• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Warm Up Match 5: Maori All Blacks v British & Irish Lions (Rotorua)

Penne Rara

Bench Player
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
961613-438071-34.jpg

I expect a much stronger line up for Saturday. I think we will probably see Tipruic and Moriarty starting not sure about anyone else, probably Murray at 9 and I expect Davies at 13 if fit. Back 3 could be any out of Watson, Williams, North, Halfpenny and Daly.

vunipola
best
furlong
itoje
kruis
omahony
warburton
faletau

murray
sexton
liam williams
farrel
joseph
g north
a watson

I think Halfpenny has only played one game so far, as has Moriarty so I'd expect both to start in this game

JD2 as well from memory, Sexton likely to start, Farrell on the bench, unless they start at 10/12

1.Kane Hames
2.Ash Dixon
3.Ben May
4.Joe Wheeler
5.Tom Franklin
6.Elliot Dixon
7.Kara Pryor
8.Liam Messam

9.Bryn Hall
10.Ihaia West
11.James Lowe
12.Charlie Ngatai
13.Matt Proctor
14.NMS
15.D.McKenzie

16.Chris Eves 17.Hika Elliot 18 Marcel Renata 19.Leighton Price 20.A.Ioane 21.Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi 22.Otere Black 23.Robbie Thompson

A.Ioane would be massive off the bench I think. Can easily start him over Dixon though. The Maori's seem to have plenty of guys who can play 6 and 8 but not so many opensides.

Last edited:
1.Kane Hames
2.Ash Dixon
3.Ben May
4.Joe Wheeler
5.Tom Franklin
6.Elliot Dixon
7.Kara Pryor
8.Liam Messam

9.Bryn Hall
10.Ihaia West
11.James Lowe
12.Charlie Ngatai
13.Matt Proctor
14.NMS
15.D.McKenzie

16.Chris Eves 17.Hika Elliot 18 Marcel Renata 19.Leighton Price 20.A.Ioane 21.Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi 22.Otere Black 23.Robbie Thompson

A.Ioane would be massive off the bench I think. Can easily start him over Dixon though. The Maori's seem to have plenty of guys who can play 6 and 8 but not so many opensides.
I'd have Otere Black instead of Ihaia West, I rather see him as an impact player since his stunning run against the Lions last week. But West has more experience in the Maori jersey...

What a backline though, this match should be a cracker if the Lions don't resort to Warrenball and if the MABs use plenty of Maoriball

How good is this Maori squad? If you were to rate them alongside SR teams where would you put them?

How good is this Maori squad? If you were to rate them alongside SR teams where would you put them?

Better than the Blues, on par with the other teams. That's on paper.

Since they haven't played together much, not sure. Ngatai at 12 will really offer stability though,

The Maori backline will be deadly, but I considering they never play together I'd expect they will be worse than any of the Kiwi Super Rugby sides.

Should be a relatively comfortable win for the Lions, but I hope D-Mac can prove to the selectors that they were morons for passing him up.

The Maori might struggle to get possession against the top Lions outfit, if they can get some they have a wealth of talent to put it to good use.
The Lions are here to win so they won't be afraid to go for the posts when the opportunity arises, it's important the Maori do the same thing and try to keep the scoreboard ticking over.
Could be a humdinger.
The Lions will come out roaring for this one.
I'm loving this tour and having two games a week is awesome.

Has Aso done anything wrong to miss this team? Why would Proctor start... Id go:

Triple T
Black
Lowe
Ngatai
Aso
NMS
McKenzie

Jesus... Thats filthy. You could mistake that for the ABs backline after 2019. Obviously Lowe is leaving.... But still. Couple of injuries and it would almost look like that.

Has Aso done anything wrong to miss this team? Why would Proctor start... Id go:

Triple T
Black
Lowe
Ngatai
Aso
NMS
McKenzie

Jesus... Thats filthy. You could mistake that for the ABs backline after 2019. Obviously Lowe is leaving.... But still. Couple of injuries and it would almost look like that.
Is Aso eligible?