• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

War in Israel

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Dec 30 2008, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Dec 30 2008, 03:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i too have a general loathing of the idea of israel, still not going to recognise it as a legitimate country, ya cant make me. Anyway i think this conflict traces back to the war with the lebannon(sp?) which the israelis came out of looking quite poor and seem to be seeking revenge of some sorts. In my opinion its only a matter of time until they seriously **** off the turks of iranians and it gets very serious in that part of the world[/b]

Relations between Turkey and Israel are quite good actually. Iran is a different story.

The people who are suffering here are again the Palestinian, they didn't help their cause by voting in favour of the Hamas. The PLO although very corrupted looks like being a more reasonable force to negotiate with.
[/b][/quote]

I was going to point out that if the civilian Government of Turkey gave anything approaching monetary or material support to Hamas or Hezbollah, the (secular and pro western) Turkish Army would put a coup into motion quicker than you can say "Ataturk thinks the Euro is g*sh". Turkey's support for Hamas is sympathetic empty rhetoric, nothing else.

Palestine is in a toughie as Shtove points out. But this is what happens to a people denied the right to exist in what is their land as well. The state of Israel may have come about through the short sighted thoughts of incompetent Liberal Party grandees but the fact is that it is there. The writing on the wall was there in the late 1920s when the first boatloads of Europe's Jewish community came to Palestine and streams of the Jewish Community of the Soviet states flowed down from the north and the east through the Lebanon and Syria. What set in motion the now endless cycle were four things: the inability of the major powers of the world to either halt or even control events on the ground in Palestine, the inability of the Jewish community to accept a state shared with the Palestinians, the inability of the Palestinians to accept a state shared with the Jewish Community and the inability of the Arab nations surrounding Palestine to accept an independent Palestine period. Don't forget that both Egypt and Syria had designs on the north and south of Palestine whilst Jordan wanted to carve up parts of what is now the West Bank.

The PLO came about as Palestinian hopes funded and cynically manipulated by the Arab nations who were in themselves being fiddled by the Soviet Union. Israel itself meanwhile was quite happy to play the likes of Britain, France and the United States off each other in order to acheive its aims.

Since then, things have descended out of control. It is now at a point where nobody can quite remember at what point who did what to whom. Everyone knows about the exiled Palestinians, the Golan Heights and the West Bank Wall but that has all been clouded by *** for tat outbreaks of minor conflict which has only served to kill and create misery for Jew and Arab alike. What the likes of Hamas, Islamic Jihad and the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades have done since 2000 has done more to set back progress towards an independent Palestinian state, the right of return and so on than anything the PLO had done.

Israel on the other hand, whilst they undeniably have the right to defend themselves, have to remember that they have had a major role in the downfall of the roadmap and the Oslo Accords. Things such as unrestrained building in the West Bank and a botched invasion of Southern Lebanon tinged with frankly obscene flights of fantasy by Israel's Air Force Generals have wrecked any kind of progress from the Israeli side of things. Olmert's decision to send the troops and planes into Southern Lebanon as well as his alleged corruption means that Kadima faces the serious possibility of losing against a revitalised Likud party...with the prospect of the montorous and bigoted Binyamin Netanyahu taking power once more. Yeah, nice one Ehud.

Now when I say "bigoted" I don't mean against Arabs. What I mean is that the both him and his father have time and time again disproved the theory that there is no such thing as racism between Jews. When in the Army, Binyamin always dismissed the African Jews as something nearing sub-human and insisted that they be commanded by European Jewish Officers, saying that they couldn't be trusted. The guy is a very nasty article. Lightyears away from his dead Brother Yoni who died during Operation Entebbe who was actually quite liberal and gentle in comparison.

Anyway, thats what I think, so nyah! :p

Bush is an Idiot supporting war in Israel

I understand Israel people but SUPPORTING WAR??!!!! he is idiot

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Dec 30 2008, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Dec 30 2008, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im not particularly pro-Israel but as a westerner I feel more sympathy for their cause.[/b]

:cryy:

And the Israelis don't need to show strength at all, the last time an Arab nation had any military power they invaded Kuwait, not Israel... the Turks invaded Kurdistan, not Israel. Other Arab nations are more interested in their own problems; it's the terrorist groups that Israel have to worry about, and as we saw in Lebanon and we're seeing in Gaza, they don't amount to anything more than suicide bombers and rockets. Nothing next to a well-equipped army. Israel's "me against the world" argument ran out long ago.
[/b][/quote]

Neither Turks nor Kurds are Arab you know? Actually Turkey and Israel have good relations. I was wondering why Arab countries should show more solidarity than what European countries have shown when there were troubles in Europe?

