• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2013 British and Irish Lions

The Jones v Cole debate! Nothing much to pick between the two if I am honest, both are solid tightheads and both get busy round the field. Think they will both go and fight it out between each other which is good from a Lions point of view.

Swap Wood for Robshaw, think long and hard about best after the next 2 weekends and realise that BOD is an old man now.

Remember boyo, the first two yards are in the player's head.

BOD looked on fire in the 20 mins of his last game before doing his ankle. I wouldn't be writing any sporting obituaries just yet.

The first 2 yards in your head are all well and good, but the game is played on the pitch. With legs. That last longer then 20 minutes.

Boyo.

The Jones v Cole debate! Nothing much to pick between the two if I am honest, both are solid tightheads and both get busy round the field. Think they will both go and fight it out between each other which is good from a Lions point of view.

Agreed.

The first 2 yards in your head are all well and good, but the game is played on the pitch. With legs.

Not wholly surprising you can't make the connection between a sharp mind more than making up for a lack of outright speed.

I'm sure if you go back and look at his outings for the Lions in South Africa, the majority of his influence on the game will not have come from speed or strength, but from reading the game and making the right decision (often before others even realise what the options to decide from are).

BOD may not have the pace of old, in fact that pace has been going for a few years now, but the step and strength would appear to still be there.

He got injured about 20 mins in. :mellow:
Show me an established player that has never got injured.

169455-brad-thorn.jpg

Not wholly surprising you can't make the connection between a sharp mind more than making up for a lack of outright speed.

I'm sure if you go back and look at his outings for the Lions in South Africa, the majority of his influence on the game will not have come from speed or strength, but from reading the game and making the right decision (often before others even realise what the options to decide from are).

BOD may not have the pace of old, in fact that pace has been going for a few years now, but the step and strength would appear to still be there.

I still think BOD is an outstanding player BUT since we have such a lack of 12's (Jamie Roberts who isn't really in any form) i think we should have BOD and tuilagi playing together. BOD would be a good 12 and Tuilagi is a good 13.

If they were both competing for the 13 shirt on form then i'd go Tuilagi as he has been injured but when BOD is back firing it will be harder to call.

Yep. And if he wasn't Irish I'm sure your arguement would be equally as valid.

Maybe the Lions should call up Will Carling. The body isn't what it once was, but is rugby brain is still there. Definately Wilkinson too. **** it, go all out and have JPR.

Once again I get the feeling that Mite be trolling. Denying Brian's greatness is like denying the existence of thumbtacks.

Yep. And if he wasn't Irish I'm sure your arguement would be equally as valid.

I would have absolutely no problems with JW going on tour. In fact, given current form, I'd be disappointed if he didn't go.

He is among the (very) best of the candidates for 10 available, thus he goes.

Maybe the Lions should call up Will Carling. The body isn't what it once was, but is rugby brain is still there. Definately Wilkinson too. **** it, go all out and have JPR.

Pathetic. Is that really the height of your debating skills? Its almost the rugby equivalent of Godwin's law.

[Besides, as things stand Wilkinson should go!]

Out of interest, how many of the people citing Wilkinson's good form recently have actually watched him in a full Top 14 game? I can't say that I have very recently, but considering how little Top 14 discussion we get on here I can't imagine many of his supporters are actually watching him regularly.

Last time I saw him he still had bugger all creativity. He can kick goals, but scoring multiples of 3 a good out half does not make. If we call for Wilkinson without watching him then why not Hook?

Annoying.

Meh, if Wilko goes it's deserved.
Not because he's on especially great form - been about the same since he went to France, but because the other options are pretty crap.
Priestland? Ha.
O'Gara? No thanks.
Farrell? Meh.
You've got Sexton, a massive gap, then everyone else.
Same arguments for BODs inclusion can be used for Wilkinson - if they're on form then take them, f**k the reputation.

Of course, there's a while to go yet - Keatley, Madigan, Burns, Biggar/Hook (both more likely due to their nation) could come to the fore, internationally, who knows.

Last edited:
Meh, if Wilko goes it's deserved.
Not because he's on especially great form - been about the same since he went to France, but because the other options are pretty crap.
Priestland? Ha.
O'Gara? No thanks.
Farrell? Meh.
You've got Sexton, a massive gap, then everyone else.
Same arguments for BODs inclusion can be used for Wilkinson - if they're on form then take them, f**k the reputation.

Of course, there's a while to go yet - Keatley, Madigan, Burns, Biggar/Hook (both more likely due to their nation) could come to the fore, internationally, who knows.

Yeah, but BOD and Wilko isn't Welsh...

I'm firmly of the belief that only current International players should tour. Wilkinson is retired so in my eyes ineligible. If he wants to play another international then wait for a invitation for the Baa Baa's.

I'm firmly of the belief that only current International players should tour. Wilkinson is retired so in my eyes ineligible. If he wants to play another international then wait for a invitation for the Baa Baa's.

Given that players have been called up for the Lions before receiving a senior international cap that's a fairly poor argument imo.

I haven't seen St J of W play in ages, but some of my friends watch Toulon Anglais fairly often and say nice things, although they like SArmitage more. If he's in form he should be considered because, as Olyy points out, our choices at 10 consist of Sexton and a cloning machine.

If we call for Wilkinson without watching him then why not Hook?

'cos Hook is ****. Always has been (bar a few moments - even a broken clock is right twice a day). Unfortunately far too many people cannot differentiate between skillful and useful.

A more talented but less effective player you will struggle to find.

'cos Hook is ****. Always has been (bar a few moments - even a broken clock is right twice a day). Unfortunately far too many people cannot differentiate between skillful and useful.

A more talented but less effective player you will struggle to find.

Pierre Spies - what do I win?

Latest posts