• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Whats the story about the 1995 All Blacks getting poisoned in South Africa WC is it true or False?

D

diehardkiwi07

Just watched the documentry about a Black South Africian waitress being paid to poison the All Blacks, I watche d this on Skys Discover chanel, I just wanted to see what peoples views are on this topic.

At the end of the day Jonah Lomu was apparently perfectly healthy (according to an ITV documentary) and they stopped him so I think they deserve it.

And I don't believe they were poisoned, and generally I don't believe in fate, but to me SA's wi seemed like fate. I'm not a N Zealander but the result that occurred looked the best possible to me, and I only hope the legacy is in action now (doesn't seem so evident though).

Yes i watched the Documentary and i did come to my own conclusion

If they weren't poisoned the team were definitely struck down by something how do explain players spewing on the side lines?. What seemed very unusual was that the brooke brother's along with fitsies never ate that morning and those 3 we the only 3 that were fine, the Brooke brothers as per usual arrived for breakfast late so never ate at all.. The good thing was the waitress who claimed to have been paid to drop white substances in there coffee pot had lost her job according to the doco and along with the ABs who had lost the cup.. leads me to believe could this happen again to any team??

The very thing that did annoy me was if they were sick why on earth did they play that day??

2007 now forget about it and lets get on with it

Just to add to the conspiracy - Tim Horan got food poisoning the week before the Wallabies played South Africa in the '99 semi-final.

they had to play there was no way the game would have been delayed. after reading many books by PLAYERS that were there and affected by it I am convinced they were posioned. Jeff wilson in his book seasons of gold gives a very descriptive version of what happened.

Just watched the documentry about a Black South Africian waitress being paid to poison the All Blacks, I watche d this on Skys Discover chanel, I just wanted to see what peoples views are on this topic. [/b]

Mate it's all a load of BS. It's just a poor excuse because they didn't win. The excuse this year will be they ate some dodgy frog legs or something.

my view? who cares, its done its history. its time to move on.

i ttook me a few years to get over it (not that they were poisened just cause we lost) i really dont need to be reminded all the time :)

the better team won on the day, and thats how i want to keep it.

Well, if there`s something that strikes me as odd it`s this- in `87, there were no talks of conspiracies. In `91, it was the tournament schedulers who scheduled the AB-Aus semi for a Sunday, effectively ruling out Michael Jones from the semi on religious grounds. In `95, there was the food poisoning conspiracy. And in 99 there was this conspiracy theory about the refs allowing the French players to get away with grabbing AB testicles in the rucks.

Seriously, I`ve heard rumours of that sort for all 3 those RWC tourneys, which kind of makes it hard to swallow. And I`ve even heard rumours of the 04 tri-nations game in SA (which the Boks won 40-26, by 5 tries to 2), that the game was fixed by bookies. Evidence for this was apparently the ease with which Marius Joubert broke Tana`s tackle for the opening Bok score. That kind of talk just smacks a bit of not being in touch with reality to me.

I dont think the guy who started the thread is asking for excuses on why we lost. Because lets face it we lost the cup fair and square, what i think he's asking, is how all those player's were poisoned or became sick all at the one time...

And im sure he's asking for closure on this subject LOL..

Well, I`m not highlighting excuses mate, I`m just pointing out other conspiracy theories aired before and after this incident, which makes the whole food poisoning theory look a bit silly IMO.

When looking at this incident in isolation, sure it might look like there might be something to it. Especially considering the way that the AB`s kind of faded a bit during the second half, especially someone like Kronfeld who basically dominated the battle for possession on the ground the entire tournament, but looked decidedly jaded in the last quarter. And Mehrts missing the drop on the stroke of full-time in regulation time, from straight in front, which would`ve won the cup for the AB`s. Maybe the pressure of the moment, but it could well have been down to fatigue, which will be perfectly understandable if he was dehydrated from food poisoning. But looking at some of the other theories that have been aired over the years, the whole argument just loses credibility IMO.