Because most of Europe insists on doing incredibly dogmatic and short-sighted things such as recognise Kosovan indepence when they know full well that there are EU members who have serious seperatist movements such as Spain who could only hold their head in their hands and weep bitter tears of anger and dismay as the likes of Britain, Germany and France rumble off to join the "recognise Kosovo" bandwagon.

Europe never has a joint position on anything because it doesn't think as a collective whole. I could think of a few examples recently (Eastern Europe vs France, Germany and Italy over Russia) and one or two extreme examples from the past (such as France arming and aiding a nation when that nation was at war with one of France's EU Partners...) but then I'd go even more off topic than I already have...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jan 5 2009, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Europe never has a joint position on anything because it doesn't think as a collective whole. I could think of a few examples recently (Eastern Europe vs France, Germany and Italy over Russia) and one or two extreme examples from the past (such as France arming and aiding a nation when that nation was at war with one of France's EU Partners...) but then I'd go even more off topic than I already have...[/b]

Europe is never to join each-other and it comes everybody drives their way

War in Israel is better to be stopped

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jan 5 2009, 04:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Because most of Europe insists on doing incredibly dogmatic and short-sighted things such as recognise Kosovan indepence when they know full well that there are EU members who have serious seperatist movements such as Spain who could only hold their head in their hands and weep bitter tears of anger and dismay as the likes of Britain, Germany and France rumble off to join the "recognise Kosovo" bandwagon.

Europe never has a joint position on anything because it doesn't think as a collective whole. I could think of a few examples recently (Eastern Europe vs France, Germany and Italy over Russia) and one or two extreme examples from the past (such as France arming and aiding a nation when that nation was at war with one of France's EU Partners...) but then I'd go even more off topic than I already have...[/b]

My point was that I don't understand why Arab world should be more collective than Europe which I cited as an example not really to trigger the usual Euro scepticism comments.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Jan 5 2009, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Dec 30 2008, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Dec 30 2008, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im not particularly pro-Israel but as a westerner I feel more sympathy for their cause.[/b]

:cryy:

And the Israelis don't need to show strength at all, the last time an Arab nation had any military power they invaded Kuwait, not Israel... the Turks invaded Kurdistan, not Israel. Other Arab nations are more interested in their own problems; it's the terrorist groups that Israel have to worry about, and as we saw in Lebanon and we're seeing in Gaza, they don't amount to anything more than suicide bombers and rockets. Nothing next to a well-equipped army. Israel's "me against the world" argument ran out long ago.
[/b][/quote]

Neither Turks nor Kurds are Arab you know? Actually Turkey and Israel have good relations. I was wondering why Arab countries should show more solidarity than what European countries have shown when there were troubles in Europe?
[/b][/quote]

You're right, but either are Iran but they're all muslim countries which is basically what the term 'Arab' has come to mean.

I'm not saying the Arab countries should show solidarity at all; It's just that Israel seems to have this attitude that the rest of the Middle East is against them when in actual fact it's only really extremist groups who ever threaten Israel. This war is on Hamas, not Palestine. 2006 was on Hezbollah, not Lebanon. Not that it's a good idea to try and compare but I see it as similar to Britain crippling the Republic of Ireland in order to flush out the IRA.

As for European solidarity, isn't it great! Europe spends 000s of years at war which all climax in the 20th Century, and now we're all friendly with each other. People moan about bickering in Brussels but in the past those sort of arguments have drawn blood.

If England was being attacked by up to 90 rockets a day I would hope that we would retaliate. Dont you?
This is the reason for this ground offensive. Totally justified!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Jan 5 2009, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If England was being attacked by up to 90 rockets a day I would hope that we would retaliate. Dont you?
This is the reason for this ground offensive. Totally justified![/b]

If England (or any other country) was attacked bu ONE rocket a day the government would make an retaliation immediately!!!!!!

Is Muslim says: "if you are not Muslim you are the enemy of mine and that of my God" what you have to do?

Become a Muslim immediately?????

And after a day or two he is firing your city with Grad-Katyusha system rockets (bought from Russia on Black-Market), what are you going to do??? sit and wait until how he decides to stop???

