• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales Tour 2013: Japan

Brew has done nothing with Biarritz,.

Sorry to disagree...he has done very well for his first season in a side that does not recognise people past 9 as a rule....he has tackled well, he has backed up,picked some good running angles but unfortunately never recieved the ball to complete, and he has had a few good runs.

Although not in Zee's class, there are a lot of players I would like seen gone from Biarritz before Aled and could see him continue his INternational career ahead of a lot of players! Do not think he would let anyone down...................

Last edited:
Brew has done nothing with Biarritz, Being so far away, he doesn't have a chance.

Yes, apart from setting up match winning tries against Toulouse ...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RQsAbLD57ww#t=303" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Anyway, what exactly has Liam Williams, Harry Robinson, Will Harries, Tom Prydie done of late that's better?

I thought Aaron Warren looked decent.

Is a centre, and can't get past Gareth Maule at the Scarlets.

Rumour is that Dafydd Howells has caught the eyes of the staff. He is just out of primary school so I can believe it.

Talking of giving away cheap undeserved caps to kids. If this happens it would take the mick of all proven regional level wingers. This kid has only played LV Cup for the Ospreys, and a quick search says he has only played 2 Principality Premiership matches (http://www.neathrugby.co.uk/Teams/Player/?PersonId=154969). No way can he be called up on that.

And before anybody says "George North was fast tracked as a kid", well North had become a first choice at his region and scored like 4 tries in his first month of professional rugby. Not comparable. Even Prydie was at least getting more Principality Premiership time than this kid. I really hope that rumour isn't true.

Pah! He's a classy player. Every other country does it, so I will have no problem seeing Dirksen in a Welsh shirt if he chooses. He's learning Welsh as well, so he's making a big effort to integrate.

That's not the point. I have a problem with the IRB rules allowing him to be eligible despite the fact he has already played for the USA senior team against Munster.

Is a centre, and can't get past Gareth Maule at the Scarlets.

You're thinking of Adam Warren. Aaron Warren is his younger brother I think, played on the wing for the U20's and scored a few nice try's. The likes of Kristian Phillips looked better at his age though, and he's gone on to be a bit of a flop.

You're thinking of Adam Warren. Aaron Warren is his younger brother I think, played on the wing for the U20's and scored a few nice try's. The likes of Kristian Phillips looked better at his age though, and he's gone on to be a bit of a flop.

Kristian Phillips is a good example as to why you shouldn't cap players on U18 performances. Phillips has done nothing at adult rugby.

Think Dafydd Howells will grow to be a very similar player to Leigh Halfpenny: quite short, scrum cap wearing and goalkicking back three player

With regards to Munster v USA, uncapped tour match, shouldn't matter.
Adam Warren was a pointless cap, but Aaron looks decent. We will have to wait and see.
At least K-Fizz was never capped!

As far as Brew goes, I loved him for the Dragons, but I just don't think he would ever be a full international class player. We could do much worse than him, and I'd pick him over Liam. I loved the clip of North scoring v Namibia and everybody on the bench cheering except Brew, who was looking away. Poaching Basque-Frenchmen ;) [/jimmyrustling]

Psychic Duck's back future Welsh back three: Hanno Dirksen, Liam Williams, Kristian Phillips ;)
Dull's: Gavin Evans, Gavin Evans, Gavin Evans

Last edited:
Think Dafydd Howells will grow to be a very similar player to Leigh Halfpenny: quite short, scrum cap wearing and goalkicking back three player

How an earth have you come to that conclusion when he has played just 4 games of adult rugby with the Ospreys and Neath? Being a scrum cap wearing, goal kicking back three player doesn't mean you will be as good as Leigh Halfpenny. Just ask Earl Rose ...

With regards to Munster v USA, uncapped tour match, shouldn't matter.

It's the stupidness of the IRB second team system that annoys me. Look at the official IRB list of designated second teams (http://www.irb.com/mm/Document/Laws...iorNationalRepresentativeTeamatJune132012.pdf). On it you will see that Pampas XV feature on the list. To me it is stupid that a player can locked to a nation playing against the Border Bulldogs in the Vodacom Cup, but not playing for the actual USA side alongside the likes of Todd Clever against Munster.