Well, I`m not highlighting excuses mate, I`m just pointing out other conspiracy theories aired before and after this incident, which makes the whole food poisoning theory look a bit silly IMO.

When looking at this incident in isolation, sure it might look like there might be something to it. Especially considering the way that the AB`s kind of faded a bit during the second half, especially someone like Kronfeld who basically dominated the battle for possession on the ground the entire tournament, but looked decidedly jaded in the last quarter. And Mehrts missing the drop on the stroke of full-time in regulation time, from straight in front, which would`ve won the cup for the AB`s. Maybe the pressure of the moment, but it could well have been down to fatigue, which will be perfectly understandable if he was dehydrated from food poisoning. But looking at some of the other theories that have been aired over the years, the whole argument just loses credibility IMO.

[/b]

You can understand 2 people being sick but the whole team bar 3 player's who didn't eat has to tell you something. Must be the sour grapes they all ate when they were in a huddle :eek:

How can you say its ********?if you watched that documentry it showed a black lady (waitress) admitting to the posioning of the team and being payed off by a man in a suit. I suppose thats ******** to and if thats what South Africa need to do to secure a win well il be damned, im not saying how we lost im saying why would S.A take those measures to poison us?

does it reli matter that she was black even in SA after they all would have done whatever it took to won

i dont know if they were poisoned on purpose but nearly the whole squad was sick. you cant deny that. do you not remember the pictures in the game of Jeff Wilson coming off to the sideline to spew in a bucket??

to the all blacks credit... none of them used it as an excuse and no one has taken away South Africa's greatest triumpth.

They were definitely not well on the day. There was nothing no one could do about it. The game went ahead with the game, and the players kept their mouths shut.

Here are the facts:

After game, The AB manager states that a few players were "SICK". the media then turns that into "food poisoning" which in turn evolves to "poisoning".

Ian jones (AB lock in final) states on televison that no one was sick pre-game.

Marc Ellis (AB wing in game) states in his biography that everyone was violently sick pre-game.

The All Blacks ate seafood the night before the Final 600+ km's from the sea!

Draw your own conclusions. I believe a few players were sick, not poisoned and the fact that: well over 10 different accounts of what happened have been produced by the All Black team, shows that some players are obviusly lying.

Well the Springboks had to chew Fitzy's ear so them poisoning the All Blacks could of happened. Still its 2007 and it sucks but we have to just move on nothings gonna change.

The best we can do is hope that the All Blacks win it this time than we'd be able to put all this to rest and worry about the present.

How can you say its ********?if you watched that documentry it showed a black lady (waitress) admitting to the posioning of the team and being payed off by a man in a suit. I suppose thats ******** to and if thats what South Africa need to do to secure a win well il be damned, im not saying how we lost im saying why would S.A take those measures to poison us?
[/b]

If you know anyting about poverty you'd soon realise that people would say just about anything for the right price my friend.

Your question is a good one, why would SA take measures to bring shame upon the Springbok by poisining All Blacks. We might have a reputation for being ****ly but I can tell you this, Springbok rugby has always been about going out and meeting opponents on the picth and not off it, and the Boks always hold NZ in very high regards, seeing them as peers, that's why very few things come as close to an AB V Bok test match.

If those AB's where poisened at all, my guess would be that SA rugby had nothing to do with it, any man can wear a suit in SA, it's not as if the man was wearing a suit and a springbok tie. My guess would be if the waitress was paid to slip poison it would've been on request of someone who had a lot of money on the outcome of the game, and not the sports people. Anyway, a waitress would have a hard time slipping poison in 30 peoples food - too risky.

Personally, if I was a mallicious person, I would've paid a chef, or arranged to have their plates washed in the poison.

still those age were semiprofessional in a way, first you would believe they brought in their own cooks/food, second i did not quite get, how come some players did not have breakfast the day of the WC final???????

I think it is possible they ate something bad and from there the conspiracy theory.

But in football during a game between argentina and brasil in the italian world cup argetinians gave brasilian poisoned water during the game. They confessed that many years later.

Latest posts