• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 6 Nations: Ireland vs Italy (Round 4)

iINDOMINUSxx

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Edinburgh
Ireland.png
Versus%20Eccellenza.png
Italy.png

Ireland vs Italy

Date: Saturday, March 8th 2014 - 14:30 GMT (UTC+0)
Referee:​ Nigel Owens (Wales)

revenge time for Ireland. They need to play this one just as hard as any of those other matches so far. Can't underestimate Italy now, they're wounded and winless and coming off one of the most heartbreaking matches of their history, and boy they've had many...
Ireland will want to rack up as many points as possible here, as we all know now the tournament ***le will be played on pts difference...

revenge time for Ireland. They need to play this one just as hard as any of those other matches so far. Can't underestimate Italy now, they're wounded and winless and coming off one of the most heartbreaking matches of their history, and boy they've had many...
Ireland will want to rack up as many points as possible here, as we all know now the tournament ***le will be played on pts difference...

Yes a 15 < Ireland win will leave us in a position where a win in France will get us the ***le. I can't see England or Wales winning their remaining two games by 40 or 60 respectively.

Ireland don't need to get that many points, they just have to win. They already have such a huge points buffer nobody else can catch up without a seriously freakish score. The decider for Ireland will be their last week, win they win the 6N or lose and either England, Wales or France get it.

mmmm so for France we basically have to win the last two, and get a maximum of points in Murrayfield. We beat Italy by 20 but then lost in Cardiff by fkn 21, what a pure fkn waste...our heaviest loss in Cardiff since 1950 to give you an idea...

anyways, this is going to be an interesting game nonetheless. Italy like to produce a nice match every once in a while, and this here would be sort of like last year's trip to Twickenham for them: middle of the tournament, away game. Maybe 3 straight losses will have them react a little, we know they can play strong solid Rugby for long stretches. They played fairly well in Wales, and despite losing to Scotland at home they had some very good moments on both ends of the field.

I have a gut feeling perhaps this won't be as big a victory as we think for Ireland, although I really wouldn't bet even 10 bucks on Italy pulling the upset.

Their lineout will have to be near perfect (not like the fkn Scotland game), their defense will have to be focused the whole match (not just 80% of the time), they'll have to attack aggressively and with pace as we've seen them do and focus hard not to commit all those handling errors so systematically. The scrum will be just fine, they've got some very young backs with pace and athleticism this year, including Tommaso Allan who's been quite good at 10 for such a youngster. Castro has been present in the loose, and there's always Sergio Parisse.
Their pack has good enough technical knowledge and power to compete with Ireland's.

They've clearly got what it takes; although some new faces are very very new/young; but they need what they lack 9/10 times: consistency throughout a match. It would take a HUGE effort, but it's actually possible if one thinks about it for a moment. But I fear Ireland are a bit too focused this year, and it's very unlikely Italy will pull the match I have in mind out of their bag of tricks here...their Rugby is just too fluctuating still.

So PO'M's a doubt...
As long as he isn't a doubt for France too this could be a good opportunity for a backrower. Personally I'd start Henderson at 6 with Ryan covering lock if he's back but I guess this will change opinion from province to province

So PO'M's a doubt...

Would've expected him to be rested along with Murray, hopefully Sexton (who has to play this weekend) and D'Arcy.
Can't see us hammering Italy but it's not impossible either. We need to put bit of speed in backs and 1 or 2 like Henderson will be useful for this game. I'd expect maybe 1 of front 5 too will be rested.

@UlsterRugby Ryan is back and flying it was brilliant yesterday along with 1 Zebo who scored again but more impressive was his kicking and defence.

Last edited:
Granted all are fit I'd like to see:

1. Healy
2. Best
3. Moore
4. O'Connell
5. Toner
6. O'Mahoney
7. O'Donnell
8. Heaslip
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Zebo
12. D'Arcy
13. O'Driscoll
14. Fitzgerald
15. Kearney

16. Cronin
17. McGrath
18. Ross
19. Ryan
20. Henderson
21. Reddan
22. Jackson
23. McFadden

Half backs need to step it back up after their average game against England, O'Donnell in ahead of Henry just to give us better go forward ball to put a big score on the Italians, Wings to get us those linebreaks that are needed and that bench is a little bit better than what we had against England, if Reddan had have been fit enough for the game he'd have definitely been used for example.