At least K-Fizz was never capped!

He came very close though. Even ScarletFever regard him as a flop.

As far as Brew goes, I loved him for the Dragons, but I just don't think he would ever be a full international class player.

Maybe, but he is a better player at club level than the others so why should he see players who haven't achieved nearly as much as he has get selected ahead of him? And what makes a player who can't match Brew at club level likely to be better at international. Brew has scored more tries at domestic level than any other Welsh qualified winger now Shane has retired, and he's only 26 despite being around for ages.

Here's that pic you were talking about btw.

Snapshot+1+%252805-02-2013+16-06%2529.png

That's not the point. I have a problem with the IRB rules allowing him to be eligible despite the fact he has already played for the USA senior team against Munster.
In a friendly, when he was 17? Also, maybe the only reason he played those matches was because he knew that it didn't lock him in as a US player? Also, if the rules change, then it should apply from when the rules change, not to the past. Otherwise it's penalising people retrospectively.

But this is besides the point because no player should be locked into a nationality at 17 imo.

In a friendly, when he was 17? Also, maybe the only reason he played those matches was because he knew that it didn't lock him in as a US player? Also, if the rules change, then it should apply from when the rules change, not to the past. Otherwise it's penalising people retrospectively.

But this is besides the point because no player should be locked into a nationality at 17 imo.

Nope. Dirksen was seen as one of the brightest young talents in USA rugby, played U17 and U18, got awarded with a special talent fund by USA rugby and then he was fast tracked into the senior squad. Unfortunately for the USA, they had Scott Johnson as head coach at the time in an ill fated short stint he had. He then quit USA to join the Ospreys and took Dirksen with him, so if the USA had appointed another coach then Dirksen would be playing for the USA alongside his brother. The prospect of playing for another nation wouldn't have been considered at the time he was picked.

The rules for second teams are a joke, and to I disklike U20 teams being used as "second teams" as well. But it is silly how someone playing against Agen for the Bucharest Wolves in the Amlin Challenge Cup can be locked to Romania, but someone actually playing for the USA senior side against Munster isn't. It should be one rule for all, ie all U20 teams lock players to a nation or none do, not the current thing where Wales U20 will lock players to Wales, but if you play England U20 you can play elsewhere.

Yuuuup......that is cos we can only afford the Welsh players!!

Don't worry you can apparently afford young Irish tightheads. A guy called James Harrison will be playing for you next year it seems!

Methinks that is the fourth prop rumoured to be coming........has he played any 1st class games as cannot find any stats on him?

Methinks that is the fourth prop rumoured to be coming........has he played any 1st class games as cannot find any stats on him?

Only 20 or so was with Ulster u20's. Believe his dad is a former French international.

Only 20 or so was with Ulster u20's. Believe his dad is a former French international.

Ah....that is why we can afford him......let us hope he has a steady head on him and does not get carried away with the lifestyle as, it is rumoured some of the other young players have been!!

It is good that they are building for the future and they have some good young ones coming through.....just hope they get a few older ones in time to make sure the young ones have a club to play for in the top division when they are ready......getting more competitive this here game!!

How has a thread about Wales' tour of Japan ended up being about young Irish props?

How has a thread about Wales' tour of Japan ended up being about young Irish props?

Cause everyone prefers talking about Ireland. :p Not as bad as the 2nd best outhalf thread.

Anyway sorry about that lads. Carry on.

If Carlsberg did tours of Japan..........they would be Irish!!

Sorry....but we were just having a nice little chat!!

****, we've been Irished.
Every time a Welsh thread gets Irished I'm going to post Mike Phillips' try in 2011.

Considering the US have a pick-and-mix backline, I won't shed a tear for them. ;)

O/T. South Africa have replaced the Emerging Springboks with U20 as second team. English-qualified WP back Timo Swiel has withdrawn due to this.

What the hell is an outhalf BTW? I might have to put an autocorrect in, as that word isn't real.

Latest posts