• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, on Netflix

Knew nothing about it going into it but really really liked it. Little surprised they released it as a movie and not a mini-series, considering it's 6 completely unrelated stories that are just put together as a film - however I've just seen that they did a limited cinema release for it, so I guess they're wanting to win awards for it.

A film from a few years ago, Nightcrawler was on the telly a while back and is about the best film I'd seen in the past 5-10 years. Fantastic story and a nicely done bit of commentary.

I'm so out of the loop it might be really well known (was Oscar nominated).
Yes, that was excellent. Very good acting. By the lead and Riaz Ahmed

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, on Netflix

Knew nothing about it going into it but really really liked it. Little surprised they released it as a movie and not a mini-series, considering it's 6 completely unrelated stories that are just put together as a film - however I've just seen that they did a limited cinema release for it, so I guess they're wanting to win awards for it.
Yes, it was a pretty good film. Essentially a short story anthology

I didn't go as a protest to the whole Sacha Baron cohen thing.
Ha ha, I agree. Rami Malek looks a bit like him and yet seems too slight and underwhelming a presence. Baron Cohen is strictly speaking too tall and big and yet I think he would have had more of a Freddie Mercury presence

Sicario 2. Not as good as the first one, but still very watcheable.

Paddington 2: really enjoyed it

Incredibles 2: terrible. Probably the worst pixar film I've seen.

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch. Quite liking the interactive choices to affect the storyline.

Aquaman.
What an absolute, steaming pile of turd.
If I hadn't been there with my niece and nephews I'd have walked out

It wasn't that bad....It wasn't great either.

Should of gone to see Bumblebee instead or even better Spiderman: Into the Spider-verse which is best superhero movie of the year.

Wanted to go to the cinema this Xmas but seriously disappointed at what's on atm, even at £5.99 at my local Vue. Used to absolutely love going to the cinema, but for me the quality coming out is sparse - either remakes, Superhero films or other franchise type films or films that have absolutely no appeal for me.

I am feeling my age when I start harking back to the 1990s which was my high point of Cinema in my lifetime and gone down hill since. Where are the se7en, Heat, Silence of the Lambs, Forrest Gump, Shawshank Redemption, Good Will Hunting Terminator 2, The Matrix (not the sequels which were awful), Pulp Fiction, The Usual Sudpects, Fargo, Groundhog Day etc, etc....

This year we have remakes of Dumbo, Aladdin, Toy Story 4 (should have left it at 3, but money talks and I hope they don't ruin the trilogy) and the final instalment or Star Wars. Still in post Brexit Britain no doubt we will need the escapism.

That's nostalgia talking the quality and wide breath of film is huge currently. Bearly any of the films you listed came out the same year.

This year had Blackkklansman, I, Tonya, The Shape of Water, Love Simon, First Manwhich I think are the equal and better of many of the films you listed. None of which are superhero films, franchise films and if nothing in that selection appeals you have a narrow field of what you want to watch.

EDIT: Took out A Star is Born due to remake status just like I listed no good superhero films.

Original films released that I really liked.
A Quiet Place
Bad Times at the el Royale
Upgrade (Honestly a really underrated film)
Blackkklansman
First Man
Widows (Although Guess remake of the tv show)
Hotel Artmius
American Animals
Overlord

Tigs just sat down with my list I saw 33 different film at the cinema last year as well as saw 4 releases this year but not within a cinema (3 plane, 1 Netflix).

Missed out on A Quiet Place and Widows both of which I wanted to see.

That's nostalgia talking the quality and wide breath of film is huge currently. Bearly any of the films you listed came out the same year.

This year had Blackkklansman, I, Tonya, The Shape of Water, Love Simon, First Manwhich I think are the equal and better of many of the films you listed. None of which are superhero films, franchise films and if nothing in that selection appeals you have a narrow field of what you want to watch.

EDIT: Took out A Star is Born due to remake status just like I listed no good superhero films.

Just a general trend of the 1990s. Yes, of course none of them came out in the same year, but we are now almost at the end of the 10s and compared to the 90s it's not been a vintage decade for Hollywood IMO. I think the fact that we have had the likes of more on demand services like Sky box office, Netflix and I had lovefilm (now can get Cinema Paradiso) mean unless it's a must see film for me I can wait for it to come out post cinema.

Some of the memorable ones I can think of off the top of my head this decade and going to the cinema - include Gravity (the only 3D movie I thought was worth it; I regretted not seeing the Life of Pi on the IMAX or 3D as I heard it was fantastic on the big screen) Lion, Inception (although I did not see this one at the cinema) The Dark knight rises, Skyfall. The last one I did see a Star is Born - the sound track is good. I haven't seen the previous versions, but I have read the gist of it is basically the same, but updated. I think as I have grown older, the films that appeal to me have changed, but for me he quality and breadth are not as good as it was. But I rarely go to the cinema these days unless it's totally worth it.

For me I prefer box sets and I think story telling is better across box sets because more time is taken to develop the story and characters compared to 2-3 hour films at the cinema. GOT and BB being two prime examples this decade, which have surpassed anything That has been shown or produced by Hollywood. What I want is a good story first and foremost. Not seen the Shape of Water yet, but will look out for it when it does come out of Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Latest posts