster fans can say "ohhh now look if we get the win we'll be happy". If it was Leinster we'd be getting called screw ups again for not winning by 50 points.
[/b][/quote]
Can't agree there because either media or Leinster built themselves up in past not Munster fans etc.
Like obviously if Munster scraped a win vs Treviso then media etc will say there is massive problems but like Munster trained for 1st time in 3weeks on grass today and nearly all 1st team excluding a few have been on holiday since Perpignan game so some will be slightly rusty.
Under them CIRCUMSTANCES against a Treviso team who have fared well at home in H'Cup I don't see your point like we in a group where Bonus Points are prctically irrelevant at this stage.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Jan 13 2010, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 13 2010, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 13 2010, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pride before the fall.
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
Can't agree there because either media or Leinster built themselves up in past not Munster fans etc.
Like obviously if Munster scraped a win vs Treviso then media etc will say there is massive problems but like Munster trained for 1st time in 3weeks on grass today and nearly all 1st team excluding a few have been on holiday since Perpignan game so some will be slightly rusty.
Under them CIRCUMSTANCES against a Treviso team who have fared well at home in H'Cup I don't see your point like we in a group where Bonus Points are prctically irrelevant at this stage.
[/b][/quote]

My point is Munster should be travelling to Italy looking for 5 tries, regardless of all those obstacles. Their pack is made up 8(ish) internationals and with players of the calibre or Warwick, DeVilliers and Howlett in their backline anything less than 30 points against what is still poor opposition would be a disappointment.

As for bonus points not being important, say Saints beat Munster in Thomond. Then Munster would most certainly need an extra point or two to be in line for a best runner up spot.

Agree with your thinking Feicarsinn but this game will be mildly like a pre season game because of weather we've had an players long break.

Also if we were to get 5points (1win and 1winning/loosing BP) at worst then that'd guarantee us a runner-up spot although our aim is 9/10 points from 2 games just the point is as quoted by Jonny Sexton on another topic today we "can't force it, just do basic's"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Jan 13 2010, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Agree with your thinking Feicarsinn but this game will be mildly like a pre season game because of weather we've had an players long break.

Also if we were to get 5points (1win and 1winning/loosing BP) at worst then that'd guarantee us a runner-up spot although our aim is 9/10 points from 2 games just the point is as quoted by Jonny Sexton on another topic today we "can't force it, just do basic's"[/b]

I refuse to believe Munster haven't been training hard throughout the cold snap. You don't need a grass pitch to play a rugby game, just look at the match between the Ireland u19's and the Leinster Development team which was played on an all weather pitch. They'll have been going hard at each other, no doubt.

Worth noting as well that Treviso have lost their last two games in the Super 10. Hardly world beaters.

Munster have been training as usual on an all weather pitch over the last two weeks, it is match practice we are short of.

Munster will take a win against Treviso, while a bonus point isn't a ridiculous aspiration, Our players won't be thinking of one.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jan 13 2010, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Munster have been training as usual on an all weather pitch over the last two weeks, it is match practice we are short of.

Munster will take a win against Treviso, while a bonus point isn't a ridiculous aspiration, Our players won't be thinking of one.[/b]

the f*** they won't, they know full well that a bp win will go a long way to securing a home quarter final.

I know Munster would always back themselves to get a result anyway but they'd bite your hand off if you offered them a home qf and a bp win on Saturday makes that a more realistic prospect.

Unlikely as it is but Toulouse, the Ospreys, Biarritz and either Leinster or London Irish could all finish ahead of Munster in the final shakeup if they only get to 23 points.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 13 2010, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jan 13 2010, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Munster will take a win against Treviso, while a bonus point isn't a ridiculous aspiration, Our players won't be thinking of one.[/b]

the f*** they won't, they know full well that a bp win will go a long way to securing a home quarter final.

I know Munster would always back themselves to get a result anyway but they'd bite your hand off if you offered them a home qf and a bp win on Saturday makes that a more realistic prospect.

Unlikely as it is but Toulouse, the Ospreys, Biarritz and either Leinster or London Irish could all finish ahead of Munster in the final shakeup if they only get to 23 points.
[/b][/quote]
Munsterman said it perfectly as it was what I was trying to state.
As for a home QF 2 Wins will get them a home draw as realistcally Toulouse wont get 10points, Ospreys will struggle to get 7points to reach 23, Biarritz have home draw, and Leinster vs L.Irish whoever top that group will probably do so by getting 9points and gaining home QF.

I predict Munster, Biarritz, Leinster/L.Irish and Toulouse for Home QF.

Munster: P Warwick; D Howlett, K Earls, J de Villiers, D Hurley; T O'Leary, R O'Gara; W du Preez, D Fogarty, J Hayes, D O'Callaghan, P O'Connell; A Quinlan, N Ronan, D Wallace.
Replacements:
D Varley, S Archer, J Brugnaut, D Ryan, J Coughlan, P Stringer, L Mafi, I Dowling.

Good team with a couple of surprises on the bench where there's no place for Mick O'Driscoll or Tony Buckley. Is Buckley injured or has the penny finally dropped that he's shite?

Greeting from Italy lads :p

Must say went for trip to Venice and by god do that place stink.

Any ways happy with the team. Surprised Micko and to a lesser extent Buckley have been omitted from 23.
Surely Tom Court is guaranteed 17 shirt now in 6Nations.

Glad to see JDV at 12 as he has really started to show form and Mafi hasn't been as prolific this season.

As regards the back-row it is as I would have went as I think Ronan is a super player and Wally well capable of playing 8.
On the bench though I still unsure if Coughlan is able for this level and imagine he willl be used only if needed as Ryan will be main cover for back 5 of pack.

Will skip the game as I need to study some more for my examen on Monday. Or maybe I should sneak out and go to the pub :)

Latest posts