URC 2022 / 2023 Round 2

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Times given are GMT

Fri 23 Sept Zebre Parma v Sharks (5.30pm)
Fri 23 Sept Glasgow Warriors v Cardiff (7.35pm)
Fri 23 Sept Leinster v Benetton (7.35pm)

Sat 24 Sept Scarlets v Ulster (1pm)
Sat 24 Sept Bulls v Edinburgh (1.30pm)
Sat 24 Sept Stormers v Connacht (1.30pm)
Sat 24 Sept Ospreys v Lions (7.35pm)
Sun 25 Sept Dragons v Munster (3pm)

With the Bokke still playing I'd have expected more SA derbies. Connacht and particularly Edinburgh will fancy themselves.

The Lions don't have a single Bok I think. I'd have thought that the Sharks should still easily account for Zebre but it was touch and go for Leinster. Will be interesting to compare with how the Sharks fare without all of Nche, Mbonambi, Etzebeth, Kolisi, Hendrickse, Am and Mapimpi though TBF Am and Mbonambi are injured in any case.

Stormers have a few Bokke but we'll only REALLY miss Willemse who also is injured in any event. We'll be missing Kitshoff, Dweba, Malherbe, Moerat might be available but AFAIK Orie is but Fourie, Jantjies and of course Willemse will be unavailable.

Last edited:
Possible Stormers line-up to face Connacht might look like.. Assuming a few fringe Bokke get released..

1 Harris
2 Ntubeni
3 Fouche
4 Moerat if released
5 Orie
6 Xaba
7 Dayimani
8 Roos

9 De Wet
10 Libbok / Mnegomezulu
11 Zas
12 Du Plessis / Mnegomezulu
13 Nel
14 Senatla
15 Blommetjies / Mnegomezulu / Libbok

Venter
Vernaak / Blose
Sandi
Van Rhyn
Pokomela / Theunissen / Van Rhyn

Masimla
Wolhuter
Mnegomezulu /

Pity. I see that the Stormers fixture clashes with Bulls v Edinburgh. Those would be my first choice games to watch particularly as I see the Bulls and Edinburgh both as "direct competition". Teams I want the Stormers to beat most ardently from murder to meh;

Bulls, Sharks, Ulster, Edinburgh, Lions, Linster,

LLittle bit of daylight

Benetton, Munster, Glasgow

I hardly know who else is competing though I know that the top Welsh sides will have to be looked out for they don't register yet in my mind as yet after I expect they underperformed last season and I haven't known much about them beforehand in any case. Pre URC teams I knew a little about were mostly the sides that included SA players (so Munster and the Scots sides) and then Leinster and Benetton.

Last edited:
Starting off 0-2 could be a confidence buster, so Glasgow better win at home against Cardiff. 🏉 We Are Warriors!

1663579963905.png

Won't get to watch on Friday again, to be honest the club season has come round too early for me to be massively interested anyway. We'd better watch ourselves here though, Benetton could take us if we're as lousy as Saturday sounded.

Quite worried for the upcoming season, teams will be out to get us and I fear our coaching ticket has gone stale and lost a serious operator in Felipe. Top 4 should be fine and Euro QFs but I wouldn't back us beyond that point at all. I'd almost back Ulster to be the best Irish team this year.

I'd expect Ospreys to beat Lions at home. Hopefully Scarlets can beat Ulster at home too, but it'll be a close game I think. Given this weekends results I'm also hopeful for Cardiff away at Glasgow. My hope for an improved Dragons was misplaced, so Munster will probably beat them handily!

8 fixtures and probably only the Leinster one where I'd make someone 70% favourite. Lovely.

Update for Stormers is Moerat, Dweba and Willemse have been released BUT will be unavailable till next week vs Edinburgh. Nel and Zas unavailable. Nel might be ready next week but Zas unlikely so those 5 front liners on top of our Bok players being unavailable will mean Connacht are going to fancy their chances though I'll back us for a close fought W.

The Sharks missing a few boks but will still have a front row of Mchunu. Thomas du Toit and Carlu Sadie on the bench. That is a massive front row.

Grant Williams at scrumhalf

Rohan Janse van Rensburg in the midfield

Fassi at fullback.

Possible Stormers line-up to face Connacht might look like.. Assuming a few fringe Bokke get released..

1 Harris
2 Ntubeni
3 Fouche
4 Moerat if released
5 Orie
6 Xaba
7 Dayimani
8 Roos

9 De Wet
10 Libbok / Mnegomezulu
11 Zas
12 Du Plessis / Mnegomezulu
13 Nel
14 Senatla
15 Blommetjies / Mnegomezulu / Libbok

Venter
Vernaak / Blose
Sandi
Van Rhyn
Pokomela / Theunissen / Van Rhyn

Masimla
Wolhuter
Mnegomezulu /

Pity. I see that the Stormers fixture clashes with Bulls v Edinburgh. Those would be my first choice games to watch particularly as I see the Bulls and Edinburgh both as "direct competition". Teams I want the Stormers to beat most ardently from murder to meh;

Bulls, Sharks, Ulster, Edinburgh, Lions, Linster,

LLittle bit of daylight

Benetton, Munster, Glasgow

I hardly know who else is competing though I know that the top Welsh sides will have to be looked out for they don't register yet in my mind as yet after I expect they underperformed last season and I haven't known much about them beforehand in any case. Pre URC teams I knew a little about were mostly the sides that included SA players (so Munster and the Scots sides) and then Leinster and Benetton.
I would rather play Kade on flyhalf. With Mnegomezulu at 12. Manie had a good season but Kade is a much better all round flyhalf

The Sharks missing a few boks but will still have a front row of Mchunu. Thomas du Toit and Carlu Sadie on the bench. That is a massive front row.

