• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What TV Show's are you watching/looking forward to?

Watched damnation on Netflix. Has the fella from Love/Hate in it and he does a good job. Almost hard to remember it's set in the 20s in parts, but it's a fairly good show with some really solid performances. Basic premise is that a 'preacher' in Iowa during the Great Depression has incited local farmers to go on all out strike with violence if necessary and certain parties send in a strike breaker to end said strike.
On the topic of Irish actors, just watched the first episode of young offenders on the Beeb. Really enjoyed the movie and although the first episodes rehashes a couple things from the movie it's also very good in its mix of comedy and the fairly endearing friendship like the movie was. Looking forward to seeing how it goes on from there.
Was watching Designated Survivor, but it got downright dull after the whole conspiracy plot wrapped up to be honest. Now truth is a lot stranger than fiction and watching an irreproachable nice guy make very minor blunders is boring.

Working my way through the Friends series on Netflix. Entertaining, but long stretches of it are not very funny. Hope they put Frasier on Netflix soon, it's just in a different class.

The UK mini-series Liar is screening here in NZ at the moment - quite enjoying it!

Also just started watching Mindhunter on Netflix - not what I was expecting but I think I like it better this way! Basically a fictional account of how the term 'serial killer' came to exist.

The UK mini-series Liar is screening here in NZ at the moment - quite enjoying it!

Also just started watching Mindhunter on Netflix - not what I was expecting but I think I like it better this way! Basically a fictional account of how the term 'serial killer' came to exist.

Liar was big news over here when it aired but I thought it quickly descended into a mess by the third ep. Loved Mindhunter and hoping for a second season where they will interview some well known serial killers.

Just watched Altered Carbon on Netflix and loved it, like Blade Runner if they had 10 hours to flesh everything out. Also, finally gotten around to finally watching Ray Donovan (good) and Spartacus (trashy but still good).

Liar was big news over here when it aired but I thought it quickly descended into a mess by the third ep. Loved Mindhunter and hoping for a second season where they will interview some well known serial killers.

Just watched Altered Carbon on Netflix and loved it, like Blade Runner if they had 10 hours to flesh everything out. Also, finally gotten around to finally watching Ray Donovan (good) and Spartacus (trashy but still good).

I really liked Altered Carbon, especially the first few episode but I felt it got a bit messy towards the end.

Also watched Dirty Money on Netflix, a really good documentary series. All episode apart from number 5 were really interesting with 2 and 6 being particular highlights.

I really liked Altered Carbon, especially the first few episode but I felt it got a bit messy towards the end.

Also watched Dirty Money on Netflix, a really good documentary series. All episode apart from number 5 were really interesting with 2 and 6 being particular highlights.

Yeah quite fancied Dirty Money, added to the list.

Agreed - last couple of episodes felt like they were trying to be a bit more clever than they were; and the last episode seemed more interersted in setting up an unnecessary sequal, than finishing the story.
I still really enjoyed it though.

Agreed - last couple of episodes felt like they were trying to be a bit more clever than they were; and the last episode seemed more interersted in setting up an unnecessary sequal, than finishing the story.
I still really enjoyed it though.

Yeah it definitely wasn't perfect but after an adolescence (long time ago now) of having to make do with Japanese anime for my hardcore sci fi (cyber punk) fix, the scope, aesthetic and characters fulfilled many a teen fever-dream from my youth.

You also can't go wrong with a narrative that totally derails the perceived superiority of the upper classes. Think Altered Carbon achieved that denouement as well as any story discrediting prejudicial 1 percenters.

Just finished Homeland season 6.
Gave up on it when it was on TV cause I thought the story was a bit naff, a bit slow - noticed it had been put on Netflix the other day so watched the second half of the season and ended up really loving it.

Starting season 7 now, got three episodes to catch up on

Let's see:

Black Mirror S4 -> Worse than the other seasons but Hang the DJ was incredible.
Electric Dreams S1 -> Had it's moments but lacked an episode of any real substance.
The End of the F***ing World S1 -> Premise was hard to get into at first but it quickly became an addictive show. Channel 4 have a pretty bad track record with follow-up seasons to their teen shows though.
Dark S1 -> Bloody good and unpredictable.
The Good Place S1/S2 -> Objectively top 5 sitcom. Fitting that a show about self-improvement continuously improves throughout.
Inside No. 9 S4 -> Best season of the show. Hilarious and moving at points. Pemberton and Sheersmith are class writers and I'd love to see them get their hands on a high-profile show.
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel S1 -> Surprised me how great this one was. Character-craft on point in this series. Love that it tackles heavier themes without losing sight of it being a joyous show to watch.
Narcos S3 -> Most consistent show I've ever seen. Never threatens the top tier of television, never dips out of the second tier. The shift of audience surrogate from Murphy to Pena was inspired.
Stranger Things S2 -> Had all the strengths and weaknesses of S1. Story is decent enough albeit nothing spectacular, but it's more than made up for by an excellent cast, great character-craft and outstanding technical aspects (music, cinematography, set design etc.).

Now starting on Atlanta

Just finished Homeland season 6.
Gave up on it when it was on TV cause I thought the story was a bit naff, a bit slow - noticed it had been put on Netflix the other day so watched the second half of the season and ended up really loving it.

Starting season 7 now, got three episodes to catch up on

Yep Homeland S7 as well. It's getting very interesting, especially with the whole Russia angle which is so relevant to what is currently happening.

Started rewatching Westworld to get ready for season 2 starting next week,

Only halfway through the first episode and I've already noticed a ton of stuff (e.g. Dolores repeatedly saying "This doesn't look like anything to me")

Forgot how much I loved this series

If you liked Ordeal by Innocence then "And then there were none" is another Agatha Christie one to watch on iPlayer.

Just started watching Turn. Pretty good as I was looking for a series from this era. Only bad part is so far it looks like they may be going down a similar path to the Patriot and Braveheart of portraying the British as a bunch of cold people with no morals. It may be just this main antagonist though but it does seem to be something Americans can't resist doing.

Just finished Stranger Things Season 2. Really good show, hasn't dipped in standard yet. Also loving the soundtrack.

Latest posts