But still any war is against the people and I am against the war as I am for the people!

This sounds foolish but for me it is true

gaza_3_458592a.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Jan 5 2009, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My point was that I don't understand why Arab world should be more collective than Europe which I cited as an example not really to trigger the usual Euro scepticism comments.[/b]

Well what do you want me to say? Europe is disunited as a whole because it doesn't have one concurrent cultural connection of cause d'etiere. The Arab world however certainly does, specifically over Israel being there on what it envisions as its turf and general Western policy towards the region period. It tends to galvanise popular support across the Middle East.

The splits in the Arab world are far more subtle with a delacate balance between the Sunni Arab nations of Saudi Arabia, Jordan, etc and the Shia nations like Iran and so forth. But on the whole Israel and Palestine is the cause which unifies the lot.

Europe has none of that and as such, fractures easily which makes such ideas as a Common European Foreign Policy and Defence Policy laughable at best.

You can't sugarcoat these things. Eurocrats smothering what are legitimate concerns about Franco-German-Italian appeasement of Russia with "blah blah blah, Euro Sceptics" harms the European Union by marginalising Eastern Europe and basically saying to them "look, we're not going to do anything because Paris, Berlin and Rome have their noses deep within Putin's trough. If you don't like it, go whistle for your EU funding next fiscal year.."

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jan 5 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Jan 5 2009, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My point was that I don't understand why Arab world should be more collective than Europe which I cited as an example not really to trigger the usual Euro scepticism comments.[/b]

Well what do you want me to say? Europe is disunited as a whole because it doesn't have one concurrent cultural connection of cause d'etiere. The Arab world however certainly does, specifically over Israel being there on what it envisions as its turf and general Western policy towards the region period. It tends to galvanise popular support across the Middle East.

The splits in the Arab world are far more subtle with a delacate balance between the Sunni Arab nations of Saudi Arabia, Jordan, etc and the Shia nations like Iran and so forth. But on the whole Israel and Palestine is the cause which unifies the lot.

Europe has none of that and as such, fractures easily which makes such ideas as a Common European Foreign Policy and Defence Policy laughable at best.

You can't sugarcoat these things. Eurocrats smothering what are legitimate concerns about Franco-German-Italian appeasement of Russia with "blah blah blah, Euro Sceptics" harms the European Union by marginalising Eastern Europe and basically saying to them "look, we're not going to do anything because Paris, Berlin and Rome have their noses deep within Putin's trough. If you don't like it, go whistle for your EU funding next fiscal year.."
[/b][/quote]

I can understand your view and even agree with some of your comments but what's the point with the current discussion about Israel?

My point was that Arab countries have of course some remote cultural commonalities but it is far less uniform than it is often presented.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Jan 5 2009, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Not by bombing civilian buildings, shelling major communication lines and basically attempting to cripple an entire region.

Violence does not solve violence. Two wrongs don't make a right. You learn that in primary school.

Perhaps if Israel tried a peaceful, adult tactic then maybe the Palestinian people would think maybe Hamas is the cause of their problems, not Israel.

I underlined those because I'm not saying that will work either; but it's the opposite to what's going on now and no one's ever tried it.

At the moment Israel are behaving like glorified gangsters. They think that by causing as much havoc as possible that they will send a message to their enemies. Anyone with a basic knowledge of history/ psychology would realise people cannot be beaten into submission that easily.

"You seem to be forgetting that poor little Hamas and the Palestinians are backed up by other nations who want to see the destruction of Israel. Its easy to take the side of Palestine as the underdog but Israel are surrounded by their enemies and they have to show strength."

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Jan 6 2009, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Well done son, you've learned ur lesson well, the media is doing a good job... Use just a little bit of critical thinking, that will make you human instead of being a clone...

this retaliation is NOT justified, but when you think about it, Israel (Zion) always behaved this way... M16 vs. Rocks, Use of guided Missile to get rid of a guy in a wheelchair (remember the attacks on Arafat?) and now that...

Re your coment about Palestine (what's left of it) being supported by other nations... LMFO! Israel is backed by the US, England, France. That's already 3 of the top 10 armies in the World... compared to Lebanon, Iran, and maybe Egypt... you see the difference don't you? or you just got too much Sh*t numbing your grey cells?

Can't you see Israel is US soil in the middle east? Can't you see that there's no Israel as such and that the Zionist doctrine is as forceful as Hamas or Al Qaeda (the group, not the CIA database), that's ethnic purification, that's f#cking disgusting.

