Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brendon Leonard

• Andy Ellis

• Total voters
T

tommowins

This has bugged me for a while now. With Jimmy Cowan playing well last season and Brendon Leonard coming back from injury after looking hot in 2007. As well as Weepu not in bad form and Henry's obsession with Andy Ellis. I am really trying to think who will get the starting jersey.

What do you think?

Leonard to me is looking very good. But i think the AB's see him more as a impact player off the bench likewise with Mathewson if he is picked. I still hope Jimmy cowan will be the starting 9, but will vote later in the season!

I like Weepu personally.

I think he's a good minder for the 9 shirt until one of the younger guys is ready to step up.

Never understood why Weepu hasn't been shoed in for 9 since Kelleher went North. Class act, much better than Cowan and Ellis. Haven't seen anything of Ellis.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 30 2009, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Never understood why Weepu hasn't been shoed in for 9 since Kelleher went North. Class act, much better than Cowan and Ellis. Haven't seen anything of Ellis.[/b]
If you haven't seen anything of Ellis, how do you know Weepu is much better than him?

Back in 07, Leonard was the incumbent halfback, with him and Ellis being taken to the world cup. I think now that he's back, consistently playing great rugby (his worst game of the season was agaist the Reds), and has already been seen by the selectors as a great halbakc, I think he'll be given a good run. I definitely think he's got the ability to be the best halfback in the world come 2011.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Mar 30 2009, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I definitely think he's got the ability to be the best halfback in the world come 2011.[/b]

From what I've seen from him this year I'm inclined to back you up on that statement! Even though I can't stand the Chiefs (It's my brothers team, now that there finally realising there potential, I can't shut my brother up). :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Mar 30 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Back in 07, Leonard was the incumbent halfback, with him and Ellis being taken to the world cup. I think now that he's back, consistently playing great rugby (his worst game of the season was agaist the Reds), and has already been seen by the selectors as a great halbakc, I think he'll be given a good run. I definitely think he's got the ability to be the best halfback in the world come 2011.[/b]
I agree. If the number one player in any posistion comes back from injury they should immeadiately be picked. Leonard is in form and is a great half back. Weepu is a bit of an idiot. For one thing, he always does his kicks from the back of the ruck about 20 times a game and they never work. Our depth at halfback is very promising with other guys like Matthewson coming through who could be ready within a few years.

I should have added Mathewson to the poll. I think Leonard and Mathewson share an explosive game of rugby and are always looking for a quick dart past the ruck. They are pretty strong too.

I actually think Alby Mathewson has looked very good this year, and that's saying a lot seeing as I thought he didn't deserve the black jersey a year ago. However, he is a bit hot and cold (much like the Hurricanes) at the moment, and might need a year or two before he turns into a complete class act, which I actually think he will now.

In saying that, the Hurricanes' comeback against the Lions was down to Weepu being shifted into halfback when Ripia came on in my opinion. I think that had more to do with Ripia playing at first five than Mathewson being off the field, however.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (melon @ Mar 30 2009, 03:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 30 2009, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Never understood why Weepu hasn't been shoed in for 9 since Kelleher went North. Class act, much better than Cowan and Ellis. Haven't seen anything of Ellis.[/b]
If you haven't seen anything of Ellis, how do you know Weepu is much better than him?
[/b][/quote]

sorry that was meant to say Leonard. I've seen plenty of Ellis and Cowan playing for the ABs

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 31 2009, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
sorry that was meant to say Leonard. I've seen plenty of Ellis and Cowan playing for the ABs[/b]

I think it's best you catch a bit of Leonard before making that call. Leonard's a better halfback than Weepu in most people's books.

Ellis, on the other hand, is rubbish.

However last year Graeme Henry had some wierd facination with him. I put him as a poll option to see if it was just me who didn't like him.

I'll tell you what seeing as I'm a nice guy, the All Blacks can have Luke Burgees and we will take Leonard or Cowen, how's that?

Lol Australia with a shortage of scrum-halves! Although I have heard Josh Valentine has been playing alright inside Giteau. Maybe he is an alternative to Burgess.

Will Genia looks like he could be a good future Wallaby halfback.

For NZ, Jimmy Cowan is solid and is probably the best defensive halfback in the world. Consistently saves tries at Super 14 and International level. Weepu offers something different in the second half and can cover first-five well. It is a shame Leonard is injured again :(

Latest posts