Seriously, why are we continuing to play D'arcy? He is playing better than Marshall, but he's 34, and are people expecting him to play international rugby next year / World Cup? It really is just stunting the development of Marshall, and to be honest he offers much more in attack, against Wales D'arcy was just taking countless crash balls that weren't really that effective.

Italy really is the perfect game to give him, I know they've done alright against France and Wales but I really can't see this game being within 10 points at the very least.

1: McGrath
2: Best
3: Moore
4: O'Connell
5: Toner
6: Henderson
7: Henry / TO'D
8: Murphy
9: Murray
10: Sexton
11: Zebo
12: Marshall
13: BO'D
14: Fitzgerald
15: Kearney

16: Healy
17: Cronin
18: Ross
19: Ryan
20: TO'D / Henry
21: Boss
22: Jackson
23: McFadden

I would like to see at around 60 minutes O'Driscoll off for McFadden and move Fitzgerald into 13.
Could 12: Marshall 13: Fitzgerald work?

Seriously, why are we continuing to play D'arcy? He is playing better than Marshall, but he's 34, and are people expecting him to play international rugby next year / World Cup? It really is just stunting the development of Marshall, and to be honest he offers much more in attack, against Wales D'arcy was just taking countless crash balls that weren't really that effective.

I honestly think D'Arcy has the 2015 world cup in him, whether he can keep up his form and stay ahead of Marshall is another question but D'Arcy is a year younger than O'Driscoll, only got into the national team properly in 2004 and has had less serious injuries. If we have attacking wings BO'D and D'Arcy both start to become sexy in attack again and D'Arcy to be honest offered much more against Wales and probably England as well in attack than Marshall did against Scotland.

I think it's pointless having McFadden on bench. Yes he can cover a lot but isn't guys who you spring on to really impact game. For example I think reason Ulster don't like starting Henderson much is he is an impact player. He comes on and will make a difference. I think had someone like Zebo been on bench vs England same. Madigan on form can be same case.
I just think we do have options that our bench should be stacked with impact.
My team vs Italy would be:

Healy
Best
Ross
POC
Toner
Henderson
TOD/Henry
Heaslip
Murray
Jackson
Zebo
Marshall
Bod
Kearney
Kearney

McGrath/Kilcoyne
Strauss
Moore
D. Ryan
TOD/Henry/Ruddock
Reddan
Madigan
Fitzgearld

Here I'd be looking to try get a lead and have POC out of there by 50. I've sexton out as I think we need him for French game and fact he has to play club game this weekend. POM and D'Arcy rested. But more so I think all bench could be great impact and keep momentum going.
It's only 5 changes which keeps some stability but freshens things up

I'd start Jackson, Sexton looks like he needs some time off and I'd also start Hendo and Marshall. Also perfect time to bring in Fitzgerald, I'd have him over Zebo. Might be an idea to rest BO'D so you can get him to 140 caps with being almost dead.

Personally, I'd rest everyone over the age of 30 in that team for France, bring in more attacking wingers and that's it bare injury replacements. I'd definitely rest POC. That was not the performance of a peak POC and you want that for France. I don't see him putting in a great performance against Italy and then one against France.

Only problem is that it's basically rotating out the entire back-line which isn't ideal for building accuracy. Expect we might see things more conservatively done and players replaced early.

Schmidt has talked about building a squad, if Sexton plays this weekend for RM92 will he give Jackson the start against Italy? I doubt it somehow, but it could be a good option.

I wouldn't play Henderson at 6, let him focus on playing in the row. Might start him over POC though, depends whether the coaches think POC needs match fitness or a rest. Henderson is an excellent bench option, should have been on earlier against England. If POM is not fit, start Murphy.

I think O'Donnell deserves a crack at the 7 jersey, Henry has been good, but let's see what TOD can do.

Zebo in for Dave Kearney is a no brainer, lets see what he does with the opportunity.

I'd like to see Marshall rotated back in for D'Arcy too. No way Marshall only deserves one game this tournament, he was good against Scotland.

Agreed changes need to be made to just freshen it up and rotate ever so slightly.

1. Cian Healy
2. Rory Best
3. Martin Moore
4. Devin Toner
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Iain Henderson
7. Peter O'Mahony
8. Jamie Heaslip
9. Conor Murray
10. Johnny Sexton
11. Dave Kearney
12. Luke Marshall