Giteau, Matt WF 29.9.82 178 85 51 259
Hynes, Peter QLD 18.7.82 180 92 0 0
Ioane, Digby QLD 14.7.85 179 94 1 5
Mortlock, Stirling Brum 20.5.77 191 102 63 463
Sheehan, Brett NSW 16.9.79 173 90 1 0
Shepherd, Cameron WF 30.3.84 189 97 6 19
Tuqiri, Lote NSW 23.9.79 191 104 58 140
Turner, Lachie NSW 11.5.87 189 88 0 0

Unless I'm blind I don't see Mitchell in the squad :) Dunning has been selected for the squad :lol: seriously anybody must be better than dunning.ANYBODY>>>>>>Dunning

hmm interesting backline choices....

in particular turner, hynes, ioane and cordingley

also, mark gerrard and scott staniforth omitted from last years squad. i thought gerrard would be a shoe in for the sqaud.

also burgess, cordingley and sheehan selected. do you really need 3 scrum halves? i would have thought cordingley would have been overlooked because of his age.

I have some issues here...

Al Baxter, Brett Sheehan, Lachie Turner and Digby Ioane.

I'd substitute those guys for Shepherdson, Lucas, Gerrard and Tyrone Smith.

Baxter is useless and should be sent back to club rugby.

Sheehan is surely the kind of player to cost the Wallabies a match with his stupidity.

Aside from the final, Turner has done NOTHING all year. And Ioane has just done plain nothing all year, except for being suspended for half of the season.

I'm glad to see Alexander given a chance. I've been calling for him to get a starting spot in the Brumbies.

Thankfully the selectors were sensible and have given Mortlock the captaincy.

However, there'll surely be changes when Vickerman, Mitchell, Staniforth and Greg Holmes are fit again.

I'm a bit dissapointed with the backline choices, and it's quite odd to have 3 halfbacks in a 13 man backline selection.

The injury list

2007 World Cup squad players not considered for selection due to injury:

Holmes, Greg QLD 11.6.83 183 112 13 10

Latham, Chris QLD 8.9.75 193. 102. 78. 200

Mitchell, Drew WF 26.3.84 182 92 21 70

McMeniman, Hugh QLD 1.11.83 200 114 12 0

Staniforth, Scott WF 12.12.77 188 99 12 35

Vickerman, Dan NSW 4.6.79 204 115 52 0

Players also not considered for selection in the Qantas Wallabies squad or the Australia A squad due to injury:

PLAYER Super 14 Team

Carter, Tom NSW

Edwards, Dayna QLD

Fava, Scott WF

Hockings, Tom WF

Horua, Tamaiti WF

Kepu, Sekope NSW

Lealiifano, Christian Brumbies

Roe, John QLD

Schifcofske, Clinton QLD

Va’aulu, Brando QLD

The Reds and Brumbies get more players then the Force despite thier respective positions on the table? Bunch of jokers these selectors...I expect Mitchell to slot right in as soon as he is fit.

The Reds and Brumbies get more players then the Force despite thier respective positions on the table? Bunch of jokers these selectors...I expect Mitchell to slot right in as soon as he is fit.
[/b]

Well, all the Force players who would be in contention are all there with Mitchell and Staniforth probably coming back in when they're fit.

The Brumbies were unlucky not to have a few extra players in there.

Thanks to Shepherdson not selected we have to settle for an all Waratahs front row. They couldn't even match it with the Crusaders, how are we going to go against the All Blacks and Springboks?!!?

The Waratahs were expected to dominate the squad but there's a few names who should definately not be there.

I'm looking at you Al Baxter. Worst Australian player of the professional era? Possibly up there with Steve Kefu. Unfortunately Baxter looks like he'll be back in the squad. Will the selectors ever learn!?

I'm blaming Foley. He probably should've got the axe along with the rest of Connolly's assistants. He was the reason that the best hooker in Australia last year - Jeremy Paul, didn't play for the Wallabies.

WHAT THE f*** IS BAXTER AND DUNNING DOING IN THE TEAM????? f***!

