• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2013 British and Irish Lions

James Hook, Dwanye Peel, Jim Hamilton, Paul James, Joe Rokocoko, Paul James, Zanni all for Baa Baas

What's the general opinion for the South African and New Zealanders, would you rather see the Lions win or Aussies win? Or not really bothered?

Long as it's a good series, I'll be happy. Preferably tied up at 1 all going into the last match.

So basing this selection purely on the Telegraph's player stats thingy the Lions starting team should be as follows.

Attacking - Looking at Turnovers made, Carries, Tries, Defenders beaten, etc

15 Halfpenny
14 Bowe
13 Tualagi
12 Roberts
11 Cuthbert
10 Sexton
9 Phillips
8 Faletau
7 O'Brien
6 Lydiate
5 O'Connell
4 Gray
3 Cole
2 Youngs
1 Healy

Defensive - Tackle % and Turnovers conceded

15 Halfpenny
14 Maitland
13 Davies
12 O'Driscoll
11 North
10 Sexton
9 Murray
8 Faletau
7 Tipuric
6 Lydiate
5 O'Connell
4 Gray
3 Jones
2 Hibbard
1 Healy

Probably lots of mistakes in there as it was a brief run through but that's the jist of it, I've noticed Irish players concede a **** load of turn over ball, something Schmidt will have to work on, maybe I should give him a call.

So according to the info the dead certs are

15 Halfpenny
10 Sexton
8 Faletau
6 Lydiate
5 O'Connell
4 Gray
1 Healy

Ok what else other than revision can I do?

Last edited:
What's the general opinion for the South African and New Zealanders, would you rather see the Lions win or Aussies win? Or not really bothered?
Tough call. If the Aussies were stronger in recent times I would probably want the Lions to win, as it stands though I almost feel like the Lions are the favourites, which makes me want the Aussies to make a go of it.

In all honestly it's probably going to be one of those matches where I only know who I'm supporting when the game starts and the points start being scored, you can lie to you mates but you can't lie to yourself.

In relation to your point SomeOke. Is this the poorest host team for a long time?

In relation to your point SomeOke. Is this the poorest host team for a long time?
I'm afraid I'm not old enough to answer this question, certainly the poorest out of the last 2 tours, that may be SA bias but I don't think so.

edit: I just don't feel like the Wallabies have "kicked off" like their young side should have after 2011, some of their key backline generals; Cooper, Genia, O Connor, Beale haven't matured as players and if anything have decayed a bit, if you add that to the fact that Aussie forwards are their to equalize, not dominate it doesn't leave them with much.

No I think last 4/5 host teams were definitely stronger for sure

Dont underestimate them too much . Brumbies and reds in top 4 of the super rugby and brumbies have scored an average of nearly 30 points a game . I would say the only place we have an advantage is the bench and impact subs .

Dont underestimate them too much . Brumbies and reds in top 4 of the super rugby and brumbies have scored an average of nearly 30 points a game . I would say the only place we have an advantage is the bench and impact subs .
Aussie teams did start Super Rugby 1 week early which means that the Reds and Brumbies are artificially inflated a little, not to mention their conference is generally considered to be the least competitive which means they get a substantial advantage, and all of the SA/NZ teams have been an inconsistent mess this year which does nullify it a little.

That said - yes they are stronger, I'm not to convinced they are that much stronger than last year but time will tell. In general Super Rugby has been a bit of a shambles this year and I think you'll find most SH supporters will agree with this. Aus will never be easy as they are a quality side even through bad times but if you take the side pound for pound I see little reason to think Aus can win any games, as they're out matched in virtually every position (scrum half?).

I'm not underestimating them but compared to last 3 tours the difference in packs is massive

Jenkins will make an ideal mid week captain.

I think come test time he will be third choice barring injury.

Jenkins will make an ideal mid week captain.

I think come test time he will be third choice barring injury.

Vinipula is an excellent prospect, but I'm sorry, he's not ahead of Jenkins yet.

It seems a lot of people have written Jenkins off. I honestly wouldn't be at all surprised if Jenkins is first choice with Healy used as an impact sub. Gatland has talked a bit about the balance of the starting players and looking at players who will make an impact from the bench.

Either way, I think it'll be Healy and Jenkins in the test squad, and rightly so imo.

I think that Healy as an impact sub would be great, but you do have start the from player and right now thats Healy it may well change by the time we get to the first test. Also if he wanted an impact sub Vunipola is probably better then Healy, still for now test LH's should be Healy and Jenkins.

I'd imagine Healy is a better impact sub than Vunipola tbh. Right now the test squad looseheads are Jenkins and Healy barring a) injury b) a freakish run of form from Vunipola, who does have the potential to do so.

I think that Healy as an impact sub would be great, but you do have start the from player and right now thats Healy it may well change by the time we get to the first test. Also if he wanted an impact sub Vunipola is probably better then Healy, still for now test LH's should be Healy and Jenkins.

Yeah I agree, I'd personally still start Healy at this moment in time Just putting forward something I believe Gatland may be interested in trying from the stuff he's been saying. I'd say that Healy would be a better impact sub that Vunipola, because his scrummaging is better. Jenkins doesn't make a poor player to have off the bench either, he's still an excellent prop in the loose in a different sort of way to Healy and Vunipola.

Vinipula is an excellent prospect, but I'm sorry, he's not ahead of Jenkins yet.

It seems a lot of people have written Jenkins off. I honestly wouldn't be at all surprised if Jenkins is first choice with Healy used as an impact sub. Gatland has talked a bit about the balance of the starting players and looking at players who will make an impact from the bench.

Either way, I think it'll be Healy and Jenkins in the test squad, and rightly so imo.

Thats why I said come test time. Right now, Jenkins is above him in the pecking order but I can see Vunipola ripping it up down under in the build up and forcing his way in to the test 23.

People keep talking about horses for courses ( one of the reasons cited on here for Jenkins selection over the likes of Sheridan and even James ) and it applies here too. Mako, on Saracens new summer like hard ground, has been monstrous.

There always seems to be someone who travels and looks a cert for the midweek side who comes through and makes an impression on the tests. Vunipola is my pick this year.

Last edited:
Which Lions tests should I re-watch in preparation for the tour? I've got all the tests from the 1977 tour onwards. I've re-watched the 2009 tour games a few times, and I'm not sure I want to re-watch the 2005 tour games. I've also watched the classic 1977 match a few times on youtube. Which of the others should I watch first?

Which Lions tests should I re-watch in preparation for the tour? I've got all the tests from the 1977 tour onwards. I've re-watched the 2009 tour games a few times, and I'm not sure I want to re-watch the 2005 tour games. I've also watched the classic 1977 match a few times on youtube. Which of the others should I watch first?
What about the 89 tour to oz, after the first test I thought the Lions were onto a hiding but Teague came back into the test team and the Lions played 2 storming tests to take the series 2-1.

Latest posts