Isrealies and Palestinians DO NOT hate eachother, before the massive exodus of Israelis that started back in the 20's (Yes, much before 1948) there was no real problem, and even tho Palestinians were in greater numbers, they never used oppression like the Zionist Gvt does. Let's not forget that 99% of the gvt that follow Shimon Peres and Itzac Rabin have been extreme-right gvt.

If an extreme-right gvt took control in France, England, the US or Russia, don't you think the international community would object out loud? i think they would, but for Israel it's O.K.

There will be no peace cause this is not part of the agenda, the Zionist in charge of Israel and in charge of the world medias, banks, Western Gvt have other plans. Do your research on Sarkozy (and his brother Olivier), the Bush family (included Prescot the grand-dad), Clinton, Rumsfeld, Cheney, the Rockefellers, the Rothchilds, the Morgan, see for yourself how all those guys are interconnected all they have in common. Look at Obama's gvt, see for yourself who he "chose", scratch the surface and see how all this new U.S gvt is pro-israel and wont do anything to stop the oppression, despite everything puppet Obama said he would "change"...

All this is so disgustingly manipulated that it becomes "funny" (in a very ironic way...)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Jan 5 2009, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I can understand your view and even agree with some of your comments but what's the point with the current discussion about Israel?

My point was that Arab countries have of course some remote cultural commonalities but it is far less uniform than it is often presented.[/b]

You asked what the Arab world has that Europe hasn't. I answered.

Next question. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Enguelaz @ Jan 5 2009, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
"You seem to be forgetting that poor little Hamas and the Palestinians are backed up by other nations who want to see the destruction of Israel. Its easy to take the side of Palestine as the underdog but Israel are surrounded by their enemies and they have to show strength."

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Jan 6 2009, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well done son, you've learned ur lesson well, the media is doing a good job... Use just a little bit of critical thinking, that will make you human instead of being a clone...

this retaliation is NOT justified, but when you think about it, Israel (Zion) always behaved this way... M16 vs. Rocks, Use of guided Missile to get rid of a guy in a wheelchair (remember the attacks on Arafat?) and now that...

Re your coment about Palestine (what's left of it) being supported by other nations... LMFO! Israel is backed by the US, England, France. That's already 3 of the top 10 armies in the World... compared to Lebanon, Iran, and maybe Egypt... you see the difference don't you? or you just got too much Sh*t numbing your grey cells?

Can't you see Israel is US soil in the middle east? Can't you see that there's no Israel as such and that the Zionist doctrine is as forceful as Hamas or Al Qaeda (the group, not the CIA database), that's ethnic purification, that's f#cking disgusting.

Isrealies and Palestinians DO NOT hate eachother, before the massive exodus of Israelis that started back in the 20's (Yes, much before 1948) there was no real problem, and even tho Palestinians were in greater numbers, they never used oppression like the Zionist Gvt does. Let's not forget that 99% of the gvt that follow Shimon Peres and Itzac Rabin have been extreme-right gvt.

If an extreme-right gvt took control in France, England, the US or Russia, don't you think the international community would object out loud? i think they would, but for Israel it's O.K.

There will be no peace cause this is not part of the agenda, the Zionist in charge of Israel and in charge of the world medias, banks, Western Gvt have other plans. Do your research on Sarkozy (and his brother Olivier), the Bush family (included Prescot the grand-dad), Clinton, Rumsfeld, Cheney, the Rockefellers, the Rothchilds, the Morgan, see for yourself how all those guys are interconnected all they have in common. Look at Obama's gvt, see for yourself who he "chose", scratch the surface and see how all this new U.S gvt is pro-israel and wont do anything to stop the oppression, despite everything puppet Obama said he would "change"...

All this is so disgustingly manipulated that it becomes "funny" (in a very ironic way...)

[/b][/quote]

Be careful from not going from antizionism which is something that can be dicussed although this is a lost war to antisemitism which has no justification. You're involving many people in kind of conspiracy to support Israel due to some of their origins and making questionable assertions. There are point in your post which are interesting and would deserve more discussion but on the other hand your final statements are not very rational and ambiguous.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Jan 6 2009, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Enguelaz @ Jan 5 2009, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Be careful from not going from antizionism which is something that can be discussed although this is a lost war to antisemitism which has no justification. You're involving many people in kind of conspiracy to support Israel due to some of their origins and making questionable assertions. There are point in your post which are interesting and would deserve more discussion but on the other hand your final statements are not very rational and ambiguous.
[/b][/quote]

I know, it can be very confusing, and yes, antizionism can be interpreted for antisemitism. And this ambiguity is tricky cause it used to blackmail people, especially in france, where there is a huge stigma around what happened during the 2nd world war and NOTHING can be discussed with the jewish community... So I understand your warning, but since i left the mother country, i have found that we are one of the only country to stigmatize it like this... In France if you happen to make any comment on Israel Politics you'll be called an antisemitic... straight away, even if you have a valid point...