As said 3 halfbacks picked is strange.. but to pick Cordinly ahead of Ben Lucas? Cordinly is too old, going to Europe, hardly been great when hes played, Lucas had to be given a go. Sheehan?

Apart from that I reckon its a pretty good squad, not even Pocock made it. I reckon picking Hynes and Ioane are good desicions especially Hynes whos played well, I know Ioane had a terrible S14 with injury and suspension, but the kids a big talent and has played well in super 14 past few years and his wallaby debut last year was awesome.

Who selected these players? Did Deans get a chance to have a say?
[/b]

Apparently Pat Howard (ARU High Performance Manager) was selecting the initial squad for the Ireland and France tests because of Deans et al commitment to other clubs.

Surely they can't be serious about Al Baxter?! Why is it that everyone else on the planet except for the ARU realises he's terrible!?

I'm still in shock...

Not from what I hear... his responsibilities with Canterbury has meant his involvement with selection has been minimal unfortunately.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Apparently Pat Howard (ARU High Performance Manager) was selecting the initial squad for the Ireland and France tests because of Deans et al commitment to other clubs.

Surely they can't be serious about Al Baxter?! Why is it that everyone else on the planet except for the ARU realises he's terrible!?

I'm still in shock...
[/b][/quote]

As am I. But I have come to wonder, DO Australia have anyone else better than him? Besides the others that are already included, that is?

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

I'm still in shock...
[/b][/quote]

As am I. But I have come to wonder, DO Australia have anyone else better than him? Besides the others that are already included, that is?
[/b][/quote]

Shepherdson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Baxter

I would at least hope that when Holmes is fit he'll knock out Baxter. Anyone but Baxter!

I look forward to the referee repeatedly signalling that Baxter has gone straight to ground. Excellent.

Pretty interesting squad. I believe picking Ioane was a good decision, he has the potential to be Australia's premier winger so I think that choice is justified. The additions of Baxter and Dunning are a worry, but really we are limited in the choice of props in this country. There was always going to be a big Sydney influence on this squad.

My major concern is why Kurtley Beale and Quade Cooper weren't selected in the Australia A squad. Is this something to do with the u/20 World Cup?

My major concern is why Kurtley Beale and Quade Cooper weren't selected in the Australia A squad. Is this something to do with the u/20 World Cup? [/b]

Yep - Cooper, Beale, Horne, and Pocock are all going to under 20 world cup, though I hear that Beale has an ankle injury and he may be ruled out for the tournament...

<div class='quotemain'>
i wanna know why mark gerrard wasn't picked!
[/b]

Yea same its asotinishing, he has been one of the Brumbies stand out players for years.
[/b][/quote]

I wonder if this will be amended when a squad is picked for the Tri Nations.

At the moment they've really only good one quality fullback with Shepherd in the squad. AAC is better suited for the centres or wing, and Turner hasn't really impressed me too much at fullback.

I would think Deans would like someone with Gerrard's qualities as he's got such a great kicking game and is a good, strong counter attack runner.

At the moment you'd think the team for the first test would look something like this (based on who has been selected) -

1. Robinson
2. Polata-Nau
3. Dunning (ugh!)
4. Chisholm
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom
7. Smith
8. Palu
9. Burgess
10. Giteau
11. Tuqiri
12. Barnes
13. Mortlock ©
14. Ashley-Cooper
15. Shepherd

16. Moore
17. Baxter (should've played his last test in 2005)
18. Mumm
19. Waugh
20. Cordingley
21. Cross
22. Hynes

Who is worse out of Dunning or Al Baxter???????
[/b]

I'd say Baxter.

Dunning shows potential at times, and can cover both sides of the scrum (even if he's not that good), but Baxter is consistently useless and is always hitting the dirt.

i wanna know why mark gerrard wasn't picked![/b]
Look at how he played against the Force, that's how he plays in the big international games...consistent generally but when it comes to the crunch he turns to water most of the time....Shepherd is a better prospect.

Latest posts