• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Which is the best/strongest pack in the RWC this time?

stevebrooks452

Academy Player
Country Flag
UK
Hi All,

I remember the game in the last world cup where the England pack overpowered the Australian pack at times in the game. I can't see this happening again this time but I do like to see strong forward play. I know that playing a gritty forward game is often seen as poor rugby but I think that a pack at its best powering a disciplined rolling mawl or a scrum 30 metres forward is awesome to watch. Almost as good as running backs. Are there any packs from the main contenders able to do this to any of the other big teams this world cup? Who has the heaviest pack this world cup?

Last edited:
Didn't Aus have a ton of injuries in the front row before that match though?

After a wee bitt of google time maybe Scotland have the biggest pack this year?

Didnt seem to help too much against the romainians.. What a top notch pack effort they put in.
In a perfect world, to even the playing field lesser teired countries would be able to combine forces to compete more efficiently. Georgias pack plus Fijis backs and Romainias pack with Samoas backs= money.

I think Australia has the best pack. Pocock is clearly the best openside in the world, Radike Samo and Wycliff Palu would be a very dangerous loose trio combination. They have an incredible front row who are the most mobile front row in rugby and some very good depth in the locks with; Nathan Sharpe, James Horwill, Dan Vickerman and Rob Simmons. Definitely Australia.

I think Australia has the best pack. Pocock is clearly the best openside in the world, Radike Samo and Wycliff Palu would be a very dangerous loose trio combination. They have an incredible front row who are the most mobile front row in rugby and some very good depth in the locks with; Nathan Sharpe, James Horwill, Dan Vickerman and Rob Simmons. Definitely Australia.

In general play and defense the wallaby pack is good but the scrum is still rubbish. Lineouts is good with Sharpie making the calls but only serviceable without him but the aggression and physical play vickerman brings will keep sharpey out of the regular 22. Not looking forward to seeing oz scrum against the poms.

New Zealand when they put their best pack of forwards on the park and if Reed is fit to play. SA close behind when the "clown" decides to start with Bismark Du Plessis and if Alberts were to start ahead of Spies. SA did demolish AB in the scrums in PE but that was not the strongest NZ outfit.

new zealand,south africa - agree if du plesses is playing !, romania and argentina all have strong packs

i think there's a big difference between strongest and best...

Last edited:
I heard what they have is a bunch of league imports who forget that scrums in union are contested.

I heard that a lot of people are ignorant of real facts and have not kept up on current form. There is not a single leagie in the Wallabies pack - the same pack who outmuscled the All blacks a few weeks ago, recently smashed the Boks B team and beat the Boks A team, the same pack with the form No.7 and No.8 in the world, the same pack with two of the top three lineout technicians in rugby (Vickerman, Sharpe and of course the Bok's Matfield), the same pack who have the No.6 who only a few years ago was European player of the year. The most mobile front row in the world and the Polotonau, hardest hitting tackler in the super 15 this year. Against the ABs, Boks and Italy this pack at least matched their opposition in terms of scrummaging ........

I don't think the teams that are coming up against the Walabies will be underestimating them. Time will tell...

What about France? :D having probably one of the best scrum and total pack weight is significantly lighter than most of other teams. Remember Scotland pack being dominated by France forwards which were lighter almost by 8 kilos each.

When I think of strong/good packs I tend to think of these teams;

Argentina, Georgia, France, South Africa, Romania, New Zealand, Scotland and England.

I'd rate SA among the top 3 along with France and NZ but wonder whether Scotland and England aren't above us at the moment considering our injuries in the pack and PdV picking John Smit over Bismarck du Plessis. A pack of 1Steenkamp, 2Du Plessis, 3Du Plessis, 4Botha, 5Bekker, 6Brussow, 7Smith, 8Alberts would be the equal of any pack in the world IMO. Sadly though..

Although I generally don't think about them ITO being a strong pack I have to say Australia have come a long way in that department although I still see them being better in the loose.

I heard that a lot of people are ignorant of real facts and have not kept up on current form. There is not a single leagie in the Wallabies pack - the same pack who outmuscled the All blacks a few weeks ago, recently smashed the Boks B team and beat the Boks A team, the same pack with the form No.7 and No.8 in the world, the same pack with two of the top three lineout technicians in rugby (Vickerman, Sharpe and of course the Bok's Matfield), the same pack who have the No.6 who only a few years ago was European player of the year. The most mobile front row in the world and the Polotonau, hardest hitting tackler in the super 15 this year. Against the ABs, Boks and Italy this pack at least matched their opposition in terms of scrummaging ........

I don't think the teams that are coming up against the Walabies will be underestimating them. Time will tell...
Warburton doesn't play for Australia. :p

In my opinion England have the best tight 5, Australia have the best back row, and SA probably have the best combination of the 2.

Latest posts