The "conspirators" I am referring to are tied more by who they work(ed) for or with, their business networks, connections, field they work in (banks, media, etc..) who they support financially during elections and all the bizzz than what they confession is. It happens that some of them are of Jewish confession... Don't worry for me, I am still able to make distinctions... I try hard every day to NOT generalize...

Take G.H.W.Bush for example: the guy has been on the politic scene for quite sometime, US ambassador to the UN under Nixon, Dir. Of Central Intelligence under Ford, Vice President under Reagan, President and then his retarded son stole 2 mandates... and while doing all this, still manage to build Oil venture and other Holdings... Since 1971 the guy has been around the big decisions that have shaped our world, yet, no one really knows that and the connection to the Rockefellers, the Rothschilds, The Morgans are staggering, whether it was for financing presidential campaigns or simply "revolving doors" busisness.

Carlyle Group, JP Morgan Chase - just citing those two names involves ALL of the people cited above who are linked by one or more ties to those companies... do you think it happens only by accident?

I guess it seems all off topic now. What happens in Gaza right now is coldly calculated by those same groups of people. Don't you find weird that the international community asks Israel to stop their bombardments but still they carried their ground attack and still get away with it... What is the UN doing? What is the NATO doing? Are they not supposed to be Peace Keepers? I find this very hypocritical. Why is it happening right NOW... at the end of Bush's mandate, Just before Obama (check his main campaign investors, you'll love it!) gets into office. Do they think that people are THAT stupid?

Call me crazy if you like, but at least this makes slightly more sense compared to the reasons invoked on the news media... Oh yeah i forgot, it's all the fault of the Hamas who fired a rocket... not hard to stage if you ask me, not hard at all, and "they"'re pretty damn good at that. (see Gulf of Tonkin Incident or the Lusitenia Incident, or the Anthrax after 9/11)

My irrational and ambiguous comments are just what you say they are. The all system we're part of is irrational and ambiguous until you get to link the dots together (and even then it seems quite complicated). As much as i would like to show you precisely, i refuse to do that, it would be preaching and trying to biais your judgment.

Instead i prefer to highlights a few names or events to put you in the right direction, after that, it is only your choice to dig into it until you find an answer that will fulfill your critical thinking, logic and common sense...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Dec 30 2008, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The Israelis disgust me. They sit back and take the moral high ground and act like they're victims of terrorism, and maybe throw the holocaust in to make everyone feel sorry for them.

Fact is the Palestinians (not angels by any means) have lobbed rockets at them from Gaza since 2001 and killed less than 20 civilians.

Israel killed over 300 in one day as "retaliation".

Those in the Israeli government and military are war criminals.

The American and British and any other government who condones or attempts to justify Israel's actions do so with a clearly inbalanced set of morals.

And for all the Jews who yap on about 'defending our homeland' and all that, you're in denial and perpetrate such a blatant bias that makes your opinion worth nothing.[/b]

:bravo:
I agree with this person 100%
IMO Israel is using this is a stepping stone to occupy palestine and grab that last bit of land they have already stolen
Mofo israelies and there allies, should have a hard look at themselves, and just box up and be friends with palestine, whom have had is worse in the last 4 decades than anyone!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Jan 6 2009, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
:bravo:
I agree with this person 100%
IMO Israel is using this is a stepping stone to occupy palestine and grab that last bit of land they have already stolen
Mofo israelies and there allies, should have a hard look at themselves, and just box up and be friends with palestine, whom have had is worse in the last 4 decades than anyone![/b]

Seems you are right bro, as even UN accuses Israel in Overwhelming Offense over the Gaza!!!!!!

The central problem here is that neither side wishes to talk.