Grant Williams at scrumhalf

Rohan Janse van Rensburg in the midfield

Fassi at fullback.
I saw. I really rate the Sharks' pick ups of Sadie and Tsituka. I'd almost be unhappy that TdT is captain because I'd want to get Sadie in there scrumming. How do you feel about 1TdT, 2 Mbatha, 3Sadie? I suppose its good simply to have the option open. Mchunu was class in URC last season. Do you know why Tsituka is unavailable?
I would rather play Kade on flyhalf. With Mnegomezulu at 12. Manie had a good season but Kade is a much better all round flyhalf
Ja, Kade is my long term hope. Sad he was out so long. But I doubt they'll throw him straight in ahead of Libbok just for the sake of consistency unless we are going to see 10 Wolhuter, 12 Mngomezulu, 15 Libbok which would be awesome even if a step down from 12 Willemse, 15 Gelant. I have no idea where Willemse will slot in or even if his Bok duties have any sort of bearing on his Stormers role.

I saw. I really rate the Sharks' pick ups of Sadie and Tsituka. I'd almost be unhappy that TdT is captain because I'd want to get Sadie in there scrumming. How do you feel about 1TdT, 2 Mbatha, 3Sadie? I suppose its good simply to have the option open. Mchunu was class in URC last season. Do you know why Tsituka is unavailable?

Ja, Kade is my long term hope. Sad he was out so long. But I doubt they'll throw him straight in ahead of Libbok just for the sake of consistency unless we are going to see 10 Wolhuter, 12 Mngomezulu, 15 Libbok which would be awesome even if a step down from 12 Willemse, 15 Gelant. I have no idea where Willemse will slot in or even if his Bok duties have any sort of bearing on his Stormers role.
Tsituka had a shoulder operation. Out for 4 weeks I think. Thomas on the loose and sadie at TH would be insane. But damn Mchunu is a talent. Either way I would be happy but want to see Mchunu get plenty of gametime this season.

They played Kade in both pre season games not sure how long but he started both games. Kade. Sacha and manie at the back can be lethal.

Tsituka had a shoulder operation. Out for 4 weeks I think. Thomas on the loose and sadie at TH would be insane. But damn Mchunu is a talent. Either way I would be happy but want to see Mchunu get plenty of gametime this season.

They played Kade in both pre season games not sure how long but he started both games. Kade. Sacha and manie at the back can be lethal.
Yeah, the utility to be able to shuffle players around is nice to have- Sharks with those world class props and our fringe backs.

Not yet being actual test staples is a bonus in that we don't lose them to the Bokke YET they are in the discussion so they will be hungry to keep proving themselves able to play test rugby. Good place to be ITO your player personel.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Jimmy O'Brien (53)
14. Jordan Larmour (74)
13. Garry Ringrose (102) CAPTAIN
12. Robbie Henshaw (68)
11. Dave Kearney (174)
10. Ciarán Frawley (57)
9. Luke McGrath (176)
1. Andrew Porter (91)
2. Dan Sheehan (29)
3. Michael Ala'alatoa (26)
4. Jason Jenkins (1)
5. James Ryan (58)
6. Ryan Baird (38)
7. Josh van der Flier (114)
8. Caelan Doris (55)

16. RĂłnan Kelleher (37)
17. Ed Byrne (86)
18. Cian Healy (249)
19. Ross Molony (140)
20. Will Connors (26)
21. Cormac Foley (5)
22. Ross Byrne (129)
23. Charlie Ngatai (1)

Referee: Jaco Peyper (SARU)

Sexy team, sexy 10.

That should ease some nerves re weakened teams on account of the Emerging Ireland tour.

Referee: Jaco Peyper (SARU)

Sexy team, sexy 10.

That should ease some nerves re weakened teams on account of the Emerging Ireland tour.
I wouldn't be that sure of myself.....Jaco to red card either Ringrose or Henshaw within first 10 minutes for being ugly.

A wise move to wheel out the big guns against Italians and save the bairns for routine URC wins on trips to SA. :p

So the Zebre improvement is not quite so encouraging for Italian rugby overall as I thought. Looking at their lineups they have switched from being a kind of Italian focussed development squad to one willing to play quite a few seemingly non-Italian Q players (e.g. English halfbacks).

I support this as I'd rather have 15 Italians in a 23 competing in matches than 23 Italians getting hammered. It is likely a recipe to prove more popular with fans too. Conversely Benetton seem to be shifting to be more Italian focussed, which is definitely a good sign as they'd be less inclined to pick an Italian over a non-Italian if the latter was better.

Glasgow Warriors: Cole Forbes, Sebastian Cancelliere, Sione Tuipulotu, Stafford McDowall, Kyle Steyn (CAPT), Tom Jordan, George Horne; Jamie Bhatti, Fraser Brown, Zander Fagerson, Scott Cummings, Richie Gray, Matt Fagerson, Rory Darge, Jack Dempsey

Replacements: George Turner, Oli Kebble, Lucio Sordoni, JP du Preez, Sintu Manjezi, Thomas Gordon, Ali Price, Domingo Miotti

Cardiff: Matthew Morgan; Aled Summerhill, Mason Grady, Max Llewellyn, Josh Adams; Jarrod Evans, Tomos Williams; Rhys Carré, Kristian Dacey, Dillon Lewis, Josh Turnbull (capt.), Seb Davies, James Botham, Thomas Young, James Ratti.

Replacements : Liam Belcher, Brad Thyer, Keiron Assiratti, Matthew Screech, Lopeti Timani, Lloyd Williams, Rhys Priestland, Uilisi Halaholo

Latest posts