• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

Also curious if Rock was somehow (at least a little bit) "sanctioned" after a humiliating joke about someone's disease..hm :rolleyes:
Apparently he didn't know she had it. Hard to believe but believable I suppose. Not sure what you would do to sanction Rock to be honest.

Good to see you though Yulia.

Apparently he didn't know she had it. Hard to believe but believable I suppose. Not sure what you would do to sanction Rock to be honest.

I think its important to remember at awards ceremonies and pretty much anything that isn't ad-libbed (so parts of panel shows and a comedians own stand up) Rock won't have been the only writer. So it is conceivable he didn't write the joke, still approved and delivered it though.

:)
giphy.gif

Apparently he didn't know she had it.
A beautiful woman who shaves her head? :rolleyes: I think it's clear there's something serious behind it..at least in 99% of cases. Anyway, better not to laugh at someone's appearance in such events as Oscar (and in general)..

I've watched "Stonehearst Asylum". Definitely can recommend it, good film with an interesting plot twist (although if you read E.A. Poe's short stories, you'll understand everything from the beginning)

A beautiful woman who shaves her head? :rolleyes: I think it's clear there's something serious behind it
Her daughter shaved her head for years and suggested it to Jada
Plenty of female celebs have shaved their heads - Halsey, Lupita, Cara DeLavigne etc.

I don't think it's strange to think Rock didn't know about it - how many did? It wasn't a widely known thing before this incident

Banning Smith for a decade is a weird one, though - especially after they publicly fawn over convicted paedophile/rapist Polanski
Isn't he meant to present something next time round? They gonna wheel out a cardboard cut out or a hologram or something?

Last edited:
Jada had spoken about her alopecia since 2018 and posted online about it. This link shows at least 11.9 million of her followers will have known.

Chris Rock does seem to be a relatively tame comic, so I'm not going to overly criticise him, but to suggest he and his writers didn't know exactly what they were doing with that line seems a bit generous to me. Rock is on the record bemoaning it is hard to be edgy as a comic and I think clearly identified this individual and topic as fair game (probably a misjudgement rather than malice).

I couldn't care less about the Oscars but it'd be nice if non-comedy focussed events took a bit of ownership and vetted the hosts script before it was performed and had a contract that punished the comic if they deviated in a way that targetted an individual or demographic in a controversial way. That way a mess like this would have been avoided. But instead we get absolute silence from officialdom about the consequences of such 'humour' because a struggling annual ceremony is likely desperate for some controversy and publicity to remain relevant and won't want a conventional, straight hosting of an awards event.

especially after they publicly fawn over convicted paedophile/rapist Polanski
There are lots of dark spots in that old story with Samantha Geimer. I don't defend Roman, he pleaded guilty and she forgave him finally. I'm not that sure in other accusations a la "he raped me 43 years ago" though...
That doesn't change the fact that he's absolutely brilliant as a film director and a screenwriter though, one of my favourite. "Bitter Moon" , all the "apartment trilogy" (especially "The Tenant" and "Rosemary's baby"), "The Pianist", "Knife in the water" and many others - these are amazing films. Have rewatched only "Bitter Moon" a million times, masterpiece film, highly recommend if you haven't seen it yet.

I don't think it's strange to think Rock didn't know about it - how many did? It wasn't a widely known thing before this incident
Even if he didn't know that, it's not that important..I think that appearance (and "hair" :rolleyes: ) is a more painful topic for women anyway, better not to make fun of it

Isn't he meant to present something next time round? They gonna wheel out a cardboard cut out or a hologram or something?
if you mean Smith then by convention I think the best actor of the previous year presents the best actress award in the following year. But yeh they just choose someone else to present the award.

Actually rewatched Superman returns. Panned at the time but I don't think it's that bad. Love letter to the Christopher Reeve films. Prefer it to Man of Steel.

One of the original American gangster films, it's 91 years old and still holds up. A true classic starring James Cagney & Jean Harlow. It's a great movie! :cool:

1650042684277.png

Last edited:
I've rewatched the star wars prequels over the past couple of weekends - they get a bad rap but I really enjoyed them (and did when they first came out)
Compared to Rise of Skywalker they're basically Citizen Kane!

I've rewatched the star wars prequels over the past couple of weekends - they get a bad rap but I really enjoyed them (and did when they first came out)
Compared to Rise of Skywalker they're basically Citizen Kane!
Yeah Rise of Skywalker gave Star Wars fans a real idea of what actual bad film looks like. Although TBH my opinion of TPM does go down everytime i watch. I've not actually seen RoS since the cinema.

I want to go throught them all again but a series of films that starts and end so badly doesn't have great thinking.

I want to go throught them all again but a series of films that starts and end so badly doesn't have great thinking.
That's what's stopping me rewatching Game of Thrones as well

I'm considering going through and doing the others (inc. Rogue One and Solo) - I'd originally watched the prequels just to get ready for the Obi Wan series, but I've got a taste now

Though I do think I need to watch something else first just to wash away the bad taste of hayden christensen's acting (the worst thing in the prequels, imo)

Went to see sonic 2 with my kids at the cinema. It's very average, was a little bored really.

Just waiting for the multiverse of madness! So excited about it.

Watched Free Solo in between games today (didn't realise it was on Disney+, I always forgot about the national geographic stuff on there)
I hate heights so my palms are still sweaty now but it was fascinating

The Rescue
Documentary on Disney+ about the Thai cave rescue a couple of years ago, same director/producer as Free Solo

Highly recommended, it's very good

Given what's happened to the MCU since Endgame - this is probably their last (and best) chance to continue taking my money:

Shang-Chi and No Way Home were good movies? Less so No Way Home which mainly relied on pointing at screen and going 'that's the thing I like, I like the think I like' but it had a pretty good core just failed to stick the landing a little.

Latest posts