Look at the British Government and Sinn Fein/IRA. Sunningdale in the early 1970s was a watershed in diplomacy. The fact that a terrorist organisation were given gaurantees for their safety and freedom to travel to the Home Counties of England (the provinces surrounding London) and for those gaurantees to be carried out was absolutely groundbreaking for the time. While peace wasn't agreed for another thirty odd years, it was those first steps which enabled a permenant back-channel to be opened.

These days, those same Anglo-Irish diplomats who managed to set up the Sunningdale agreements are in the Middle East and Afghanistan attempting to try and bring National governments and popular terrorist movements together at the negotiating table or at least set up a kind of discreet back-channel.

One of the major obstacles to this is the rather porus nature of Middle Eastern negotiating. The amount of leaks and private briefing that goes on is phenominal as found during Clinton's ill fated Middle Eastern Summit in 2000. Usually, any progress is scuppered when a loose mouthed Israeli cabinet minister or Fatah/Hamas senior member drops a diplomatic bombshell on an unsuspecting public in a deliberate attempt to de-rail the process. Secrecy is paramount in these initial steps but that is rarely the case.

Regardless of what Hamas is doing (and to be frank, is pretty stupid despite the horrors that the Palestinian people are going through) Israel must talk to them. They can't just ignore them, bombing and covering them in white phosphorus isn't going to make them go away as they'll simply morph into another organisation. They are the only people you can talk to in Gaza and if the West Bank follows suit in elections next year, they'll be the only people you can talk to period in Palestine.

Hama's political wing is pretty moderate. They know they can't destroy Israel or push them into the sea and they know that the best deal they can get is the same that was offered to Arafat in 2000 (The Gaza Strip, Eastern Jerusalem and 96% of the West Bank I believe) but they also know that they can't just go re-writing their founding charter to eliminate the "kill all jews" and "destroy Israel" policies without anything to show for it. They need something from Israel to show that what they are doing is getting results and that now is the time to talk and not to rocket or bomb.

However, currently, Hama's millitary wing has the upper hand and is controling things. This scenario will remain unless Hamas and Israel either start talking privately or officially at the table chaired by either Tony Blair or the UN.

This is similar to Northern Ireland, Sinn Fein could only show the millitant IRA members that talking could work if they got consessions from the British Government. It takes two to tango. Today, with Ulster getting more and more autonomy and with a more rational atmosphere, Sinn Fein and successive British Governments have shown that talking gets results.

Hamas and Israel should take note.

On another note, the main reason why Israeli policy tends to veer violently from left to right to left to right is down squarely to how it elects its Governments. Israeli elections use a version of Proportional Representation for electoral nerds called the D'Hondt method party list system. This basically means that there is a very very low threshold of voter representation to be triggered before your party can qualify for seats in Parliament.

This enables smaller parties with a tiny share of the vote to get into Parliament. Many of these parties tend to be far right parties which sponsor things such as the destruction of a Palestinian state, expansion of Jewish Settlements, the re-invasion of the Sinai penninsula and so on.

The D'Hondt method also garuantees a hung parliament which means that it is virtually impossible to attain enough seats to gaurantee an overall majority. This means that coalition governments are a requirement for government. Minority government, Canada style, is impossible.

Thus, you have a situation where the Right wing Likud, Left wing Labour and Centrist Kadima must seek the support of these BNP-esque or FN-esque parties in order to form a government and as part of the deal have to agree to uphold Settlements, etc. That is why you have the rather silly situation of Ehud Olmert calling Settler aggression against Palestinians a "Palestinian Pogrom" and then refusing to budge on Settlement expansion because, quite simply, his hands are tied.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Jan 6 2009, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Enguelaz @ Jan 5 2009, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Be careful from not going from antizionism which is something that can be dicussed although this is a lost war to antisemitism which has no justification. You're involving many people in kind of conspiracy to support Israel due to some of their origins and making questionable assertions. There are point in your post which are interesting and would deserve more discussion but on the other hand your final statements are not very rational and ambiguous.
[/b][/quote]

Anti-zionism is not anti-semitism - they are barely even related. Why? Because Being Jewish and supporting Israel are not the same thing. I'm (racially) Jewish, but I can easily see that Israel is, and always has been, an abomination. Israeli's accuse anti-zionists of being anti-semitic in order to blindside the world into supporting them. Nothing Israel ever does can be justified, because it's existence as a nation cannot be justified. I invite anybody to try to justify, using logic (rather than saying, as most Israeli's do: 'god promised it to us, so it's ours'), the existence of Israel... Nope? Didn't think so.

Latest posts